Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love love socializing! I am a people person and love to talk people's head's off So I am loving my first Roll Call, people have pics up as there avatar but I look forward to seeing everyone and putting a name to a face so to speak!

Just a cool quote(saying) I found:

Cruising let's you share a back porch with a billionaire. In Turkey we anchored next to a diamond merchant's 200 foot megayacht for two days. He spent 50 million dollars to visit the same destination as us. Some people buy floating condominiums and some people buy the sailing equivalent of a cargo crate, but we all meet at the same barbecue pit on the beach.

Carnival Fascination-5 days April 28, 2012
Carnival Paradise-7 days 1999

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I am "middle of the road", neither a social butterfly, nor an introvert, however, my two times on roll calls, were less than stellar experiences. Mostly I think, because the people on the roll calls were couples, and I was either travelling solo or with my mother. Anything I had to say on the roll call, was rarely responded to, yet the others, mostly couples were chattering daily among themselves, arranging tours etc. So, I took the cue, that I was not interesting, therefore, did not make any attempt to touch base on board. I did however meet some very nice people on board, who were not on roll call, and most often who knew nothing of Cruise Critic. My point is; I dont need roll call. I can have a good time without it. Just me.

Last edited by SMSACE6; March 26th, 2012 at 07:35 PM.

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

I join or create a roll call for all our cruises

Last edited by rwdtgb; March 26th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM
5,000+ Club

I am the one of the two of us who usually post on CC and on the roll calls. We have had some really great ones and some that were not so great. I guess it depends on the group cruising. For example, we are retired so when the roll call gets to talking about taking their kids on the cruise and what is there to do, where can they meet other kids, I pretty much stop posting.

Many have started out with talking about doing "adult" things, ie poker crawls, slot tournaments, and cocktail parties, but then others have taken over. I feel you want to take over, go for it and I don't post often and rarely if ever go to the Meet N Greet.

A lot depends on the roll call how involved we get. I am quiet in person and my DH can talk to anyone about anything. He is far more outgoing and friendly than I. Our last cruise roll call had a great start and then poof, it got to be more about the kids and what they wanted than those of us who had been chatting for a long time.

The cruise before that, we had groups of couples, families and we all chatted and had a great time online before meeting the first day onboard. Different groups equal different people. It's NOT just the time of year as both of our last cruises involved vacations from school.

Joining a roll call and meeting the people can be fun, but to us, if we don't meet, we still have a great time.

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs CruisinCritter View Post
LOL You have peaked my curiousity!
HAHAHA! I was going to say its really no big deal, but you kinda hit the nail on the head here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs CruisinCritter View Post
Now my only problem is my tendency to over-think things. I will spend the next several days trying to decide what to title the thread, but I'm sure I will probably just go basic with the ship name and date like most of the others. lol Anxiety can be a real hurdle sometimes
I "think" that people tend to think that Im a weirdo at first because of my attention to detail and dispersing of information. I like to be precise and prepared, and most people (especially on vacation) are go with the flow. Lots of people dont know what to do with a lot of info. Im not always so "Type A," but planning and details are my forte, and without them, I sometimes get lost in the fluff! Once I get all the basics covered, I tend to loosen up and become "fun!"
Call it whatever you want, but thats my theory!
01/29/11 - (5day) Carnival Destiny (Miami) - Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman
04/28/13 - (7day) Carnival Valor (San Juan) - St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten
09/14/14 - (7day) Carnival Pride (Baltimore) - Port Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport

Unofficial VP of Port Inspection

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've joined the roll calls for all of our cruises except the one coming up. Only the meet and greet on the NCL cruise was a success, but having roll call "friends" was great in a lot of ways. I'll keep joining roll calls.

I would really like to be involved in one this time, too, but after reading the several hundred Roll Call posts for our sailing date, it's obvious that roll call consists of 4 cruise buddies who already know each other and who put a big priority on boozing. They seem embrace the "more the merrier" approach to partying and are welcoming enough, but that kind of partying is not my thing. I have thought about starting my own alternative roll call for the non-boozing crowd.

DCL - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014
NCL - Pearl, November 2010
CCL - Pride, September 2012, Thanksgiving 2013

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:19 AM
5,000+ Club

I tend to cruise last minute (3-5 days before the cruise), so by the time I get to the ROLL CALL half of the participants have been posting for a year and a half ! ! They know the names and ages of each others kids for Pete's sake ! ! Somebody has already made special shirts which everyone is supposed to be wearing (either that or stupid beads) and invariably they want to have the Meet'n'Greet on the day of the cruise. Dumb idea, IMHO. Everybody is pooped from traveling. Many want to explore the ship, get something to eat, check out their cabin, go to muster drill, and be topside for the sailaway. Too much to do that same day.

The best Meet'n'Greets I've attended were the first sea day morning around 10:00 on the Lido where there is a bar for the drinkers, food close by and a unique spot where everyone can sit, eat or drink and will know that these are Meeters and Greeters.

Don't often attend these any more.

