Yes, the rules HAVE changed on the Flowrider

Raptor2010

We just got back from an Eastern itinerary on the Freedom and we spend lots of time on the Flowrider. I asked the Sports Staff the first day if the rules have changed and they said "yes they have", you can no longer do tricks on the boogie board. Stand up surfing is still the same, with the exception of no more extreme tricks during the "best of the best" competition at the end. :eek:

I am sure that some attorney somewhere can be thanked for that.

I agree - most large corporations have large legal firms on very hefty retainers. In order to earn said retainers they in turn hire quite a few corporate attorneys and pay them to sit around and dream up responses to all problems real and imagined. Thus there might have been a claim and they paid out hospital bills and a few thousand dollars. The corporate attorneys go into over drive and with a typical knee jerk reaction come up with new rules and restrictions. :rolleyes:

Temple1 is right on....a claim will make "warning" labels and new rules happen! I do believe that all suits should be on a "loser pay" basis...it would stop ridiculous claims, and things that you yourself should take responsibility for!!!

We just got back from an Eastern itinerary on the Freedom and we spend lots of time on the Flowrider. I asked the Sports Staff the first day if the rules have changed and they said "yes they have", you can no longer do tricks on the boogie board. Stand up surfing is still the same, with the exception of no more extreme tricks during the "best of the best" competition at the end. :eek:

That's too bad... I'm not coordinated enough to do any crazy tricks but I was thinking about taking a couple lessons at my local Florider so you never know, lol.

Nice SVT Raptor btw... One day I will have one :D I have an '04 Cobra so I need to add to the SVT coral! :cool: haha.

Thanks for the update. What's defined as an extreme trick for stand-up? An acid drop? How about a board transfer?

You may be right, I guess the waiver isn't has water tight as they thought? I'm happy to get my turn and 45 seconds of boogie boarding with no tricks, but I do enjoy watching the tricks others do and the enjoyment they get from it. I wonder if in addition they limit the amount of time for one ride? People who are very good and forced not to do tricks could probably stay on all afternoon without falling off. I can't imagine the best of the best without some tricks.

I knew the risks when I got on the flowrider. I had fun. I unfortunately broke my tailbone on the boogie board side! I did not even mention it to the staff, and I certainly did not get a lawyer. Life is full of risk verses benefit decisions. I choose to risk injury in order to enjoy the fun of using the flowrider. It was MY decision and I incurred the injury at my own risk. People need to stop expecting others to take responsibility for the risks that they choose to take.

P.S. After my tailbone healed, I did indeed go on flowrider again! :)

There is a lawyer in Miami that specializes in suing cruise ships and, yes, he did find flaws in the Flowrider waiver and has successfully sued Royal for injuries. :(

People who are very good and forced not to do tricks could probably stay on all afternoon without falling off. I can't imagine the best of the best without some tricks.

I once timed myself and stayed on the Flowrider for 30 minutes before I got bored and stepped off. So, yeah, it's not too difficult to rack up some time on the Flowrider.

I had heard in another thread that the tricks that were not allowed were ollies, kick flips, shove-its, board transfers, acid drops and whatchamacallits. Essentially anything where the rider was not on the board. I don't know. I suspect that there is some leeway there as riders demonstrate capability. :confused:

Right? DD injured her wrist boogie boarding on the flowrider... not once did I think to blame RCL!!!

I knew the risks when I got on the flowrider. I had fun. I unfortunately broke my tailbone on the boogie board side! I did not even mention it to the staff, and I certainly did not get a lawyer. Life is full of risk verses benefit decisions. I choose to risk injury in order to enjoy the fun of using the flowrider. It was MY decision and I incurred the injury at my own risk. People need to stop expecting others to take responsibility for the risks that they choose to take.

P.S. After my tailbone healed, I did indeed go on flowrider again! :)

That's too bad... I'm not coordinated enough to do any crazy tricks but I was thinking about taking a couple lessons at my local Florider so you never know, lol.

Nice SVT Raptor btw... One day I will have one :D I have an '04 Cobra so I need to add to the SVT coral! :cool: haha.

Love the Raptor, it's a very fun truck to drive. :D

Thanks for the update. What's defined as an extreme trick for stand-up? An acid drop? How about a board transfer?

Yes, board transfers and jumping from the sides of the Flowrider onto a board. We saw some kid do that last year but the lawyers say "no mas".

A few Mustangs in my coral, the SVT is a 2010 Shelby GT500. I would like to add the Veloca Raptor from Hennessy.:D

Awe... very cool!... and VERY jealous!

And just so this isn't a total hijack... make sure you drive the Raptor to the Port and bring your own boogie board! :cool:

Couldn't disagree more. We purchased our own board and we spend every morning and afternoon on the Flowrider :D

We are like you. Flow rider is a priority when we book a cruise and select our ship. I guess each person has his/her own feeling about it, but it is a huge priority for us!

I had heard in another thread that the tricks that were not allowed were ollies, kick flips, shove-its, board transfers, acid drops and whatchamacallits. Essentially anything where the rider was not on the board. I don't know. I suspect that there is some leeway there as riders demonstrate capability. :confused:

No leeway at all even advanced riders. Even staff are not allowed to perform any of the above tricks and it is strictly enforced. It is such a shame.

So what can you do? And when did they start this, we went in may and they let us do acid drops and board transfers.

Hey Lauren! They changed the rules sometime in July. Pretty much only 360's and carving.

Did you end up getting our own board?

We also were on last week (returned 9/2) and I have to say my kids were really disappointed. There was no leeway, and you had to keep the board under you at all times. So you're left with standard boogie boarding, up on your knees, sitting, 360s, and for the stand up, while they at first let my son board jump, that quickly stopped too, so really only 360s and carving.

We definitely pick the ship for the flowrider, as my kids are on it all day, as much as possible. My older son was at the advanced surfing just about every morning, and all afternoon. He was asked to participate in the best of the best competition at the end of the week.

Raptor, did you sail with us? Was that you and your wife who brought your boards and sold one to Christy?

We also were on last week (returned 9/2) and I have to say my kids were really disappointed. There was no leeway, and you had to keep the board under you at all times. So you're left with standard boogie boarding, up on your knees, sitting, 360s, and for the stand up, while they at first let my son board jump, that quickly stopped too, so really only 360s and carving.

We definitely pick the ship for the flowrider, as my kids are on it all day, as much as possible. My older son was at the advanced surfing just about every morning, and all afternoon. He was asked to participate in the best of the best competition at the end of the week.

Raptor, did you sail with us? Was that you and your wife who brought your boards and sold one to Christy?

Yes, that was us (Edna here, using Frank's log on ;)) Your son is Jason, right? He did very well on the Flowrider and FINALLY, after 5 cruises, it "clicked" for us on how to do the carving. Did you see my last run where Sandra went zipping past me in the water while I was surfing? Thank goodness neither one of us got hurt. I think the guys who pushed her in were a bit worried (as well they should have been) but we were both fine and I just laughed it off. Of course, they could have at least bought me a drink :D

So if they don't let you do anything but carving and 360's on stand-up, how do they regulate time? Advanced riders could carve and do 360's forever.

The thing that doesn't make sense is that all of the injuries seem to happen when you fall and get pushed up to the top on the hard surface. Doing tricks doesn't reduce that risk. :mad::mad::mad:

Archived