Allure of the Seas review

fun_one

I sent my review of our recent sailing on the Allure of the Seas (Nov 8th - 15th) to Cruise Critic but they published is saying the sailing was December 2010 - oh well....thought I would publish it here since I know people read these threads more than the Review section. Feel free to ask questions if there is anything I didn't cover. Have fun!

We are Platinum RCCL customers and this was our first time on an Oasis class ship. We had actually booked the Oasis class twice before but had to cancel for family medical reasons so we were very excited to sail the Allure this time.

We really loved the ship and actually booked (while onboard) on the Harmony for next year!

Embarkation: Very organized – especially since there are twice as many people as there typically are on other cruise ships. We got to the port just before 11:00 am. The line for Platinum members to check in was actually longer than the line for Gold members so we ended up going to one of the people at the Gold end of the desk for check-in but it still didn’t take that long. They absolutely will not let Gold members get on the boat with Platinum members and are very strict about that.

Once on the boat: The boat is huge so there is a lot to see and explore. We had done some homework ahead of time so pretty much knew what was going to be where. We initially went to the Bolero bar and purchased our beverage packages. We had planned to buy the Premium package but as it turns out, the Premium package offers the exact same alcoholic drinks as the Ultimate package (for about $10 less per day) – the only difference is the specialty coffees. That was fine with us – however I do want to mention that our friends pre-paid for their beverage package before they boarded and paid a little less than we did when paying after we boarded. It turns out that they charged us tax to buy the package once we boarded however upon returning from the cruise, I called the “after cruise care” people and they refunded us our money. Be forewarned about this and you don’t have to pay the tax. Once we boarded, our friends had lunch at the Café in Central Park while my husband and I opted for the Windjammer – very crowded on Day 1!

Drink Package: Some of the bars made you sign the tab every time (and we assume they did this so you had the opportunity to leave an extra tip) but some did not. Personally, we like NOT having to sign them and prefer to just leaving some extra cash if we think the server is really good. The servers really appreciate that and do get to know you once you have given them an extra tip. The built-in tips have gone up to 18% for those of you who haven’t cruised in a while. One thing I will mention is that this boat did not have a lot of options for early morning bloody marys or mimosas. The only place we found to get drinks in the morning was the main dining room or the Pool Bar – otherwise you had to wait until 11:00 am (even on sea days). I know most people wouldn’t think that is a problem but we were just surprised since our last cruise with Princess had many options all day long. We felt the drink package was a good deal for us because it was so easy to not have to keep track of anything. Even our friends who don’t think they drink much felt that it was a good deal based on the convenience and the prices of the drinks.

Stateroom: We had a balcony cabin on Deck 12 (port side) near the aft elevators/stairs. We loved this location. We take the stairs when we can and found the location to be perfect. Also, this ship does a great job at giving you directions so you know where you are most of the time. Our cabin steward was fine – we didn’t see him much so that is pretty much what you want. The room was nice – we liked the changes they made to the bathroom as it seemed a little bit roomier. The closet was moved to open next to the bed making it a bit awkward but there was plenty of room for everything we brought. There is also a full size sofa which is very nice if you want to have friends over so they can actually sit in your room and not be on your bed. My only complaint was that the cabin temperature was never cool enough for us. We traveled with a fan and I don’t think we would have been happy without it. We did complain to Maintenance about the room temperature on more than one occasion but they basically said that the room temperature was adequate. I also did not think the common areas were as cool as I recall from previous cruises. I used to think the common areas were freezing but not on this ship.

Dining/Specialty Dining: We traveled with 2 other couples and chose anytime dining. We had made reservations for the shows ahead of time and had also made dining reservations that varied between 6:30 and 7:00 pm ahead of time to go along with the shows. There was a long line for anytime diners that did not have reservations. We usually choose the late seating for traditional dining so this was a new experience for us. I think I prefer traditional dining but this worked out okay for our group.

We felt that the prices for the special restaurants have gone up a bit too much. We used to always go to the Special dining options but on this cruise, we only went to the Mexican Restaurant and really enjoyed it and it was priced very reasonably. The service was also exceptional and the portions were large - we would probably split a meal next time. I think $39 for Chops is a little too much even though I know the quality of the food is superb. I also found the steaks they offered in the main dining room to be just “okay” when they used to be pretty good. I think the overall quality of the food has gone down some as there were not as many options in the main dining room as I recall from previous years. Don't get me wrong - the food was good (and probably better than most people get on a regular basis) but my husband I cook a lot and found some of the options to just be "okay" and not "superb".

Our friends went to Giovanni’s and while they enjoyed it, they thought it was too much food to eat.

Entertainment: The shows were absolutely fantastic. We saw Mamma Mia (which we had seen before in a regular theater) and it was very good. The Royal Caribbean dancers were also very good as were the Aqua theater folks, the jazz bar, the comedians (don’t miss them!), etc. All was very good. We love having so many options on a boat and enjoyed all of it. Do make reservations for the shows – if not you have less choices and have to depend on empty seats when people don’t show up.

Service: It is apparent that many of the crew of the Allure has worked together for many years and they look like they really enjoy their jobs and have fun working together. The crew really looks like they enjoy making customers happy. We did not see anyone that didn’t smile and ask you how you were doing, what they could do for you, etc. and we really appreciate that kind of service. We have heard that many of the Allure staff may be offered options to move to the Harmony when she arrives in November 2016.