Cruise Pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wearyeagle/sets/

Carnival Miracle again March 1st - Mexican Riviera
Carnival INSPIRATION - February 10th - can't beat these prices, folks. Gotta do it again.
Carnival IMAGINATION - Ensenada, Catalina again
it never gets old.
Carnival INSPIRATION - Ensenada, Mexico, Santa Catalina, CA (26 miles across the sea)
PRINCESS STAR - Alaska, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria, B.C.
Carnival MIRACLE - So Caribbean, Grand Turk, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba
Carnival SPLENDOR X 4 - Mexican Riviera BF & AF, sister of the Costa CONCORDIA
Carnival SPIRIT lower Mexican Riviera, Acapulco,Zihuantenejo/Ixtapa,Manzanillo
Carnival VICTORY X 2 Halifax, Nova Scotia - Cozumel, Panama, Montego Bay
Carnival LEGEND - Eastern Caribbean
Carnnival PRIDE X 2 Mexican Riviera PLATINUM !
Carnival GLORY X 2 Western Caribbean & Eastern Caribbean
Carnival ELATION X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival JUBILEE X 3 Mexican Riviera
Carnival TROPICALE X 3 Mexican Riviera
NCL SEAWARD Western Caribbean
PACQUET LINES (French ship disaster) LA to Vancouver

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glrounds View Post
I tend to cruise last minute (3-5 days before the cruise), so by the time I get to the ROLL CALL half of the participants have been posting for a year and a half ! ! They know the names and ages of each others kids for Pete's sake ! ! Somebody has already made special shirts which everyone is supposed to be wearing (either that or stupid beads) and invariably they want to have the Meet'n'Greet on the day of the cruise. Dumb idea, IMHO. Everybody is pooped from traveling. Many want to explore the ship, get something to eat, check out their cabin, go to muster drill, and be topside for the sailaway. Too much to do that same day.

The best Meet'n'Greets I've attended were the first sea day morning around 10:00 on the Lido where there is a bar for the drinkers, food close by and a unique spot where everyone can sit, eat or drink and will know that these are Meeters and Greeters.

Don't often attend these any more.

You hit the nail on the head. After a dozen cruises we know that plans
change and the turn out is never 100% on sail away. In fact 10% is more
like it.

Our best turnouts have been for 'cabin crawls' on the second morning around 10:30 AM.

Old March 27th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default So glad we met our roll call group this time

Our first 3 cruises I lurked on the boards and probably mentioned we would be on the sailing, but didn't want to commit to being anywhere at any certain time and didn't want name tags etc.

We just got off of the Liberty 3/17 sailing and I have to say the roll call group made it so much fun. We met fabulous people and will likely keep in touch with a couple of them.

CountdownClockCodes.com

Carnival Legend 10/08 - Western
Carnival Dream 2/10 - Eastern
Carnival Splendor 2/11 - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Liberty 3/12 - Exotic Eastern
Carnival Breeze 2/13 - Southern
Carnival Sunshine 3/14 - Western
Carnival Conquest 4/15 - Eastern

Old March 27th, 2012, 08:58 PM
5,000+ Club

I don't mind joining a roll call but the really active ones kind of annoy me. I don't want to have a meet, a secondary meet, a pub crawl, a cocktail party and a poker run. I don't want to commit that much time on my cruise to preset activities. I'd rather go with the flow.
Carnival Legend 10/24/10 - Halloween x2!
Carnival Legend 1/27/13 - Upgrade to an extended balcony
Carnival Glory 11/1/14 - New adventures await!

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have been on several cruises as a single parent, and I am somewhat shy. I have never really participated in Roll Calls before because they have usually been centered around couples doing things with other couples. But on my upcoming cruise, I am participating in the one for this cruise. We have a great variety of people on this roll call. We have a couple of m&gs going on, and I am looking forward to meeting new people!
I say check out the roll call for your cruise if there is one. If there isn't one, start one. See where it takes you. You are not obligated to share anything you aren't comfortable sharing. And if you decide not to meet anyone, that is cool, too. Its all about your cruise and what you want it to be. Just have fun with it.

Susie
Carnival Miracle 2005
Carnival Conquest 2007
Carnival Glory 2009
Carnival Dream 2012
Norwegian Getaway 2014

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have been on some amazing Roll Calls, we have been on some Roll Calls that moved slower than molasses, and we've been on Roll Calls where some of the participants forgot that they left high school years ago!!!

On each of the "amazing" Roll Calls, we have met couples that we have stayed in touch with, cruised with multiple times, and have developed friendships that hopefully will never die.

My husband and I enjoy hanging with our new friends while on board, sharing excursions/meals with them, and we also enjoy our time alone chilling out. All in all, the roll call, as well as the cruise, is what you make of it. As long as you go with an open mind, the sky's the limit!

Cary and Susan

Bawston Boy + Jersey Girl (plus our cruising mascot Jumbo the Elephant) = match made in heaven!

I admit that we're cruise junkies!!!!

Way too many cruises to count:
15 on Carnival
2 on Norwegian
2 on Royal Caribbean

Old May 5th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Rolls calls add excitement to your trip. I am a new carnival cruiser so, I will enjoy any info other cruisers are willing to share. I too have made friends that hopefully will last through the yrs.

