What do we do with our big suitcase if we want to travel more, after we disembark?

PunkiC

Now that we are retired and have more time, it is fun to extend our cruise by a week or so in our embarkation and disembarkation ports before and after the cruise. But, what can we do with that big suitcase while we are running around?

We can do nicely with one carry-on each as we wander around after our cruise, but where can we stash, or how do we send our big bag with cruise wear home to lighten our travel load?

What have you done?

Edited by PunkiC

Option 1. Rent a car and stick it in the trunk.

Option 2. Check into a city hotel (e.g., London) for the duration of the vacation extension.

The idea is to be luggage-free (although it would really be luggage-light) so we can easily travel around by train, visiting lots of different places. Having a car in a large city can be an even bigger burden than a large suitcase.

So how does the White Star luggage service work? Do they just store our bag until we get back home?

Just mentioning above what we've done, as the cost of luggage shipment is significant.

White Star Luggage: https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/before-you-sail/white_star

There are alternate services: http://www.luggageforward.com/cruise-luggage-shipping/

As an example, Shipping a 50 lb bag from the UK to the US mainland costs $319 with Luggage Forward, $389 if dropping directly from a cruise in Southampton.

The idea is to be luggage-free (although it would really be luggage-light) so we can easily travel around by train, visiting lots of different places. Having a car in a large city can be an even bigger burden than a large suitcase.

So how does the White Star luggage service work? Do they just store our bag until we get back home?

If you are travelling around you will find a car much easier than trains that are expensive in UK. And you will see far more.

On the other hand if you are confining yourselves to London you can store the case in your hotel room.

David.

I'm not sure this is White Star...

We are taking back-to-back crossings in May and we were told to contact the Purser when we board and make arrangements for our two big bags (with our evening clothes) to be stored while we travel the ten days in the U.K. When we board the QM2 again ten days later our bags should be there in our stateroom waiting for us. God willing and the creek don't rise! If this doesn't work you will recognize us on the May 27th crossing as the couple wearing silly grins and rain barrels for our evening meals.

Edited by DarCrav
I'm a writer and needed to rewrite. It's in my blood.

Was this a question about ending a cruise in Southampton or just a general enquiry ?

We've used White Star Luggage (not very successfully) from home to the ship in New York (or Tortola as it turned out) and Carrymyluggage.com from hotel in Venice to home.

We disembarked in Miami from a T/A and spent a few days before flying home facing the same question. We went to a UPS store and shipped the big suitcases - specifying desired delivery date. Because they were over-weight, they would have cost extra on a plane, so getting rid of the two bags cost us about $50 more than dragging them with us and flying them home.

We disembarked in Miami from a T/A and spent a few days before flying home facing the same question. We went to a UPS store and shipped the big suitcases - specifying desired delivery date. Because they were over-weight, they would have cost extra on a plane, so getting rid of the two bags cost us about $50 more than dragging them with us and flying them home.

We get free baggage on the plane, but this is still a good idea.

I apologize for not having been more complete in my question.

We are actually disembarking in Rome and want to take the train north trough Italy and eventually fly home from Milan because we want to go to the Armani factory and see if we can find DH the perfect new tux. Then we fly from Milam to London, and then back to Seattle.

Shipping the big suitcase UPS or air freight from the airport in Rome both sound like good ideas.

We are actually disembarking in Rome and want to take the train north trough Italy and eventually fly home from Milan because we want to go to the Armani factory and see if we can find DH the perfect new tux. .

Mio Dio not that b..... tux again.

David.

I would give up with Armani, seems to be bad luck for you. :D

What's bad luck?

DH had the most glorious Armani tux ever and truly enjoyed wearing it and all of the compliments he received. Cunard has agreed to reimburse us the cost and of course we want to replace it with a tux he loves just as much as he loved the old one. He also has an Armani suit and a half dozen Armani jackets which he also loves and they all fit him perfectly.

Why would we switch brands?

we want to go to the Armani factory and see if we can find DH the perfect new tux. T.

I think you mean the "outlet" store that I pointed you towards.

There are no factories in Italy producing Armani products any more. Most of the Armani labels are produced in China, (although to European standards) and the "Georgio Armani" label comes from mainly Eastern Europe with a very small amount of gear produced throughout Italy. The main feature of the GA brand is that it is "designed" at the fashion house.

But I knew what you meant.

Have a great trip.

Edited by roscoe39

Thanks Roscoe, yes that is what I meant. A lot of it depends on what award flights show up to get us back home. We are using Alaska miles and they let you cancel up to 60 days out without any penalties, so we may be able to reroute through Dubai on Emirates instead of through London on British. We really appreciate the tip.

:D

PunkiC: You don't have to say "Armani" every time you say "tux." We get it by now. ;)

Actually that is not true. I am certain that I mentioned that he had to wear his alternate, LeBox tux, that he had to wear to the first formal event we attended after we returned home with the damaged tux. :):)

Edited by PunkiC

What's bad luck?

DH had the most glorious Armani tux ever and truly enjoyed wearing it and all of the compliments he received. Cunard has agreed to reimburse us the cost and of course we want to replace it with a tux he loves just as much as he loved the old one. He also has an Armani suit and a half dozen Armani jackets which he also loves and they all fit him perfectly.

Why would we switch brands?

Ok, this whole Arimani thing is getting a little hinky.