What currency in Greece?

bookworm61

It is Euros and I never bring foreign currency. I stop at an ATM at the airport.

Personally I wouldn't carry a ton of cash of me. We just stop at local ATM's in port, as need be. We use plastic for any significant purchases, so we usually only need enough cash for cabs, street vendors, or small snack/beverage purchases.

Waht is subject to change? Are you suggesting that Euros may not be their currency in the Future??

Unlike the others, I always carry about $20 a day foreign currency to use for incidentals. We find it real handy if you need to use a restroom or buy a coke, pay a taxi, grab some chips, etc. We leave the bulk of it in the ship safe and take out what we need each day.

I get it through wells fargo.

Subject to change!

Waht is subject to change? Are you suggesting that Euros may not be their currency in the Future??

That's exactly what could happen if they default, leave the Euro, and go back to the Drachma (or some new currency they will have to create), which could happen as early as the end of this month. They will probably make a deal and this won't happen, but it is possible.

I think I read in the paper yesterday that the end of June is another deadline for them. I think Germany would like them to default again so they leave the Eurozone. Watch this space.

I'm trying to keep up because I'll be there in July. But I'm not obsessing. I'm sure they will figure out a way for tourists to pay up. Also some of the articles stated even if Greeks default they won't necessarily leave Eurozone immediately

Bloomberg radio announced this am if both sides don't reach a compromise it will be a huge mistake for Eurozone So the pressure is on

If things do go wrong, the ATMs will stop working to stop people withdrawing all there money,So Euros in the hand is the best way to go :):)

The chances of things suddenly changing on the one day someone is on a cruise stop in Athens or Mykonos are slim. So there are a couple of possible scenarios:

1. Nothing changes, and Greece's currency continues to be the euro.

2. Things do change, but it happens before your (generic "you") ship arrives in Athens or Mykonos. If far enough in advance, ATMs would reconfigured to give out drachmas or whatever, so no need to worry.

3. If it's very shortly before your cruise stop and things are unstable, it's conceivable that the cruise line would alter the itinerary and skip a Greek port.

Basically, all of this boils down to there being no reason to panic about what might or might not happen. If one's cruise is going to other European ports and you want to get cash ahead of time, go ahead and get euros because you'll need them elsewhere. If it turns out you can't use them in Greece on the day(s) you are there, then get local currency that day from an ATM.

I'm sure they will figure out a way for tourists to pay up.

See above. They will either still take euros and everyone will continue with plan A, or things change and the currency changes and you get drachmas or whatever from an ATM. Even if things change while one is physically actually IN Greece, it's not as though it would just happen suddenly one day with no notice. You'll know ahead of time and plan accordingly. Even if a clueless tourist WAS caught unaware, "paying up" would be pretty simple: Stay on the ship that day, or if you're on a land-based trip, pay your hotel bill with a credit card, which is probably what you were going to do anyway.

Have to agree with Waterbug, whatever they do the changes are not going to happen overnight. When Greece and many of the other EU countries changed to the Euro there was a transition period, which Ithink was 5 years. The currency of the country and the Euro ran side by side.

A couple of days in Greece from a cruise ship is not going to be a big deal.

I'll respectfully disagree with a couple of members.

IF Greece exits the euro it very probably WILL be overnite. To give forewarning is an invitation to a run on banks and turmoil in the markets. Bank accounts etc will be converted from euros to, let's call them drachmas, at a rate of one for one. The drachma will then almost certainly slide quickly because of market forces - within a few hours -and deeply by at least the 20% that sterling slipped when the UK abandoned its exchange- rate mechanism (shadowing the Deutschmark) a couple of decades ago.

That devaluation of sterling was just what the UK needed, instead of trying to keep it at an artificially high value by the govt hiking interest rates, borrowing euros to buy sterling, etc. That devaluation pushed up UK prices of imported goods but persuaded more Brits to buy British. It also made Brit exports much more competetive, made the UK a cheap place for international visitors, made foreign holidays expensive for Brits so Brits stayed in the Uk more for their holidays. It was the beginning of a recovery for the UK.

I firmly believe that Greece exiting the euro would be the best move for both Greece and the rest of the Eurozone. And I believe there's a good chance that it will happen, though the Greeks don't want to lose the stability that the euro gives to their economy and the Eu don't want it because it could set a precedent for other iffy eurozone countries such as Italy and Portugal to leave.

Certainly won 't happen until at least around the end-of-month deadline - and that deadline may be replaced by another.:rolleyes:

If it happens, cash euros already in your pockets will be unaffected elsewhere in euroland and will probably be worth more in Greece. Ditto purchases in plastic.

