Celebrity Xpedition June 2nd Sailing Cancelled

Andy

Hi Everyone,

Celebrity posted on another thread, but as it's important, I thought it deserved it's own thread.

The June 2nd Celebrity Xpedition sailing has been cancelled. Details can be found here : http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/singleColLanding.do?pagename=travel_alert

Here's a link to Celebrity's earlier post : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38579429&postcount=68

So sorry to read this and to learn that the dreams of some will have been shattered. Thinking of you all and hope you can still enjoy this cruise one day soon

Sorry also to read of this especially for those scheduled to sail on her. Hoping that all of them can reschedule for another date in the future.

Not sure when notice went out, but I would suspect some are already there on pre cruise travels.

Not sure when notice went out, but I would suspect some are already there on pre cruise travels.

The majority of people who do the Xpedition take the 10 day package that does 2 days pre-cruise in Quito. If the ship sailed on the 2nd, their cruisetour starts today.

I hope Celebrity was able to communicate the cancellation to them in time for them to cancel (and hopefully get refunded or credited) very expensive flights. There would still be all the people who flew in for the cruisetour early.

Wow, that is really unfortunate. Hopefully Celebrity rectifies things in time for the next cruise; there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. I do think the compensation package should be a bit more generous for having to cancel such a special cruise on such short notice.

Wow, that is really unfortunate. Hopefully Celebrity rectifies things in time for the next cruise; there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. I do think the compensation package should be a bit more generous for having to cancel such a special cruise on such short notice.

Would agree with you on this type of cruise vs the many caribbean cruises available. Celebrity did step up last week, so hope for the same this week. Doing the right thing, not just the legal thing, makes me want to stay with Celebrity. :)

Still hope that even on caribbean/other cruises, they take care of their customers.

Still not sure of explanation from Celebrity and the reaction/sanction/penalty by the authorities. Might be part of reason Celebrity is doing more and acting quickly

Would agree with you on this type of cruise vs the many caribbean cruises available. Celebrity did step up last week, so hope for the same this week. Doing the right thing, not just the legal thing, makes me want to stay with Celebrity. :)

Still hope that even on caribbean/other cruises, they take care of their customers.

Still not sure of explanation from Celebrity and the reaction/sanction/penalty by the authorities. Might be part of reason Celebrity is doing more and acting quickly

Do you spell coruption with one r or two?

Hi Everyone,

Celebrity posted on another thread, but as it's important, I thought it deserved it's own thread.

The June 2nd Celebrity Xpedition sailing has been cancelled. Details can be found here : http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/singleColLanding.do?pagename=travel_alert

Here's a link to Celebrity's earlier post : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38579429&postcount=68

I did read this awhile ago, and when I click on their link on the Celebrity site, that is a pretty impersonal response.

After a phone call to the Xpedition desk, I do not think this is their fault. Almost makes you wonder if something isn't going on with a new ship coming in September. I never know what goes on with politics in these countries.

We have been on this trip and are leaving to go one more time on July 4th. Hope it gets resolved. However, if it doesn't we are just going to modify our plans and maybe to back to Chile or somewhere else in the area. We have a booking from the 16-18 at the Mashpi Lodge about three hours from Quito, and that cannot be cancelled.

What a mess. I hope everything works out for everyone.

I did read this awhile ago, and when I click on their link on the Celebrity site, that is a pretty impersonal response.

After a phone call to the Xpedition desk, I do not think this is their fault. Almost makes you wonder if something isn't going on with a new ship coming in September. I never know what goes on with politics in these countries.

We have been on this trip and are leaving to go one more time on July 4th. Hope it gets resolved. However, if it doesn't we are just going to modify our plans and maybe to back to Chile or somewhere else in the area. We have a booking from the 16-18 at the Mashpi Lodge about three hours from Quito, and that cannot be cancelled.

What a mess. I hope everything works out for everyone.

Hi MerrieM,

I'm sorry to hear of the frustrations for you and the many others whom are sailing soon. Let's hope it gets resolved in short order.

Celebrity Cruises is truly sorry that our scheduled June 2 sailing on Celebrity Xpedition has been cancelled. We understand how disappointing this is to our guests.

For the last nine years, Celebrity Xpedition’s voyages in the Galapagos have provided our guests the opportunity to experience this special destination. Celebrity Cruises understands the importance of the Park’s enforcement of their regulations, which are vital to protecting and safeguarding this unique and pristine environment. We are committed to complying with all rules and regulations.

We ask that any guests booked on the Sunday, June 2, sailing of Celebrity Xpedition please call us at 1-888-829-4050 in the U.S. and 1-408-916-9001 internationally.

Hi MerrieM,

I'm sorry to hear of the frustrations for you and the many others whom are sailing soon. Let's hope it gets resolved in short order.

Yes, it does take a lot of the excitement away when you find this out, think the problem is resolved, and then it is not.at this point, leaving a a month, I would almost just like a refund and plan my own trip.

I am scheduled to sail June 9th ans just got this from my travel agent in response to me asking if my trip is canceled.

