Do you "Roll Call"?

Just like I don't like to post when I will be on vacation on Facebook, posting a Roll Call can be risky. I don't think I would want people to know my house is vacant for a certain period of time. Am I right?

Probably not, don't think that would be a problem....you just never know.

Doug

Just like I don't like to post when I will be on vacation on Facebook, posting a Roll Call can be risky. I don't think I would want people to know my house is vacant for a certain period of time. Am I right?

If you don't tell people where you live or your real full name, it's pretty hard for them to find your house. Facebook, I agree.

I do roll call. I tend to keep more to myself when I travel, but looking forward to a pretty good sized M&G.

If I don't end up liking folks, I figure that the ship is big enough to make myself scarce.

I have a horrible case of social anxiety and meeting people in person for the first time can make me look like the most awkward person in the world and if people can get past the first few hours and not think I'm a total weirdo then I do open up.

LOL! This is soooo me! I always post in our roll call thread, mainly to find out what excursions people are doing, to get info about ports of call, etc. I'm always too nervous to actually show up at a meet & greet, and I don't want to be full of anxiety on my vacation! BUT...I have met many wonderful CC'rs on excursions or on the ship or whatever, and they're all "Oh, Peanutzmom! I remember reading your posts! It's so nice to meet you!!" I've never met an unpleasant CC'r yet. Hmmmm. maybe I need to get over my anxiety and attend a meet & greet...

I didn't mean anything bad about roll calls and meeting people. I just meant that I'm interested in the roll calls and I wonder about joining one or starting one if there hasn't been one already, but I have a horrible case of social anxiety and meeting people in person for the first time can make me look like the most awkward person in the world and if people can get past the first few hours and not think I'm a total weirdo then I do open up. I just didn't know how others felt about roll calls. Most people find my sense of humor to be a bit odd and sometimes offensive depending on the situation because once I come out of my shell I am very loud and open about pretty much everything. It just takes me a little time and most people aren't willing to give anyone time to adjust and open up. Now my DH can walk into a room and become friends with most of the people there which helps to balance out my anxiety when it's at its worst.

No, I didn't think you meant anything bad about the roll calls at all, sorry if you thought I did. (if you thought that I thought:confused: - LOL)

I think you should join in or start the roll call. Don't feel obligated to meet anyone on the ship if you don't want to. You may be surprised, you could meet someone that you feel a "connection" with on the boards, and then feel totally at ease to meet them in person. You never know! I at one time was not as outgoing as I am now..and still am a bit shy. But have found that once I meet people, am usually glad that I did! :)

love the roll calls. we have met some great friends on our first cruise on the roll call and this summer will be our 4th time sailing together. and we live close enough that we see each other a few times during the year as well.

I don't mind if people know I am on vacation. My MIL lives with us, so if they would just take her and leave the dogs, I would be ok.

I join roll call because it's fun to post our excitement about the upcoming trip. It's also a great way to find out what hotel to stay at beforehand. Also, I like to know if there will be other kids my son's age on the cruise.

That said, unless you are interested in sitting next to me in complete silence, I have no desire to meet anyone:)

I usually do some reading in the Roll Call section for my upcoming cruises. I do chime in and just say I will be on your cruise blahblah. But I have never went to a meet and mingle.

I'm not not a very social person when it comes face to face. I have met some very nice people while cruising, but its just not my thing. Before we even left port on our last cruise we met a couple from North Dakota, I think, he was very nice. He even offered me a beer,which I passed up with much thanks.

Very well stated Interliner13. We also check in with the roll call and watch it more out of curiousity than any desire to get together with others on the ship. We travel as a family and really have the most fun as a family. We have met nice people on various cruises but it's always just a chance encounter. The one "CC Meet and Greet" we went to on te Dream was anything but friendly. If you weren't one of the regular clique who needed a drink in your hand at all times, there was no need to be there. We weren't even acknowledged and couldn't even really identify the ringleader.

Some of my "favorite people" have been because of Roll Calls. (In fact, a few of them never made it to "meet and greet" occasions, and yet, I still am in contact with them.)

I have to add, for me, it's nice to "know" some people from before you board the ship.

I realize the Roll Calls aren't for everyone, but I find it a nice way to meet new people!;)

Don't feel obligated. Going on my 12th Carnival cruise and have only been to 3 M&G's. All depends on the feel of the roll call.

Exactly. I started the RC for our next cruise, being its a Med cruise it is wonderful for getting groups together for tours....but like you said, it all depends on the feel of the RC......when the "cliques" form, I lay low, not very interested....so it depends, but there is some great info to be gleaned.

