Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Cunard Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Cunard Line
Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Cunard Cruise Deals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Germancruiser's Avatar
Germancruiser Germancruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,614
Default Formal shoes for men

Hi, I just came across a thread at Celebrity Forum- they talked about the perfect shoe for men to go well with tux and such!
I usualy wear my pointed dress shoes - not shiny - with the tux. What´s the fashion for " formal Cunard men" - maybe even our dress expert whitemarsh can help. Thx.
Michael
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Thaxted Thaxted is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germancruiser View Post
Hi, I just came across a thread at Celebrity Forum- they talked about the perfect shoe for men to go well with tux and such!
I usualy wear my pointed dress shoes - not shiny - with the tux. What´s the fashion for " formal Cunard men" - maybe even our dress expert whitemarsh can help. Thx.
Michael
If you search the web, you'll find that the guardians of formal wear maintain that a tuxedo requires shiny black leather shoes, and I was so excited by the prospect of our first trip on QM2, that I bought a patent leather pair that I've enjoyed ever since. But most men don't go that far. I've seen all sorts of shoes accompany tuxedos on formal nights. As long as your shoes are black and have a simple toe, I think that you'll be perfectly at home. Of course, in matters sartorial such as this, Whitemarsh may indeed issue a more definitive judgment.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Germancruiser's Avatar
Germancruiser Germancruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,614
Default

Thanks Thaxted- I also saw a lot of different " Styles" - even cowboyboots- which I must admit lookd great! I also saw some guys in ankle boots with high cuban heels- first they guy walked around , then I saw him sitting in a deck chair boots off- with obviously hurting feet- well I woulnd´t go THAT far! LOL.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Austcruiser84 Austcruiser84 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germancruiser View Post
Hi, I just came across a thread at Celebrity Forum- they talked about the perfect shoe for men to go well with tux and such!
I usualy wear my pointed dress shoes - not shiny - with the tux. What´s the fashion for " formal Cunard men" - maybe even our dress expert whitemarsh can help. Thx.
Michael
A young man who was travelling with his male benefactor had the audacity to pass a little comment about me not wearing patent leather on formal night during the Jan TA on QM2.

Consequently, I took great personal pleasure in learning that his dinner suit was second hand, as were his scratched patent leather shoes.

Personally, I don't think it matters what shoes you wear with formal attire, so long as they are black, classic and well kept.

Just dont wear the same shoes twice in one sailing!
__________________
Upcoming cruises:







...

Past cruises:

Dawn Princess Australian Coastal Oct 14
Queen Elizabeth Venice to Athens Jun to Jul 14
QM2 Hamburg to Southampton Jun 14
Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Dec 13
QM2 Caribbean/Transatlantic Dec 12 to Jan 13
Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Jan 06

Last edited by Austcruiser84; September 25th, 2013 at 02:42 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Louise D Louise D is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austcruiser84 View Post
A young man who was travelling with his male benefactor had the audacity to pass a little comment about me not wearing patent leather on formal night during the Jan TA on QM2.

Consequently, I took great personal pleasure in learning that his dinner suit was second hand, as were his scratched patent leather shoes.

Personally, I don't think it matters what shoes you wear with formal attire, so long as they are black, classic and well kept.

Just dont wear the same shoes twice in one sailing!
It is amazing how people open up to you on these topics. I can't imagine how I could work either of these subjects into polite conversation with a relative stranger.

Although how can you reconcile the fact that he had a benefactor yet was so hard pressed for funds that he was forced to wear a second hand suit?
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Austcruiser84 Austcruiser84 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise D View Post
It is amazing how people open up to you on these topics. I can't imagine how I could work either of these subjects into polite conversation with a relative stranger.

Although how can you reconcile the fact that he had a benefactor yet was so hard pressed for funds that he was forced to wear a second hand suit?
Gay men tend to be a little more open about their lives I find. Sometimes too open!

The second hand attire matter was interesting. Apparently the dinner suit and shoes were his late father's and had sentimental value. That's what the young one said to me (he was actually quite a snide critter - especially when he had the gall to criticise my shoes while sporting scratched patent leather). However, his benefactor made a comment later in the voyage that he shouldn't have to pay for everything (he footed the airfares and their Grills accommodation). I'm inclined to believe the latter (I wouldn't be so cruel as to take pleasure at someone wearing a keepsake suit). That said, their whole arrangement was weird.

