Must try foods?

kew852000

Love the French onion soup and any braised beef dish in the MDR. Do not miss the pecorino mac and cheese or goat's cheese salad at Tuscan or the balloon crepes at Murano. All so very good!

I like all the lamb dishes in the MDR. The crepe suzette is our favorite dessert with second place the creme brule.

onion soup, most all lamb dishes, smoked salmon (although someone said they switched vendors, so not sure), eggs benedict (and variations), prime rib (if you get a good piece), creme brule.

How about foods to avoid: the steak on the everyday menu; scrambled eggs in a buffet tray (get the fresh ones made to order). the bagels (which aren't bagels, they are rolls with a hole in them), most desserts in the buffet area (go to the coffee shop on 5 where pastries are better and although it's not obvious, they are free).

Carrot cake and cookies at Cafe Bacio on deck 5. The fat free sugar free sorbets in passionfruit and mango and other tropical flavors. OMG. The everyday chocolate cake in Blu. Panna cotta in Tuscan Grill. The goat cheese tart in Murano. Short ribs in Blu. Anything lamb. The thin breadsticks. The crunchy wasabi peas at different bars and Silk Harvest. Pina colada at pool bar and ironically at Martini Bar (I think they get it at Ensemble Lounge bar).

Grilled salmon at Aqua Spa Cafe - to top a bowl of mixed greens you do-it-yourself at the Oceanview buffet while waiting for them to cook the salmon.

Hamburgers at the Mast Grill. Guacamole Mast Grill. Filet in Tuscan Grill.

Forget the desserts at the buffet. Go to Cafe Bacio or just eat some fruit. There's nothing great at the buffet sweets-wise --- they *look* tasty but they aren't good enough to warrant the calories. I just get an apple from my stateroom or from somewhere.

If you like strawberries and raspberries, be sure to ask your stateroom attendant to bring you some or your waiter. Not the muddled berries - the fresh ones. You'll have a whole bowl of them waiting for you if you want. (be sure to tip for that extra service). Pair that with some vanilla yogurt and some low fat granola (available in the tall glass canisters at the buffet). It's what I eat for breakfast if I'm not having room service delivery.

Remember though, you're in Alaska and it's not about the food. Get out on deck and bring your good binoculars and enjoy every drop of that beautiful space!

As others have mentioned, the lamb dishes are excellent - especially the lamb shanks. Also, their soups, both hot and chilled, are superb - extreme imagination at work.

Finally, for breakfast try the smoked salmon omelettes.

Morning muffins and pastries at Cafe Al Bacio (free).

Soft breadsticks in Aqua Spa Cafe.

Little pieces of choclocate next to the teas in Cafe Al Bacio.

Escargot, onion soup in MDR or BLU.

Made to order anything in Aqua Spa Cafe. You must ask. Sometimes nicely beg and if you succeed, you will have a hot fresh meal.

Steak Diane in Normandie/Murano (must aask ahead)

BUFFET

Made to order hot breakfasts... Mr Sloop likes the Omlettes, and I their assortment of Eggs Benny (we both can have something different every day)

Salads... Again lots of choices be it premade ones, or ingredients to make your own topped with a variety of protein choices (Chicken, Salmon, Shrimp etc)

Ethnic Fare... Foods from around the globe made by Chefs from these countries.

Home Made Ice Cream... Different flavours every day. Yum yum

ROOM SERVICE

Love the convenience, and Breakfast on the balcony. We are especially fans of their varieties of fresh fruits & berries. Something so tropical about eating fresh pineapple while casting one's eyes upon another perfect day in paradise... Blue sky, turquoise sea, and white frothy wake.

CAFE AL BACIO & GELATERIA

Had me at hello... Morning, noon or night... Always something here worthwhile to drink or nibble on (this for me is Calorie central... I must resist ! Lol hard to when they are midship, and you find yourself walking by so many times)

MURANO'S

Another place that gets everything right. Food & Service are spectacular (and we love the table side prep). Lol, you gotta roll us out of this spot at the end of the night

MDR

We've been fortunate I suppose, in that our meals (choices ?) have been consistently good to excellent.

The one exception... The "everyday" steak. The MDR is nt the place in our opinion to order a steak (pan fryed French Style) as we prefer ours to be American Style grilled.

Thinking we'll try Tuscan Grille (Italian Steakhouse) on our next cruise to see the difference.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Escargot in MDR.

At Bistro On Five, the Cowboy Crepe (I think that is the name). Has flank steak and southwestern spices. Yummy!!