LOL! This is soooo me! I always post in our roll call thread, mainly to find out what excursions people are doing, to get info about ports of call, etc. I'm always too nervous to actually show up at a meet & greet, and I don't want to be full of anxiety on my vacation! BUT...I have met many wonderful CC'rs on excursions or on the ship or whatever, and they're all "Oh, Peanutzmom! I remember reading your posts! It's so nice to meet you!!" I've never met an unpleasant CC'r yet. Hmmmm. maybe I need to get over my anxiety and attend a meet & greet...

After reading your post I really do feel better about my anxiety and reservations on roll calls. I'm still not sure about doing meet & greets, but it would be nice to know what excursions people are doing and trying to get to know some of the people who may be doing some of the same things DH and I will be. Thank you! :)

I like the rolls calls. Good way to learn about your ship, excursions and ports. I have gone to Meet n Greets and then see the people you met around the ship. Right now I am on a very active roll call with lots of activities planned. It's a 15 day Hawaii cruise with lots of sea days that's 18 months away. We are having fun getting to know one another and plan together!

I have a touch of the social awkwardness, but tend to start opening up after a few minutes. I'm an easy person to get along with and hate that I feel awkward around new people, so I've been working really hard at trying to be less awkward. My husband on the other hand "makes friends wherever we go" (at least that is what we always say). He'll just strike up a conversation with anyone and everyone.

This describes my DH and I perfectly. I just hate that I feel even more awkward after he's already made friends with everyone in the room and I feel like they look at me and think wow she must be a hoot if she's married to him and I can be, but it just takes me a little longer. :o

No, I didn't think you meant anything bad about the roll calls at all, sorry if you thought I did. (if you thought that I thought:confused: - LOL)

I think you should join in or start the roll call. Don't feel obligated to meet anyone on the ship if you don't want to. You may be surprised, you could meet someone that you feel a "connection" with on the boards, and then feel totally at ease to meet them in person. You never know! I at one time was not as outgoing as I am now..and still am a bit shy. But have found that once I meet people, am usually glad that I did! :)

Ah it's ok! :) It's been hard to read and understand anything this evening since my DS has realized that he can test his limits with things. I never expected him to start trying to push the limits at 6mos, but as a first time parent, I learn something new every day! I'm sorry I didn't read it correctly.

You have a great point with meeting people online before going on the ship. It does make it easier to meet and get to know someone on here before meeting face to face. I really appreciate your advice! :)

Ah it's ok! :) It's been hard to read and understand anything this evening since my DS has realized that he can test his limits with things. I never expected him to start trying to push the limits at 6mos, but as a first time parent, I learn something new every day! I'm sorry I didn't read it correctly.

You have a great point with meeting people online before going on the ship. It does make it easier to meet and get to know someone on here before meeting face to face. I really appreciate your advice! :)

I hope you have a great cruise, whichever you decide to do, roll call or not / meet people or not. You WILL have a great time, I should say..so many fun things to, or just relax..it's all up to you! :D

My first cruise I didn't even know about Cruise Critic, but all google roads led here so I joined. I got on a roll call and chatted away with people. I'm a planner and an organizer, not by trade, by hobby, so on my second cruise I joined a roll call, we had three meet and greets, name tags, the works. Everyone showed up. It was fun! I met my best friend on that cruise! Our third cruise we cruised with her and her husband and we joined another roll call, and we all met up again. Third roll call, well I made some great friends, met them, loved them even more and keep in touch with them through emails. Making some great new friends on the next cruise=through roll calls. You can't however tell a book from it's cover, nor by the words they write. Some people are very expressive when they write and when you meet them, they are like blank paper=no personality. You just never know. Get your roll call going, there may be a few other socially awkward people and you could become best friends:) My hubby says that he doesn't do well socially, but he has enjoyed meeting everyone on the roll calls, and it is fun to run into people on the ship and having some friends before you even cruise.

Sail happy!

Hi,

I will be cruising in 3 weeks so this is my first roll call. Everyone on the roll call for my upcoming cruise seems very friendly, so I am looking forward to meeting them. I think rollcalls are great. It is a great way to talk to people who are interested in the same thing you are (the upcoming cruise). It is also a great way to get questions answered. Our upcoming roll call is planning a meet and greet, a slot pull, and a gift exchange. I love meeting new people, so I am looking forward to it.

I would encourage you to create a roll call if one hasn't been created for your cruise yet. You won't know if you will like it or not unless you try it. My philosophy is to try anything once, and if you don't like it you don't ever have to do it again. It is better to try something and not like it than it is to spend the rest of your life wondering what it would have been like.

You guys all have me seriously thinking about starting a roll call for at least one of our cruises. It doesn't help my that my DH is also a member on here so he's following the thread and he keeps saying "See! I told you!" after every new post. :rolleyes: Maybe I should make him start the roll call lol :D

Archived