"Live" (its my plan) from Independence of the Seas February 9th 2014

So long Polar Vortex! And hello CC fans!

I have decided to post (hopefully) “Live” from Independence of the Seas this week! (If RCI wi-fi and photobucket cooperate!) We will be on the 6 night Western Caribbean sailing, with stops in Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Labadee .

I have posted a few reviews before—my last on Allure was my first “live” report, and I actually found it more fun to post during the cruise as I was enjoying it, then coming home and doing a recap upon my return. Nothing like returning to sub zero temps, snow, and work and then trying to be jubilant in my reporting effort. Guessing my cruise euphoria will be a distant memory by then….:(

My review will be following on the heels of an awesome photo and trip report by Darth Grady, so I have some big footsteps to fill! Hopefully I will be able to share a thing or two that Grady may not have covered….a disclaimer offered up right now that my photos won’t be near as amazing as the ones I saw on that thread! I enjoy reviews of all kinds (“live”, short, long, photo heavy) and appreciate the effort that goes into them. Nothing like a good review to pass the time until my next cruise! Sailing “virtually” with other cruise critic posters is the next best thing!

To say I was looking forward to this cruise would be an understatement. Our weather here in the Midwest has been, well….horrible. Sub zero temps, followed by snow, and then the cycle repeats. Over, and over, and over….It’s like the movie Ground Hog Day….incidentally, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow—SURPRISE! so 6 more weeks of this upon our return…..joy of joys…..

So, a bit about us….(me) Chris, traveling with DH, and my 2 brother in laws and sister in law on this cruise. We are all in our 50’s. I have 15 cruises on RCI, and following this cruise, I shall be just one measly point away from Diamond Plus. Yep, 174 points….I think I shall note on my comment card a suggestion to allow the process of “gifting” of cruise points. Surely there is a D+ or Pinnacle member out there that would be willing to “spare a square” (you have to be a Seinfeld Fan to understand)

PLEASE? ….just one cruise point to take me over the top? ;)

Weather permitting and fingers crossed, we shall leave tomorrow from Chicago O’Hare airport at the crack of dawn for this cruise. Despite the fact that I have many cruises on RCI, each sailing always brings a new experience. New ports, new ships, new adventures…

So, here is what’s new this time….

• This will be my first time on Independence of the Seas .

• We have reserved an over the water cabana rental on Labadee. I am excited about this—it has been 10 years since my last visit to Labadee. If my memory serves me—there wasn’t much there back then. A few huts serving food and drinks and some picnic tables.

• This will be my first cruise following the new “smoking” policy……mehhhhhh, yes, as a smoker, I am not rejoicing like the rest of the non-smokers out there, but hey—I completely understand the logic behind the policy, so I will comply….I am a rule follower, so I won’t be sneaking any puffs on my balcony, and I shall restrict my smoking to the designated areas. I had planned to quit with the aid of the e-cig prior to this cruise. However, since I shall be banished to the smoking areas with those smoking the “real” thing, I decided to delay my smoking cessation plan until immediately after this cruise.

• And finally, another first…..I am sailing with Elvis……yep, the “King” of rock and roll…..we are on the Elvis Tribute “Love Me Tender” sailing…..so in addition to many photos of the ship, my report may include Elvis sightings….so, until tomorrow folks, when I will be posting live (hopefully) from the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel!

Any questions, fire away. I’ll do my best to accommodate!

So, let's see if photobucket is cooperating....the sunrise I wish to leave behind...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What a gorgeous photo. And please know that even if we don't all chime in, smokers will love your first hand reporting! :D

Only by the grace of God did we finally make it to Fort Lauderdale, it's been quite an adventure so far but more on that later.... Time for a beverage beneath the shade of this lovely palm....

null_zps007f7513.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

have a great time

as sunrises go i think the photo of the one you left behind was more appealing to the eye than the one you are longing for

but that would only be from beside a warm fire :)

Have a great holiday and the more pictures the better if you even manage half as good as Darth's you will be a legend :)

if you better it then as RCI say WOW

all the best

AL

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments and following along! So far I have high marks for the Hilton Fort Lauderdale marina hotel, although we haven't seen our room yet. It's lovely outside, anyway!

Nice bar area and lots of boats. Taking lots of pictures with my real camera, will post more later.

null_zps213d1c0b.jpg

null_zps4f874d95.jpg

null_zpse447149a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments and following along! So far I have high marks for the Hilton Fort Lauderdale marina hotel, although we haven't seen our room yet. It's lovely outside, anyway!

