May 13 Prinsendam TransAtlantic - AC Problems

TheThinMan

Air conditioning is mostly out (spotty) on Prinsendam and people are NOT happy. All we know so far is the usual "we're working on it"! Six more days at sea and everyone is miserable and grumpy. Only a few spots on the ship are adequately cool. Thank goodness it's cloudy -- I have a feeling I'm going to be one unhappy 3-star Mariner seeking compensation.

Air conditioning is mostly out (spotty) on Prinsendam and people are NOT happy. All we know so far is the usual "we're working on it"! Six more days at sea and everyone is miserable and grumpy. Only a few spots on the ship are adequately cool. Thank goodness it's cloudy -- I have a feeling I'm going to be one unhappy 3-star Mariner seeking compensation.

Well, welcome to cruise critic:) Your first post:rolleyes:

I hope the problems are corrected for you. We were on the ship in November and while it was only 68 degrees - that's quite bearable for us:D

I'm a little confused:confused: The Prinsendam just set sail - for heavens sake, give the people a chance to do their thing. We noticed it warmer on the first day too - but by the second day things were fine - I hope they are for you as well:)

Waiting to see what a couple of the people on the roll call say - I know a few of them.

On a transatlantic - I want smooth seas first - no sarcasm intended I'm serious. Smooth seas

Again individual solo reports of a system "not working" (out/spotty) without hearing the full story or all the details of what "not working" actually means.

Was our recent MV Discovery (older ship like the Prinsendam) A/C not working when we traversed the muggy tropics hitting over 100 degrees outside temp, or was it working well within its expectations for age of system, season traveled and location on the globe?

Sure, our cabin got hot and the system was obviously strained at that particular time and place, but we were in the tropics and it was 100 degrees outside and we did choose to go visit this part of the world on this smaller, older ship.

So in our mind everything was "working". But I am sure to others, it was not. And this is why subjective reporting here without specific, professional and technical details causes so much consternation.

It's unfortunate, but what can the capt. do? It's not as if there's a parts shop he can pull into in the mid-Atlantic.

Spend more time on deck, don't over exert, etc., etc.

Thank you. As these wonderful smaller ships get older and older, this does become part of the cruising bargain if one is to retain the sheer pleasure of still sailing them.

If people want modern and predictible, they do need to spend their money on the newer behemoths that let them pretend they never left land.

Again individual solo reports of a system "not working" (out/spotty) without hearing the full story or all the details of what "not working" actually means.

Was our recent MV Discovery (older ship like the Prinsendam) A/C not working when we traversed the muggy tropics hitting over 100 degrees outside temp, or was it working well within its expectations for age of system, season traveled and location on the globe?

Sure, our cabin got hot and the system was obviously strained at that particular time and place, but we were in the tropics and it was 100 degrees outside and we did choose to go visit this part of the world on this smaller, older ship.

So in our mind everything was "working". But I am sure to others, it was not. And this is why subjective reporting here without specific, professional and technical details causes so much consternation.

but Swiss Myst - they are not in the Amazon or the tropics (well, I guess techincally they are still in warm waters) - they are on a transatlantic.

I can't recall every reading a complaint about the A/C on this ship. I'm not saying it's not happening and I know everything is subjective - but the ship just set sail. I find it hard to believe (JMO) that there are that many unhappy campers on the ship. Most are well travelled, and repeaters of thi ship - they know what happens or can happen on an older ship -

Shiver me Timbers - I can't believe that there are that many up in arms;)

When/where were you on Discovery? We saw her in Darwin in February. Several people told us she was the old "Love Boat" (Pacific Princess), but that was wrong, she's the old Island Princess. Still, she's one of the older ships still out there. She did have some rusty spots, but looked pretty good for her age.

op what cabins are affected please? what cabin are you in ? thanks:)

Well, welcome to cruise critic:) Your first post

I hope the problems are corrected for you. We were on the ship in November and while it was only 68 degrees - that's quite bearable for us

I'm a little confused:confused: The Prinsendam just set sail - for heavens sake, give the people a chance to do their thing. We noticed it warmer on the first day too - but by the second day things were fine - I hope they are for you as well

Waiting to see what a couple of the people on the roll call say - I know a few of them.

On a transatlantic - I want smooth seas first - no sarcasm intended I'm serious. Smooth seas

Oh my, first the 'noro' on a transatlantic & now "spotty" a/c! :( Perhaps (another) HAL ship to be removed from my sailing wish list! ;)

Thank you. As these wonderful smaller ships get older and older, this does become part of the cruising bargain if one is to retain the sheer pleasure of still sailing them.

If people want modern and predictible, they do need to spend their money on the newer behemoths that let them pretend they never left land.

Good thoughts, but realistically, no matter the ship-age-or any other condition, if you book for the advertised price and you are not provided the full complement of what that price included, then consideration must come into play.

I wouldn't sail on the supertankers if they paid me, but on the ships I do sail on, I want full value as represented or I want my money back....and I don't mean credit for a future cruise with the same line...that's going from the frying pan into the fire..same with OBC..