Love the donuts at Cafe el Bacio - but get in morning when they are more likely to be fresh. The cookies are very good here also. And I did try the carrot cake last cruise and liked it very much. And all free!!

My favorites are:

Mushroom cappuccino soup MDR or Murano

Pistachio gelato - gelateria

Build your own breakfast crepe in bistro on 5... Then finish meal with a Nutella crepe

Calamari in Tuscan grill..although can be hit or miss

French onion soup

Either a vanilla or chocolate soufflé in murano... To die for when available

Wellington scallops in murano....yum!

Escargot in MDR...dip bread in garlic butter...pure heaven

Edited by H2OH!

Can anyone tell me what types of ice cream they are likely to have?

Gelato in the Gelateria near the Bistro on 5.

Homemade ice cream each afternoon in the buffet... Flavours change every.single.day

Heavenly... There is usually a Vanilla or Chocolate, and then some fabulous exotic(s). I remember a delicious coconut. Mr Sloop he liked the ones with Nuts or Liquor (Rum something or other). You can also get toppings like sprinkles, candies etc at this Ice cream location

Home made ice cream is lso served in the MDR Nightly... Flavours vary, and often depend on if something ran out in the afternoon at the Buffet or not.

I believe there is alo Soft Serve somewhere around the Pool Deck... But we've never had it.

Much prefer the old fashioned feel taste of the other options

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Homemade ice cream each afternoon in the buffet... Flavours change every.single.day

Heavenly... There is usually a Vanilla or Chocolate, and then some fabulous exotic(s). I remember a delicious coconut. Mr Sloop he liked the ones with Nuts or Liquor (Rum something or other)

I believe there is alo Soft Serve somewhere around the Pool Deck... But we've never had it.

Much prefer the old fashioned feel taste of the other options

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Thank you I looooooooooooove ice cream. Not so keen on soft serve, one cruise the bride and I spent most of a day in port trying to find some.

They have lots of wonderful dishes on board and lots of favorites. The two that I've found are better than I've ever had on land have both been mentioned above. One is the rack of lamb or lamb chops and the other is the steak Diane which is sometimes served as a special, or on request, at Muranos.

The rack of lamb, both in the dining room and specialty restaurants, has a seasoning that I love - it's so good it's ruined rack of lamb for me in land based restaurants. The steak Diane is a fantastic classic preparation I'd not had, nor found, in years elsewhere and it was done perfectly

My favorite appetizer is the goat cheese parfait served at Muranos although in recent years the quality has not been as consistently excellent as it was years ago.

The best dessert I've had on board was on our one Silhouette cruise. The apple crostata served at the Lawn Club grill was also served as a choice in the MDR one night.

Can anyone tell me what types of ice cream they are likely to have?

Homemade ice cream each afternoon in the buffet... Flavours change every.single.day...

Actually, they sometimes change throughout the course of the day - so if you see something you like you better get some before they change it out!

If you're looking for a specific flavor ask if they ever have it. You can also ask your waiter about the flavors at dinner. Ask him a few days in a row and you're likely to have plates of it one night regardless of whether it was on the schedule. My favorites are butter pecan, peanut butter (with chocolate syrup) and pistachio.

Dear Mrs. Sloop,

I know the thread's about favourite foods, but I couldn't help be with you when you described "casting one's eyes upon another perfect day in paradise..... blue sky, turquoise sea and white frothy wake".

Food for the soul...

Thank you,

ratacake

Dear Mrs. Sloop,

I know the thread's about favourite foods, but I couldn't help be with you when you described "casting one's eyes upon another perfect day in paradise..... blue sky, turquoise sea and white frothy wake".

Food for the soul...

Thank you,

ratacake

Indeed, food for the soul in a foodie topic...

Although to be sure when it comes to CC I find a lot of topics go this way...

Probably why so many of us return to these boards... They feed our hunger for a simpler more comforting time that can be found on a Cruise Vacation.

Same reason that so many users have tickers.. We are counting down the days til our next great feast for the senses.

Cheers!

The beef cheeks (had it on the Summit and it was the best beef dish I've ever had). I don't order beef much because I do prefer it rare but many of the people at our table were making a big fuss out of "beef cheeks" and who would want to eat that. I remembered an episode of Hell's Kitchen where someone was excited to cook beef cheeks because they are an exceptional cut of meat. I couldn't agree more - they were extremely tender, cut them with a fork and very, very, very little fat.

And if your ship has it - chicken and waffles (on the summit it was served in a little bucket at the Mast grill). The chicken was a little spicy, very crispy and well cooked. The waffles were to die for.