Main differences between QM2 and QV

Alibobs

After a break from cruising and taking holidays on land we have just booked a trip on the Queen Victoria. We love Cunard and after having done three QM2 voyages I fancied trying another Queen. My husband is ever so slightly sceptical as he loves the QM2 and her stability in the water

I have done lots of research and obviously found out the basic things such as deck layouts etc but I am interested to know what people have found better/worse on the two ships and which they prefer ........

We are the opposite, we booked the QV when it was new, loved it so much, did a TA, we booked it again 6 months later for an eastern Miditerranean cruise... now we are going on the OM2, the end of this month for the first time, out of New York City to Quebec City and back for 14 days. From what I have read the OM2 is much larger and more stable. When we booked the OV the first time we were on deck 5 balcony forward, we always book forward, on the second cruise we booked deck 7, same area. At night you do feel the rocking of the ship .. does not bother us. So if stability is important to you would guess you want to be mid ship and lower. After we cruise in September/October on QM2 will be able to compare more.

Have you had a look at Peppern's wonderful photos - there is a link in the sticky at the top of the board ?

There are some opinions in this thread from last year - QM v QV

My favourite ship tends to be the one I've been on most recently ! I've not been on QV for a couple of years but we are back on her for New Year so I'm looking forward to catching up with her. A lot of people seem to prefer her to QM2, the layout suits some people better, the Queens Room is easier to get to and the nightclub is in a better position for warm weather cruising.

Have a wonderful time and let us know what you think of her.

Edited by Host Hattie

Thank you Hattie - very interesting reading

I hope she is stable enough for hubby - he swore he would never go on a small ship again after a terrible Bay of Biscay experience ........we will be in calmer waters this time so maybe he won't notice!

I was concerned after a number QM2 voyages that differences would make me less happy on the QE and posted a similar question on cruise critic a number of years ago. Several board posters gave both reassurances and glowing descriptions of the QE.

What I noticed on the QE was just the difference in size. It wasn't long before falling in love with her, too.

There are Cunardnesses common to both queens. You will feel at home and have a lovely time.

Happy Sailing!

Edited by jimmybean

After a break from cruising and taking holidays on land we have just booked a trip on the Queen Victoria. We love Cunard and after having done three QM2 voyages I fancied trying another Queen. My husband is ever so slightly sceptical as he loves the QM2 and her stability in the water

I have done lots of research and obviously found out the basic things such as deck layouts etc but I am interested to know what people have found better/worse on the two ships and which they prefer ........

The main difference between QM2 and QV is the stability, and in this respect QM2 is definitely to be preferred. I have done many transatlantics with her and only one with QV, but would not take her for again for this purpose. Not to be misunderstood: She did it well, but 3 days and 2 nights of stormy weather do not justify taking the (over-) decorated QV for a transatlantic, but it depends on where you want to go ...

The grand expanse of Decks 2 & 3 on QM2 is lacking on QV (the low ceiling heights just off the Grand Lobby on QV feel somewhat claustrophobic compared with QM2). On the other hand, the low ceilings suit the Golden Lion very well. Others have different opinions obviously, but to me QV's felt much more like a proper pub than QM2's, which brings Deck 2's Grand Hotel atmosphere.

As mentioned in the other thread the Commodore Club on QV is vastly more scenic than on QM2 with the full windows.

We were on QV last autumn and it was rough really rough in the Bay of Biscay doing it again on QE in Nov ops forgot how rough it was the decks were closed a lot. Just make sure he has Seasick pills. I get sick in the backseat of the car thats why I like a balcony get a beath of fresh air when ever I need it. Also been on QM2 with the spay up to our 5 th deck cabin so I would say very similar. The captains do try to choose the best route for the weather. I also use those pressure bands. Have fun and dont tell him

Edited by electra2008

Hi,

I have sailed aboard both ships recently: QM2 transatlantic crossing in November 2014 and Queen Victoria transatlantic crossing in late April/early May 2015 (final segment of the world cruise). Of course, the QM2 is much larger and has grander public areas. However, I think the Queen Victoria's public rooms are arranged better (the Queens Room is more centrally located) and I preferred the Lido Restaurant over the Kings Court. The Queens Room on the Queen Victoria is beautiful and offers the same wonderful afternoon tea as the QM2. There were not any stability problems on the Queen Victoria during my crossing and my balcony stateroom was far forward (6008). However, the seas were fairly calm during my crossing. I greatly enjoyed both ships.

Chuck

If one is comparing these two ships, one should also mention the decor. Consistent with its name, QV is decorated in a sort of neo-Titanic Victorian/Edwardian pastiche which I personally find a bit fussy. The Mary is done up in a neo-Art Deco mode which I find more pleasing, although anyone familiar with real Deco will understand that what they see on Mary is also a sort of neo-Normandie pastiche.

Other than that, I agree that the pub is far better on QV; Mary's Golden Lion has an awkward T-shaped layout. I also like QV's Chart Room better, because it is broken up into distinct areas. But QV seems to lack the wonderful oddities and nooks and crannies of the Mary (eg, the hallways flanking the planetarium, the glass elevators midships and forward); the Mary has more personality.

Edited by rsquare

Been on both ships within the last year or so. Found the QM2 looking worn out and shabby (first time on it since 2008). The service mediocre at best, the entertainment staff lazy, the food not so great. The cabins have been re-carpeted in what is perhaps the ugliest carpet I have ever seen. The QV, by contrast, was stellar in all ways -- from cabin décor, to food, to service, to entertainment staff.

Interesting also, the QM2 is the only ship I have ever felt queasy on (in the Caribbean). Was in quite a storm in the Mediterranean on the QV, and though I felt the motion, it didn't make me queasy at all.