When I hear about AC like this I always wonder how many people with balcony's are leaving their balcony door open. That will cause problems with a whole series of cabins. Then people get hot and soon more doors are open.

HAL's ships aren't all that old. Prinsendam is the only one over 20. Zuiderdam, which is having all these reports of problems is about 10. That isn't old.

Norway (formerly France) sailed for 40 years. QE2 nearly made it to 40. Saga Ruby will be 40 next year. Properly maintained, a ship can go for a long time. OK, maybe they "don't make 'em like they used to," but HAL's fleet is young enough to be kept in working order.

Yes, ship happens. But it seems to me that there's a lot more than the usual annoying "ship happens" incidents on some of the ships.

but Swiss Myst - they are not in the Amazon or the tropics (well, I guess techincally they are still in warm waters) - they are on a transatlantic.

I can't recall every reading a complaint about the A/C on this ship. I'm not saying it's not happening and I know everything is subjective - but the ship just set sail. I find it hard to believe (JMO) that there are that many unhappy campers on the ship. Most are well travelled, and repeaters of thi ship - they know what happens or can happen on an older ship -

Shiver me Timbers - I can't believe that there are that many up in arms;)

I'm retired from operations, but spent many years in the fire department including the ambulance service. One of the first things we were taught was "If it's mechanical, it can break down". Things can go wrong on any ship, new or old, and what I expect is that the staff will do their best to make it right as soon as possible. Just my opinion, but I can't imagine that wonderful crew doing anything less. With issues of repair parts possibly having to be either flown to an available port or even manufactured, sometimes instant gratification isn't possible. Lets wait and see how this situation develops.

Roy

Oh my, first the 'noro' on a transatlantic & now "spotty" a/c! :( Perhaps (another) HAL ship to be removed from my sailing wish list! ;)

NORO has been on every ship at some time or another Ward- as I've said before and I will say again, we've hit NORO before and the Prinsendam handled it far better than the NA IMO:)

You can remove her from your list if you want - she's on my list again for next year:) I have a suspicion we will hear that things have been corrected if the op comes back. and if they don't - no worries - I'll sail the Elegant Explorer any day of the week:)

Don't make a mistake and remove this ship from your bucket list. Your choice but it will be a mistake - if I'm wrong you will hear all about it next year:D

My DH and I discussed this post today. We live in SW Florida. We maintain our A/C at 80 degrees during the day and 76 degrees at night (bedtime). When we lived in NY, we kept our heat at 68 degrees at 62 at night. Summertime was 70 at night and 80 during the day while we were at work.

I truly believe it depends on where one lives. The next time I cruise, I am going to bring a thermometer and make note of the cabin temps. Frequently, I feel like the temp is like a meat locker...my DH is freezing and I am comfy. Of course, I'm splurging because I'm not paying (?) for it. LOL!

If noro on a ship stops you from sailing on her at a later date you might as well give up cruising as sooner or later all ships will have an outbreak of noro.

the magic word .. compensation

for me, it's like fingernails on a blackboard:mad:

don't understand why someone would expect "something" in return for a problem on board especially if the situation is temporary

since Prinsendam just left Sunday, doesn't it make more sense to wait and see when the situation is addressed and resolved versus worrying about compensation one day into the cruise

sorry Thin Man but this just rubbed me the wrong way

HAL is having very bad luck in this area, will it be reported next the toilets don't work? They need to go out and hire the best AC engineer and plumbers that can be found and weld those doors shut!!!

They won't do that. Think of the lost revenue if balcony cabins became ocean-view cabins!! :eek:

They won't do that. Think of the lost revenue if balcony cabins became ocean-view cabins!! :eek:

Some of the doors aren't that tight anyway. Some friends on the 2012 SA grand voyage had snow/sleet/rain blowing into their cabin with the balcony door closed.

Welcome, OP.

Happy you found us.

Hope when all is going wonderfully on Prinsendam, you'll come back and share that with us. :)

As to Prinsendam........

Drum Roll Please......

USPH Inspected Prinsendam on her day in FLL and this old ship that some say should not be sailing scored an amazing **** 98 *****.

CONGRATULATIONS to the Officers/Crew/Staff of Prinsendam. Well Done!!!

With the age of the ship does it have that many balconies anyway?

Actually she has more balconies than you would expect:D Wondering if the problem balcony door was in the new aft balconies they installed at the last drydock. I'd be willing to bet on it;) The only cabins that I definitely would not recommend on the ship and that I heard complaints about (as well as being well documented on cc).

The original cabins are truly wonderful and very different from the rest of the fleet:)

Welcome, OP.

Happy you found us.

Hope when all is going wonderfully on Prinsendam, you'll come back and share that with us. :)

As to Prinsendam........

Drum Roll Please......

USPH Inspected Prinsendam on her day in FLL and this old ship that some say should not be sailing scored an amazing **** 98 *****.

CONGRATULATIONS to the Officers/Crew/Staff of Prinsendam. Well Done!!!

Ah Judy - I'm devastated:eek::eek: She only got a 98:confused: I might have to rethink my booking:rolleyes::p (kidding of course).

Archived