Egg crate Mattress Toppers NO MORE?

-Lew-

I just received a message from my TA telling me that Princess has discontinued providing egg crate mattress toppers. Specifically, my request was for the Royal Maiden T/A in October 2013.

We disembarked the Emerald on February 16th and we did have a mattress topper.

Has anyone else heard of this new policy?

Lew

Oh boy-and here I thought the balcony chair discussion brought out some very strong opinions. This one is gonna be even bigger.:eek:

As to your question, I have not heard one way or the other, but I would not at all be surprised to find out your information is correct and you just happened to hear it first.

I was just reading about the Royal and it mentioned that the beds will have pillow top matresses. This could be the reason.:rolleyes:

If that's true, great! The impression I get from the message I received is that the mattress toppers were discontinued fleet-wide.

I answered with a request that she confirm with a Princess supervisor.

Thought this happened quite awhile ago.

As I mentioned in my OP, we had one on the Emerald in February.

Lew

:eek:

On my Star Princess cruise I got almost no sleep the first night because the mattress was like a rock - it was just awful :( The next day I asked for an egg crate and got one. I slept like a rock the rest of the cruise (except when Mom's snoring woke me up but that's another issue).

I really hope they're still providing them on ships with old beds.

Anyone know what the beds are like on the Caribbean Princess :confused:

They definately had them on the Grand in February and it took 4 of them to make the bed even sleepable (is that word).:eek:

Princess really needs to be at least on par with the other cruise lines and put in decent beds.. The ones they use are nothing short of laughable.

319.jpg

My last two cruises both had the pillowtops installed on the mattresses. Now, on the Star I was told it was for either outside or balcony cabins and above (can't remember which off the top of my head). But it was a definite improvement. Now, no idea what that'll mean for inside people.

Having sailed twice on the Crown, I can tell you the mattress in the mini-suite was more comfortable than the balcony mattress. That being said, it wasn't bad enough for me to call and ask for an egg crate.

PS - I figure I'm a mattress snob with my sleep# bed at home so nothing will compare.;)

I just received a message from my TA telling me that Princess has discontinued providing egg crate mattress toppers. Specifically, my request was for the Royal Maiden T/A in October 2013.

Lew

The Royal will have ONLY pillow-top mattresses. An egg crate would be redundant so thus the response from your TA.

Princess is apparently slowly but surely replacing the mattresses with pillow-tops. I just had one in my standard balcony cabin on the Star Princess. I wouldn't get all upset if the answer you're getting is that you can't get an egg crate. Chances are you won't need one.

See above ^^. Pillow top.

Ah, thank you Pam. Didn't see your post - guess I sat on the page and didn't refresh before posting my question.

Geez, I was afraid I might have to add an egg crate to my growing list of things like decent sized tables, comfortable chairs, and deck mats :p

Lew

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=400&src=tocc

Does anyone know if suites have better mattresses? Only reason I ask is because my husband has degenerative disc disease and will be in agony if the mattress is rock hard as I am reading the Princess mattresses are.

My husband is the same way, but he needs a hard mattress. At home we sleep great with a tempurpedic mattress. He never had any problem on any Princess ship either because they are hard. In our RV, we put a memory foam topper because that mattress was way too hard.

I think that if Princess replaces the mattresses with pillowtop ones, then a egg crate would not be needed. The egg crates are BTW, very difficult to clean. At a certain Veteran home near us, they throw the egg crates out often because they can't clean them well.

We have never used one of those egg crates but it is nice to hear Princess is going to Pillow Top mattresses. Those egg crate thingys are NASTY looking, dirty & squishy looking. We peeked into see an aft cabin and there was one on the bed...Eeewww I don't think I could sleep knowing one of those things were under me.:eek:

When we were on the Grand last August I asked for an egg crate topper as the bed was like a rock. We were given a pillow topper and told they were replacing all the mattresses with pillow top mattresses as they wore out. Asked for a pillow topper on the Emerald in October but could only have an egg crate. Seems like it is pot luck until they are all changed over.

We have never used one of those egg crates but it is nice to hear Princess is going to Pillow Top mattresses. Those egg crate thingys are NASTY looking, dirty & squishy looking. We peeked into see an aft cabin and there was one on the bed...Eeewww I don't think I could sleep knowing one of those things were under me.:eek:

After finding out just how much good that do I doubt if I'll even ask for another one. I doubt if they even cleaned them. :eek: I might even begin to bring my own foam mattress from home.

Archived