Crown Princess Change of Shampoo/Conditioner Product

MJSailors

My DH and I just returned home from the Dec. 7th cruise on the Crown to the Southern Caribbean.

We enjoyed the cruise and I will be posting a review soon.

I wanted to mention here that the shampoo/conditioner products were changed on this cruise.

For the first two days,we were given the individual bottles of shampoo ,conditioner and lotion.

For the rest of the cruise, a pump bottle container was placed in the shower with a shampoo -conditioner product.

This product did not work for me. After using it, my hair was so tangled that it took a lot of effort to get all the tangles out so I could blow dry my hair.

So, I am giving a head's up -no pun intended- to suggest that passengers should bring their own shampoo and conditioner.

I understand that replacing all the bottles with one large container saves on the amount of trash and is a positive change for the environment ,but the product itself

is not that effective.

My DH and I just returned home from the Dec. 7th cruise on the Crown to the Southern Caribbean.

I wanted to mention here that the shampoo/conditioner products were changed on this cruise.

For the first two days,we were given the individual bottles of shampoo ,conditioner and lotion.

For the rest of the cruise, a pump bottle container was placed in the shower with a shampoo -conditioner product.

This product did not work for me. After using it, my hair was so tangled that it took a lot of effort to get all the tangles out so I could blow dry my hair.

So, I am giving a head's up -no pun intended- to suggest that passengers should bring their own shampoo and conditioner.

I understand that replacing all the bottles with one large container saves on the amount of trash and is a positive change for the environment ,but the product itself

is not that effective.

Just got off the Royal and had the exact same experience. It cleaned my hair fine but there was no conditioning whatsoever. I could hardly get a hair brush through my hair after using the combined shampoo/conditioner. Luckily my husband (who has very short hair so why he needs a conditioner I don't know :D) had a travel size conditioner with him. I used it sparingly and it lasted the rest of the cruise.

This change has been happening on ships since the Royal sailed in June. My wife didn't like the previous eucalyptus version but was okay with the new one. Both were okay with me & like many things it's impossible to have anything that everyone enjoys.

If Elite or in a Suite do you still get the normal extras in the bathroom?

LuLu

~~~~

Not for Elite on the Royal in October but read those in Suites may have received them. Elites got 2 ounce bottles of conditioning shampoo, body wash & lotion but nothing else.

If Elite or in a Suite do you still get the normal extras in the bathroom?

LuLu

~~~~

We were in a suite and got lots of extras - loofa, sunscreen lip balm, eye gel, spray mist, etc. but no q-tips (which would actually have been useful and appreciated). :D

is not that effective.

It's also on the Grand Princess. We were given a small bar of soap, but I am glad we brought our own shampoo and conditioner. They are cheap on giving out the bars of soap which is what we washed with most of the time. The pump soap and shampoo didn't get it for us. Actually ticked us off, Princess is getting lazy.:rolleyes:

Too bad this cost cutting measure on Princess' part doesn't take their passengers needs into consideration.

It's not only Princess...earlier this year on RCI they already had the pump containers of body wash & conditioning shampoo.

All cruise lines are seeking ways to cut costs because many cruise fares don't even cover their costs so it's not a surprise to me. The prices for 3 & 4 day cruises from LA are they same as in 1977...and sometimes even less than in 1977.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We had the combo shampoo/conditioner and the bath gel bottles on the Caribbean Princess last week too. They worked just fine for me. They also had the little bottles of the eucalyptus stuff too (maybe because I'm elite?). I used them all... alternating between 'em.

We were in a suite and got lots of extras - loofa, sunscreen lip balm, eye gel, spray mist, etc. but no q-tips (which would actually have been useful and appreciated). :D

Forgot to add that there are no dispensers in the suite -- the new products (shampoo/conditioner, lotion, body gel) are in taller, thinner containers than before. We also had bar soap, which we much prefer.

We are staying two nights in Ft. Lauderdale prior to our cruise next month, so I'll just bring some from the bathroom in the hotel, (which I have paid dearly for btw) :D.

Forgot to add that there are no dispensers in the suite -- the new products (shampoo/conditioner, lotion, body gel) are in taller, thinner containers than before. We also had bar soap, which we much prefer.

Are these containers refilled by the cabin steward ? Does the same container stay there for the next occupants of the cabin to use ? Seems gross and unsanitary to me if that is the case.

The containers in the suite are not refilled - they are similar to the ones used formerly for the eucalyptus scented toiletries only taller and thinner (giving the impression, at least, that they hold more).

Are these containers refilled by the cabin steward ? Does the same container stay there for the next occupants of the cabin to use ? Seems gross and unsanitary to me if that is the case.

Yes, they are refilled by the cabin steward.

Would this be the same for non suite cabins ?

The non-suite cabins now have the shower mounted containers. The suite containers are little plastic bottles on the counter.

The pump bottles attached to the shower containing conditioning shampoo & body wash are refilled. Our stewardess said the 2 ounce tubes (like toothpaste that stand on the cap) are for Elite & Suites and are replaced when necessary & not refilled. The 3 tubes contain Lotus Spa conditioning shampoo, body wash & lotion.

Guess we will be bringing our own shampoo and conditioner. You just never know what some people (not the cabin steward) will put in a bottle before they leave.

EEEWWW . . . now why did you have to go and put that idea in my head. :eek::eek::D

I know it is gross if you ask me. If enough people complain they might see the error of their way.

Gives new meaning to BYOB. We liked getting the small bottles of stuff and the bar soap. We accumulate it for a couple of years and then donate it to the homeless center. They love seeing us come through their door. Don't have anything for them this trip. We were also disappointed that there was no basket of samples of toothpaste, etc on the bathroom counter. When did they stop giving those out? How much further can they cheapen the experience?:cool:

Gives new meaning to BYOB. We liked getting the small bottles of stuff and the bar soap. We accumulate it for a couple of years and then donate it to the homeless center. They love seeing us come through their door. Don't have anything for them this trip. We were also disappointed that there was no basket of samples of toothpaste, etc on the bathroom counter. When did they stop giving those out? How much further can they cheapen the experience?:cool:

Probably most of us have taken small bottles however I also understand why cruise lines need to cut costs. A couple of bottles per person from tens of thousands of cabins adds up to a substantial cost & is probably why Princess has gone to the refillable pump bottles like other cruise lines.

Cost cuts are being discussed on another CC board & a knowledgeable long time cruise line employee (BruceMuzz) says cruise lines do not make money selling a cruise & even sometimes at a loss. Nothing is truly "free" & where cuts are made will "cheapen" the experience for some but not necessarily for others.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40937219

Edited by Astro Flyer

We were also disappointed that there was no basket of samples of toothpaste, etc on the bathroom counter. When did they stop giving those out? How much further can they cheapen the experience?:cool:

I have never seen this on Princess.

I have seen it on Carnival.