dress code

msweezie

Hello everyone! Computer is acting up, and when I get internet access, it is limited...so excuse me if this is a repetitive question.... Sailing Liberty of the Seas Dec 1st. Been quite a few years since I sailed....what is the dress code for the dining room. Are men welcome with nice dress shorts and a polo shirt? Jeans? I seem to remember it was strict about 10 years ago when I last traveled.... any input? I , myself, will probably be wearing a sundress of some sort. Thanks for your input!

Shorts are a no go per the sign at the door of the dinning room. I did wear jeans every night but I am one that sends my jeans to the cleaners to be cleaned and pressed. Jeans and a nice western button down are about as formal as I get. Hope this helps.

Edited by Cruiser 23218

Hello everyone! Computer is acting up, and when I get internet access, it is limited...so excuse me if this is a repetitive question.... Sailing Liberty of the Seas Dec 1st. Been quite a few years since I sailed....what is the dress code for the dining room. Are men welcome with nice dress shorts and a polo shirt? Jeans? I seem to remember it was strict about 10 years ago when I last traveled.... any input? I , myself, will probably be wearing a sundress of some sort. Thanks for your input!

Wear what you are comfortable in. There are only suggestions. Nothing is enforced.

Wear what you are comfortable in. There are only suggestions. Nothing is enforced.

We found this to be true on the Grandeur a couple weeks ago. We had MTD with standing reservations. One night my husband didn't feel like changing out of shorts, so we ate at the WJ. We let man at the MTD reservation desk know we wouldn't be dining there because we wanted to be casual. He told us to come in shorts, because it was just a suggestion. He tried to talk us into it. We didn't though.

ETA: He specifically told us the dress code was a suggestion.

Edited by kleo30

Shorts are not normal in the MDR despite so many posters stated. You will always have those that do not respect the dress code. The word suggested is a polite way of telling you what you should have already been taught as a kid. Adults should understand this and should have no need to ask to justify being lazy!

Shorts are not normal in the MDR despite so many posters stated. You will always have those that do not respect the dress code. The word suggested is a polite way of telling you what you should have already been taught as a kid. Adults should understand this and should have no need to ask to justify being lazy!

Blah blah blah blah blah. Do whatever you want on vacation. Seriously. Stop being so snide (and wrong).

sug·ges·tion

/sə(ɡ)ˈjesCH(ə)n/

noun

noun: suggestion; plural noun: suggestions

an idea or plan put forward for consideration.

synonyms: proposal, proposition, motion, submission, action point, recommendation; More

advice, counsel, hint, tip, clue, idea, trial balloon

•the action of suggesting something.

Nothing in that definition indicates "these are the rules abide by them". The dress code is just that - suggestion - wear what you want other than shorts, sleeveless shirts and flip flops.

Edited by jtdlmc

This will be our first time on Royal, so we want to make sure...

Is it "acceptable" for men to wear nice shorts and a polo to dinner in the Windjammer?

Do men have to wear a suit or tux on formal nights or is it acceptable to wear slacks, button down and tie? My DH is not going to keep on a suit jacket long anyway, so I'm thinking, why take up space with them in the luggage.

Thanks

Is it "acceptable" for men to wear nice shorts and a polo to dinner in the Windjammer?

Do men have to wear a suit or tux on formal nights or is it acceptable to wear slacks, button down and tie? My DH is not going to keep on a suit jacket long anyway, so I'm thinking, why take up space with them in the luggage.

Thanks

What you described is perfect. :)

Thanks

The attire on formal night varies over a wide range. No dress code is enforced, you can wear whatever you like.

Blah blah blah blah blah. Do whatever you want on vacation. Seriously. Stop being so snide (and wrong).
It doesn't bother me if someone wears shorts in the MDR.

But do you really want to spend your vacation:

waiting an extra 20 minutes in the sun because I didn't show up at muster drill?

Have me cut in front of you in the ice cream line?

Have me claim eight chairs right by the pool?

Have me claim an entire row in the Theater?

After all, it is my vacation and according to you I can do whatever I want.

Seriously?

It doesn't bother me if someone wears shorts in the MDR.

But do you really want to spend your vacation:

waiting an extra 20 minutes in the sun because I didn't show up at muster drill?

Have me cut in front of you in the ice cream line?

Have me claim eight chairs right by the pool?

Have me claim an entire row in the Theater?

After all, it is my vacation and according to you I can do whatever I want.

Seriously?

There is a HUGE difference between what you describe and how someone's attire should make me feel. Come on.

Why does it bother you what someone wears???

There is a HUGE difference between what you describe and how someone's attire should make me feel. Come on.

Did you actually read what was written? Apparently not. You might start with my first sentence (It doesn't bother me if someone wears shorts in the MDR.)

I was directly responding to "Do whatever you want on vacation" with fairly mild examples of what people might want to do on vacation (I've sure seen all these occur many times). I didn't bother listing illegal or violent activities that some do during their vacation time.

You bring up a very good point...why should what I'm wearing bother someone else. But you know.... it actually does. Why is that?

A few weeks ago we took our 8 year old granddaughter to see the Rockettes at the Grand Ole Opry. It was going to be a very nice dress up night for her. Something elegant and special. But.... it was Tennessee. Most of the patronage wore t-shirts and jeans. One kid wore a warm up suit. This was an expensive Christmas show. Come on folks... are we really that low class? Not the "elegant" night we were trying to achieve for our granddaughter.

Same with a cruise. Many of us are looking for a specific experience. Part of that is dressing with a bit of class. So, when others are so self centered that they ignore everyone around them, it bothers us. Should it? Maybe, maybe not. We have become a self absorbed society with the belief that I only need to do what I want and not consider anyone else. So it bothers us. It's human nature. We all have an idea as to what the cruise experience should be. When someone takes part of that away, and yes, everyone in nice clothes is part of the ambiance and experience, then we are disappointed. So it bothers us.

And it bothers you lovestocruise, and LMaxwell. It just takes a different "button" to get you. Do you really believe that nothing someone else wears will bother you? Do you want to sit at a table with a fat, old, hairy guy wearing a wife-beater shirt and soccer shorts? I don't. It's disrespectful. So, where do either of you draw the line? An overweight woman in a bikini? A fat hairy guy in speedos? It's their vacation, should it bother you? Bet it would.

...This was an expensive Christmas show. Come on folks... are we really that low class? ...

If the other patrons can afford these "expensive" tickets, then what "class" should they be in?

What the person next to me wears, has zero impact on my enjoyment of any show. Variety is the spice of life, to each his or her own, who am I to judge?

Sent from my iPad using Forums