Old May 6th, 2012, 12:05 AM
5,000+ Club

I think the roll-call is part of the overall cruise experience!

1/8/15 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/8/14 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze Part 2)
1/12/14 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
10/10/13 Victory B2B (Victory is Mine)
1/13/13 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/24/12 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze)
1/15/12 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
12/4/11 Miracle (x-mas on the beach)
1/16/11 Noordam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
9/18/10 Fantasy
9/20/09 Sensation
11/08 Westerdam (Dave Koz & Friends)
2008 Caribbean Princess
10/2/06 Celebration
10/9/05 Destiny
2002 Costa Cruise Line

Old May 6th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

I like the roll calls, but nobody has posted on ours for over a month. Our cruise is Aug 19

Old May 6th, 2012, 07:14 AM
5,000+ Club

I love the roll calls. I have met some wonderful people that will be friends for life. The meet and greets are a great place to meet your roll call buddies. We have gotten to the city of our cruise the night before and met up with folks for dinner. Just a great time.

CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION 12/9/13

2012 Carnival Imagination
2011 Liberty Looneys
2010 Carnival Dream
2009 Carnival Ledgend
2008 Princess Crown
2008 Carnival Victory 6/7
2007 Star Princess
2006 Caribbean Princess
2005 Holland America - Zuiderdam

Old May 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I do join and have been to several meet and greets...a couple duds and a couple very good M&G's. For me when a roll call is active I check and comment often but when one is slow I rarely chime in because it is so long for a reply...currently ours has stopped.
Carnival Fantasy...July 2 2011
Celebrity Mercury....April 9, 2010
Royal Caribbean-Monarch/Seas...Aug. 31 2009
Star Princess...........July 19 2009
Carnival Destiny.....Oct 6 2008
HAL Zuiderdam.......Oct 27 2007
HAL Zuiderdam.......Nov 11, 2006
HAL Oosterdam......May 19, 2006
HAL Zaandam.........March, 2005
Carnival Triumph....June, 2002
Celebrity Meridian...Oct, 1996
Royal Caribbean....Sept 16, 1991

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Ever since my 2nd cruise, when introduced to this website, I connected w/ the people on the roll calls for each cruise. Several of those cruises were solo, others w/ family. The roll calls w/ the Meet n Mingles or Greet resulted very positive. Some ships provide the space w/ goodies refreshments, snacks and raffles (once won a $50.00 internet voucher). Other ships just provided the space. It's a nice way to run into that person or persons later on in the ship and share upto date experiences.
My reason for connecting on the roll calls, and it's only when able, given the busy daily schedules, and not wanting to get on the computer after working on one all day, but this is the way of venting and expressing my anxiousness for that upcoming cruise. Continued contact w/ the roll call cruiser depends on many things and one is there to vacation and choose as it seems...after the rc, I'm on my own to CRUUUUUIIIIISE AWAYYYYY
11/06-NCL-Dawn/Western Caribbean - 11 days
5/07-CCL-Destiny/Southern Caribbean - 7days
10/07-NCL-Crown/Bermuda - 7 days
10/08-NCL-Jewel/Caribbean (Repo) -12 days
9/09-RCI-Mariner O/T Seas/Mex Riviera -7 days
12/09-RCI-Oasis O/T Seas/ Caribbean -7 days
6/10-CCL-Miracle/Exotic Bahamas - 8 days
12/10-RCI-Explorer O/T Seas/Caribbean - 9 days
7/11 - CCL-Glory / New EngCanada - 5 days
6/12 - CCL Miracle/East Caribbean - 8 days
12/12-RCI-Explorer O/T Seas/E Caribbean - 10 days
4/13-CCL-Splendor/E. Caribbean-8 days
12/13-NCL-Breakaway/Bahamas - 7 days
5/14- CCL-Splendor/E. Caribbean -8 days
11/14 - NCL-Gem/E. Caribbean-9 days

Last edited by Chikita; May 6th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have done roll calls since we found CC. We are the same as most-I'm the quieter one and DH will talk to most anyone. We have met people from all over the world and people close to home that we didn't know cruised. On some M&G's we went to pre-cruise M&G's-met some great people and some we decided to stay far away from. It's fun meeting people and finding out about them. One rollcall we all went on a snorkeling excursion together. We're talking on a roll call for our Dec. cruise now. It was slow but is beginning to pick up as we get closer. I think I will do one or the other(pre-or during but not both). It's a fun way to start the cruise.

Disney Wonder Dec 2006
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Nov 2007
Disney Wonder Mar 2009
Disney Wonder Oct 2009
Disney Wonder Oct 2010
CCL Fantasy Dec 2011
CCL Ecstasy Dec 2012 Memorial for hubby
CCL Fantasy Dec 2013 Sister cruise

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's really weird that I'm kind of afraid to meet people I talk to on CC boards but I've been married to a guy for 12 years that I met online through a college chatroom. I'm from North Carolina and he is from Minnesota. lol
5-24-2013 Carnival Glory "Our 13th Anniversary"
9-28-2013 Carnival Dream "I'll be Dreamin'"
10-21-2013 Carnival Imagination "Family Cruise"