Can't say the same for any euros you have in Greek banks. ;)

Just my own take on the situation

JB :)

I'll respectfully disagree with a couple of members.

That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but you're missing my point. To read the assorted posts, it sounds like some people are thinking "OMG what will we do if our ship is in Greece and BAM! Just like that Greece goes back to drachmas?!?!?!" :eek:

And it's simple: Even IF it happened that suddenly and even IF it was with no prior announcement and even IF it was the day a cruise ship passenger happened to be there (that's a lot of IF's, LOL) there would be no reason to panic and no one will be "stuck" trying to figure out how to "pay their tab" or whatever it was someone said. You either use euros you already have in your pocket, or IF you are all out of euros and IF the ATM's haven't been reconfigured and IF you are going places that don't take credit cards (again, a whole lot of IF's that all have to occur simultaneously, LOL) you simply stay on the ship that day.

But I do understand that for many people it's simply easier and/or more fun to get riled up in a panic about something that may not even happen. ;)

That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but you're missing my point. To read the assorted posts, it sounds like some people are thinking "OMG what will we do if our ship is in Greece and BAM! Just like that Greece goes back to drachmas?!?!?!" :eek:

And it's simple: Even IF it happened that suddenly and even IF it was with no prior announcement and even IF it was the day a cruise ship passenger happened to be there (that's a lot of IF's, LOL) there would be no reason to panic and no one will be "stuck" trying to figure out how to "pay their tab" or whatever it was someone said. You either use euros you already have in your pocket, or IF you are all out of euros and IF the ATM's haven't been reconfigured and IF you are going places that don't take credit cards (again, a whole lot of IF's that all have to occur simultaneously, LOL) you simply stay on the ship that day.

But I do understand that for many people it's simply easier and/or more fun to get riled up in a panic about something that may not even happen. ;)

Agreed.

The only thing I would suggest is that if folk visit another euro zone country before Greece they get their Greek requirements there. If Greece exited the euro, those euros would still be accepted - in fact, welcomed - in preference to drachmas. But cash from ATMs in Greece would be defaced euros, probably over-printed with a large D, as a temporary measure until official drachmas are printed. The value of those defaced euros will fluctuate, certainly downwards. And would be unwelcome elsewhere in euroland.

Hi JB, Hope you enjoyed your driving trip :). As to Greece, for some strange reason we doubt if this situation will be resolved by the end of June. The EU seems to always find a away to put off the inevitable. Politicians are the same all over the world.

Hank

They have until 30 June to make up their minds.

Yes, but there have been previous deadlines that have been extended and, as Hank says, if both sides want to put it off again (which most probably do) they'll find a way. Seems I'm the only one who reckons a clean break is best for everyone.;)

Hi JB, Hope you enjoyed your driving trip :). As to Greece, for some strange reason we doubt if this situation will be resolved by the end of June. The EU seems to always find a away to put off the inevitable. Politicians are the same all over the world.

Hank

Yep, loved it. Currently going thro' the jetlag zombie stage, next will be the post-vacation blues :D.

Poorer value this time - like all EU currencies, sterling has slipped against the US dollar because of the Greek situation. But it's dragged the euro much lower than sterling, so Euroland is currently good value for us Brits.

If there were a Grexit, Greece would be the best value of the lot. And the extra tourists would be good medicine for the Greek economy. But like you say, the politicians are keen not to take that big step.

Yes, but there have been previous deadlines that have been extended and, as Hank says, if both sides want to put it off again (which most probably do) they'll find a way. Seems I'm the only one who reckons a clean break is best for everyone.

It seems that JB is close to being correct for things happening "overnight". Breaking news within the last hour is about a July 5 special Greek election. From the New York Times this is their headline: "Greek Prime Minister Calls for Referendum on Bailout Terms". Most summaries say that this is just a "PR ploy" for the Greek PM to have a cop out that his voters will not allow a settlement. Germany seems fairly clear and firm that this is the best "offer" they are going to get. Greece being dropped from the Euro, sadly, seems close with a final date in July. Tough challenges if you have a July or August cruise stop scheduled for Athens and/or one of their scenic islands. Good luck to all!!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/business/international/greek-debt-talks-enter-final-stages.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,175 views for this posting.

I found a recent article that reiterates what several here have stated about travel to Greece if there is a Grexit. (My concern is that I dont want to be stranded in Greece because I have family members who depend on me for their care) Anyways, there is nothing that even a crazy lady like myself can dig up that would be cause for concern. Here's the article for my fellow worriers.

http://gantdaily.com/2015/06/23/is-it-time-to-cancel-your-greek-vacation/