I got the distinct impression that it wasn't the happiest of relationships. I did wonder at first whether there was a little bit of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman going on. But it's not really my business.

Nothing against their special relationship. Each to their own. I simply take offense to unwarranted criticism of my elegant footwear
__________________
Upcoming cruises:







...

Past cruises:

Dawn Princess Australian Coastal Oct 14
Queen Elizabeth Venice to Athens Jun to Jul 14
QM2 Hamburg to Southampton Jun 14
Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Dec 13
QM2 Caribbean/Transatlantic Dec 12 to Jan 13
Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Jan 06

Last edited by Austcruiser84; September 25th, 2013 at 03:55 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Louise D Louise D is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austcruiser84 View Post
Gay men tend to be a little more open about their lives I find. Sometimes too open!

The second hand attire matter was interesting. Apparently the dinner suit and shoes were his late father's and had sentimental value. That's what the young one said to me (he was actually quite a snide critter - especially when he had the gall to criticise my shoes while sporting scratched patent leather). However, his benefactor made a comment later in the voyage that he shouldn't have to pay for everything (he footed the airfares and their Grills accommodation).

I got the distinct impression that it wasn't the happiest of relationships. I did wonder at first whether there was a little bit of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman going on. But it's not really my business.

Nothing against their special relationship. I simply take offense to unwarranted criticism of my elegant footwear
I wonder if the playwright David Williamson met up with this pair on the QM2 crossing which inspired his forthcoming play to be produced in Sydney next year (the subject of a previous thread)?

From what you have described, it does not seem to me that either the benefactor or the recipient of the so-called largesse had any class at all.

It is interesting to hear about some of the more unusual characters people meet on board.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:32 AM
maggiemou's Avatar
maggiemou maggiemou is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: cyprus
Posts: 736
Default How about these?

Good for black and white night.
I am into shoes and so in my husband so here are his latest pair.
Other than these he has black patent for formal nights.
__________________
Maggieshoemou, on the Island of Aphrodite,
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Austcruiser84 Austcruiser84 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise D View Post
I wonder if the playwright David Williamson met up with this pair on the QM2 crossing which inspired his forthcoming play to be produced in Sydney next year (the subject of a previous thread)?

From what you have described, it does not seem to me that either the benefactor or the recipient of the so-called largesse had any class at all.

It is interesting to hear about some of the more unusual characters people meet on board.
I heard of a lady wearing fake pearls masquerading as royalty. Not sure what kind of shoes she wore on formal night.
__________________
Upcoming cruises:







...

Past cruises:

Dawn Princess Australian Coastal Oct 14
Queen Elizabeth Venice to Athens Jun to Jul 14
QM2 Hamburg to Southampton Jun 14
Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Dec 13
QM2 Caribbean/Transatlantic Dec 12 to Jan 13
Diamond Princess Australia/New Zealand Jan 06
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Louise D Louise D is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austcruiser84 View Post
I heard of a lady wearing fake pearls masquerading as royalty. Not sure what kind of shoes she wore on formal night.
Perhaps she was royalty fallen on hard times? I notice that a lot of the Italian and German minor royalty have been selling off so-called "noble" jewels through Sothebys in recent times.

It is amazing that the QM2 is full of fake pearl spotters. A lot of people would not be so observant.

I have also been told of the presence of minor royalty on QM2 by a gentleman whose contact with royalty was extensive, and who played polo with the Prince of Wales in his polo team before the Prince of Wales retired from that sport.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM
fantasy51 fantasy51 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: near Oxford
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise D View Post
It is amazing that the QM2 is full of fake pearl spotters. A lot of people would not be so observant.
It sounds rather vampirish to me. I test pearls using the teeth method.

'Excuse me Madam, may I bite your pearls? Yes, those pretty ones around your neck.'
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM
seasidegal's Avatar
seasidegal seasidegal is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: By Water Views
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy51 View Post
It sounds rather vampirish to me. I test pearls using the teeth method.