Thank you for contacting me regarding your cruise. Yes, I know it does seem that way but I was informed at this time, your sailing is still set to sail on June 9, 2013 but I will check back on Tuesday, June 3, 2013 with the Celebrity Expedition department and get the latest update. They have informed me Tuesday is the latest they would release information regarding the sailing. I am staying on top of this for you and If I hear anything before or on Tuesday, I will let you know and keep you posted on the latest information.

I do apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing but I will assist you till we find out whats going on completely. Thank you for your patience and do not hesitate to contact me with anything regarding your cruise!

Best Regards,

Sounds like things could be happening/changing/uncertain and Celebrity wants to minimize the confusion by NOT putting out too many info releases. I can see why they want to wait and then release what I would call the final/definitive release for the week of June 9th sailing on Tuesday.

"The Galapagos National Park has cited Celebrity Xpedition for transportation and storage of 12 kilograms of frozen lobster tails in the Galapagos while out of season."

Wow, really? Could they really not have known that they were committing a crime in the area?

Seems they should know the areas they are sailing in and the laws under which they should be abiding. This just seems like a really big faux pas for them.

I really hope they get this rectified so that the next sailing on 6.9 can occur. I feel so bad for those who are likely already there only to find out their dream cruise has been cancelled.

Best do right by these passengers, Celebrity....

"The Galapagos National Park has cited Celebrity Xpedition for transportation and storage of 12 kilograms of frozen lobster tails in the Galapagos while out of season."

Wow, really? Could they really not have known that they were committing a crime in the area?

Seems they should know the areas they are sailing in and the laws under which they should be abiding. This just seems like a really big faux pas for them.

I really hope they get this rectified so that the next sailing on 6.9 can occur. I feel so bad for those who are likely already there only to find out their dream cruise has been cancelled.

Best do right by these passengers, Celebrity....

If you read further, you'll learn that the tails were bought while in season, from an approved vender, and that the rules changed recently and apparently with very little notice. The punishment does seem awfully harsh when that information is presented, especially in light of how much is charged even for the permit to bring visitors in.

If you read further, you'll learn that the tails were bought while in season, from an approved vender, and that the rules changed recently and apparently with very little notice. The punishment does seem awfully harsh when that information is presented, especially in light of how much is charged even for the permit to bring visitors in.

I totally agree. It kind of makes you wonder if they are being extra hard on the Xpedition, and if they kept it up, people would be reluctant to book.

I totally agree. It kind of makes you wonder if they are being extra hard on the Xpedition, and if they kept it up, people would be reluctant to book.

Galapagos makes it's living by cruise tours from lots of companies. Why so hard on Celebrity, especially when purchased during season? Also, if the rules just changed, you would think both the Galapagos and Celebrity would know about them. I am surprised if told there is NOT a person at Celebrity responsible for keeping up with all regulations. And you would think the Galapagos would remind those companies affected by the changes numerous times. You would think.

Something still does not add up to me.

Still hope it can be resolved so those booked will not have their great vacations cancelled.

Galapagos makes it's living by cruise tours from lots of companies. Why so hard on Celebrity, especially when purchased during season? Also, if the rules just changed, you would think both the Galapagos and Celebrity would know about them. I am surprised if told there is NOT a person at Celebrity responsible for keeping up with all regulations. And you would think the Galapagos would remind those companies affected by the changes numerous times. You would think.

Something still does not add up to me.

Still hope it can be resolved so those booked will not have their great vacations cancelled.

Totally agree

Luuucy! You got some 'splainin' to do.

Just saw this story, and I am absolutely dumbfounded - probably because I really don't know much about GNP, etc.

Questions:

1. Is there something special about these contraband lobsters? Were they Galapagos lobsters, or just regular cruise line lobsters that are served on formal night on nearly every cruise ship in the world?

2. If they were some special lobsters (which previous posts, citing claims to have been harvested "in season" may allude to), and the documentation shows that they were obtained within the rules, what in the world is wrong with these Galapagos nuts, have they never heard of a freezer before?

3. If they were just regular lobsters, with no connection to Galapagos, then who cares? Are you telling me that this one cruise port can dictate what kind of food a cruise ship is allowed to bring along for their passengers?

This story does NOT make sense. I really have ZERO tolerance for people who are in a position of authority who abuse that authority. You'd never be able to do it, because the passengers would revolt, but I wonder how many cruises the cruise lines would have to cancel in protest before the government begged them to return?

Maybe I'm off base... if someone knows some facts, I'd like to hear them.

Theron

Galapagos makes it's living by cruise tours from lots of companies. Why so hard on Celebrity...

All the other ships are locally owned. And now Silversea has bought into the game. Could this be Xenophobia?

All the other ships are locally owned. And now Silversea has bought into the game. Could this be Xenophobia?

My personal feeling is the Galapagos is trying to get rid of the Xpedition. maybe the above mentioned cruise line greased some palms. It just does not make sense.

Maybe I am cynical, but stranger things have happened, and over less than local lobsters.

Archived