Nice bar area and lots of boats. Taking lots of pictures with my real camera, will post more later.

Great hotel - we stayed there ahead of our last Oasis of the Seas cruise.

Pleased to hear that, I'm booked in there in a few months time before my Independence trip, so glad the hotel is OK, and looking forward to following your trip :)

So long Polar Vortex! And hello CC fans!

I have decided to post (hopefully) “Live” from Independence of the Seas this week! (If RCI wi-fi and photobucket cooperate!) We will be on the 6 night Western Caribbean sailing, with stops in Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Labadee .

I have posted a few reviews before—my last on Allure was my first “live” report, and I actually found it more fun to post during the cruise as I was enjoying it, then coming home and doing a recap upon my return. Nothing like returning to sub zero temps, snow, and work and then trying to be jubilant in my reporting effort. Guessing my cruise euphoria will be a distant memory by then….:(

My review will be following on the heels of an awesome photo and trip report by Darth Grady, so I have some big footsteps to fill! Hopefully I will be able to share a thing or two that Grady may not have covered….a disclaimer offered up right now that my photos won’t be near as amazing as the ones I saw on that thread! I enjoy reviews of all kinds (“live”, short, long, photo heavy) and appreciate the effort that goes into them. Nothing like a good review to pass the time until my next cruise! Sailing “virtually” with other cruise critic posters is the next best thing!

To say I was looking forward to this cruise would be an understatement. Our weather here in the Midwest has been, well….horrible. Sub zero temps, followed by snow, and then the cycle repeats. Over, and over, and over….It’s like the movie Ground Hog Day….incidentally, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow—SURPRISE! so 6 more weeks of this upon our return…..joy of joys…..

So, a bit about us….(me) Chris, traveling with DH, and my 2 brother in laws and sister in law on this cruise. We are all in our 50’s. I have 15 cruises on RCI, and following this cruise, I shall be just one measly point away from Diamond Plus. Yep, 174 points….I think I shall note on my comment card a suggestion to allow the process of “gifting” of cruise points. Surely there is a D+ or Pinnacle member out there that would be willing to “spare a square” (you have to be a Seinfeld Fan to understand)

PLEASE? ….just one cruise point to take me over the top? ;)

Weather permitting and fingers crossed, we shall leave tomorrow from Chicago O’Hare airport at the crack of dawn for this cruise. Despite the fact that I have many cruises on RCI, each sailing always brings a new experience. New ports, new ships, new adventures…

So, here is what’s new this time….

• This will be my first time on Independence of the Seas .

• We have reserved an over the water cabana rental on Labadee. I am excited about this—it has been 10 years since my last visit to Labadee. If my memory serves me—there wasn’t much there back then. A few huts serving food and drinks and some picnic tables.

• This will be my first cruise following the new “smoking” policy……mehhhhhh, yes, as a smoker, I am not rejoicing like the rest of the non-smokers out there, but hey—I completely understand the logic behind the policy, so I will comply….I am a rule follower, so I won’t be sneaking any puffs on my balcony, and I shall restrict my smoking to the designated areas. I had planned to quit with the aid of the e-cig prior to this cruise. However, since I shall be banished to the smoking areas with those smoking the “real” thing, I decided to delay my smoking cessation plan until immediately after this cruise.

• And finally, another first…..I am sailing with Elvis……yep, the “King” of rock and roll…..we are on the Elvis Tribute “Love Me Tender” sailing…..so in addition to many photos of the ship, my report may include Elvis sightings….so, until tomorrow folks, when I will be posting live (hopefully) from the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel!

Any questions, fire away. I’ll do my best to accommodate!

Alright! We are looking forward to your review and will be following it daily. One question: How far out were you when you booked your cabana? We don't sail till next year and want to reserve one but didn't know when was the earliest you could do it.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!

Have a great time! I'll be cruising the same itinerary in April. Please save the compasses and scan them later in your review (or take photos). Also please say which menu is for each day (or take photos) Looking forward to any information you give.

Alright! We are looking forward to your review and will be following it daily. One question: How far out were you when you booked your cabana? We don't sail till next year and want to reserve one but didn't know when was the earliest you could do it.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!

I think we booked it about 5 months ago. As soon as the excursions were available for booking!