'Excuse me Madam, may I bite your pearls? Yes, those pretty ones around your neck.'
Fantasy...I was choking I was laughing so hard.

maggiemou: You and your husband sure do enjoy the finer aspects of Cunard re: fashion. So nice to see people take such pleasure in dressing up.



best regards to all,
seasidegal
__________________
"The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
- J. Cousteau


Provider of the best seats to behold the wonder of the Sea....


Cunard Liner R.M.S. Queen Mary 2
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:07 AM
cunardaddict cunardaddict is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise D View Post
Perhaps she was royalty fallen on hard times? I notice that a lot of the Italian and German minor royalty have been selling off so-called "noble" jewels through Sothebys in recent times.
There isn't such as a "German royalty". We are a federal republic. Our royal familiy left the country by 1918 for good (and _how_good_ thas was...). You are refferring to families with a long history of major land lease or land ownership. A lot of them don't really own anything anymore but their heired art and jewel collections. Some of these have no idea of how to survive without selling their goods (or using the men's room when under pressure...).

BTW. This guy with the men's room problem is part of the English Royals, isn't he?

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 4
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Louise D Louise D is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunardaddict View Post
There isn't such as a "German royalty". We are a federal republic. Our royal familiy left the country by 1918 for good (and _how_good_ thas was...). You are refferring to families with a long history of major land lease or land ownership. A lot of them don't really own anything anymore but their heired art and jewel collections. Some of these have no idea of how to survive without selling their goods (or using the men's room when under pressure...).

BTW. This guy with the men's room problem is part of the English Royals, isn't he?

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 4
It is indeed a strange situation that the Weimar Constitution of 1919 declared all Germans equal before the law, yet the various noble titles continued through incorporation into surnames.

It is a kind of "fake" nobility that still continues today in Germany. Yes, I have noticed how many families seem to fund their lifestyles by selling off what they have retained from their former days of prosperity.

As to the remainder of your post, I am unable to comment.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Louise D Louise D is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy51 View Post
It sounds rather vampirish to me. I test pearls using the teeth method.

'Excuse me Madam, may I bite your pearls? Yes, those pretty ones around your neck.'
Memo to Self

If cruising on the same ship as Fantasy51, employ garlic on a regular basis and remember to leave pearls at home.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
cunardaddict cunardaddict is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise D View Post

As to the remainder of your post, I am unable to comment.
Some possible future King of England, probably Scotland and all the other slaves decided to relief himself in open public during the EXPO2000 in his residential town...

Fortunately he would never ever use a common liner for travelling.

It's nice living in a republic
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:55 AM
brigittetom's Avatar
brigittetom brigittetom is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,393
Default

Good heavens.......sometimes it's good to get clarification. I thought you were talking about prostitution in the men's room to earn money. That would indeed have been a long drop from the noble days.
__________________
QM 2 TA - NY - Hamburg Oct 28
QM2 TA - Hamburg - NY Nov 10
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:20 PM
cunardaddict cunardaddict is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigittetom View Post
Good heavens.......sometimes it's good to get clarification. I thought you were talking about prostitution in the men's room to earn money. That would indeed have been a long drop from the noble days.
Sorry, I didn't realize this as I have no experience in other than standard use of such facilities.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Underwatr Underwatr is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunardaddict View Post
There isn't such as a "German royalty". We are a federal republic. Our royal familiy left the country by 1918 for good (and _how_good_ thas was...).
Says here that His Royal Highness the Duke of Bavaria still lives in an apartment in the Nymphenburg Palace in Munich.

It also observes that royal titles have no legal standing in Germany, and that Franz's legal surname is Herzog von Bayern (which translates to 'Duke of Bavaria').
__________________


Past:
Queen Mary 2 (Caribbean Holiday) - December 2013
Carnival Pride (Bahamas) - October 2013
Queen Mary 2 (Caribbean Holiday) - December 2012
Caribbean Princess (Scandinavia) - July 2012
Queen Victoria (Hawaii) - February 2012
Queen Mary 2 (Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing) - October 2011
Queen Victoria (Panama Canal Transit) - March 2011
Queen Mary 2 (New England/Canada) - September 2010
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Keith1010 Keith1010 is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 63,634
Default

I prefer to bring my tuxedo shoes but for someone who doesn't they can wear a shiny black shoe.

Keith
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.