Space: Overall, the boat is beautiful – It was very clean and easy to get around. The space is well organized but I did feel like the tables were a little too close in both the Windjammer and the main dining rooms. We realize there are a lot of people to feed but it was very hard to get around the tables and one of the people in our group had a walker making it that much harder.

Debarkation: Very easy – totally recommend the Luggage Valet program for $20 per person if your airline is covered. We flew SWA and had a 3:25 pm (late) flight and found it so great to let the cruise ship take your bags and bring them to the airport, check you in and you don’t see them until you land in your home city – awesome! We just walked off with our carry-on and it was very easy and fast. Because there were no good flights for us to get back to Houston at a reasonable time, we took a cab to the old downtown district and found a great bar/hotel to have a drink and snack before we had to head to the airport. The cab ride was $16 to downtown and another $16 back to the airport so it was very reasonable.

Overall: We very much enjoyed the Allure and the Oasis class in general. We have decided to try a Boardwalk Balcony room on our next sailing as it is a little cheaper and we didn’t find ourselves using the balcony as much as we used to. The boat is large but manageable and we found it fairly easy to get your bearings pretty quickly so you knew where you were and where you were going. They did a very good job at helping you know where you were for those that found difficulty with that.

Nice review! We love the Oasis class, too, having done back to backs on Allure in 2011 and on Oasis in 2012. We sailed on Oasis again just this past August/September. We thought the food quality/choices had gone down since our last cruise on Oasis, too. But it won't stop us from sailing!

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are travelling next week as a family of 6 in 3 cabins, my daughters and I are gold but my parents platinum, will be all be able to use the platinum queue together.

Depends on port personnel. Sometimes they let the party stay together, sometimes not. If not, just stay with the Gold group, it's really not a big deal.

What a nice review! We sail January 17th and this will be our first time on Allure.

Does anyone know if they have an outdoor walking/jogging track? I haven't seen one while browsing the ship via computer. My sister and I love to walk in the mornings while looking out to sea.

What a nice review! We sail January 17th and this will be our first time on Allure.

Does anyone know if they have an outdoor walking/jogging track? I haven't seen one while browsing the ship via computer. My sister and I love to walk in the mornings while looking out to sea.

The walking track is on deck 5--it goes all the way around the ship. It's two+something laps per mile. It's not very scenic, except at the aft. Then it's gorgeous!!

Great review. I have a quick question about the luggage valet program. I have never used it but my parents will be on Allure in February and are planning on using it. You said that they check you in. Does this mean that they provide you with your boarding passes? If so, when did you get them. Thanks.

Great review. I have a quick question about the luggage valet program. I have never used it but my parents will be on Allure in February and are planning on using it. You said that they check you in. Does this mean that they provide you with your boarding passes? If so, when did you get them. Thanks.

Boarding passes are delivered to the stateroom on the last afternoon/evening.

Check your boarding passes to make sure there's one in each traveler's name. One time on a cruise (and one time in Disney World), our two boarding passes were both in my husband's name.

But it's a great program, and we use it whenever we can. If only there were a program that unpacked luggage and did the laundry for us at home!

How was the weather? We leave Dec 27.

Also our cabin is also on Deck 12 toward the aft. Was it very rocky? could you feel the boat any?

I am traveling with two young boys and want to be prepared for giving them medicine.

Great information! Thanks!

We are travelling next week as a family of 6 in 3 cabins, my daughters and I are gold but my parents platinum, will be all be able to use the platinum queue together.

Our experience out of Fort Lauderdale was that they would NOT let the non-platinum people board with the Platinum group but it was very well organized.

Barbara

How was the weather? We leave Dec 27.

Also our cabin is also on Deck 12 toward the aft. Was it very rocky? could you feel the boat any?

I am traveling with two young boys and want to be prepared for giving them medicine.

Great information! Thanks!

We didn't experience any movement during our sailing Nov 8th - 15th but I have read some posts where people say you can feel some although I have never seen anyone describe really rough seas except for the TA cruises.

Have fun.

Barbara

My husband and I are totally HUGE fans of the luggage valet process - we totally think it is worth the $20 per person to do it if you can. We fly SWA so the only issue with that is that if you are not "A List" or pay to get "Early Bird", you are at their mercy as to when they check you in and what boarding pass you will receive. My husband is "A list" but I was not so we actually paid for a quick internet session 24 hours before our flight to ensure that I would get a decent boarding pass. I have no idea what it would have been like if we didn't do that but it all turned out great for us. Just remember to keep a small bag with you for the few things you have in your room the last night to carry your stuff off the boat the last morning.

They left the boarding passes and the luggage tags in our room the night before so we could pack and get our bags out by midnight.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Barbara

Thanks for the review. We're going in April and can't wait.

Interesting about the drink package cost once onboard. That's not the first time I've read that they charged tax when they shouldn't. Maybe it's because you were still in dock? We're thinking of waiting so that we can use our OBC to buy it (and we're Canadian so we can take advantage of the special OBC rate that Royal uses).

I am very interested in the Allure but also the Anthem. Has anyone sailed both, and if so, why pick one over the other (outside of the obvious NJ vs. FL embarkation port)?

I have sailed on Oasis/Allure AND Quantum/Anthem. I loved all 4 ships, but Oasis/Allure remain my absolute favorites and my next 2 cruises are on Oasis, then Allure! For me, when sailing on Oasis/Allure, the ship IS the destination! There is just so much to do and see. Quantum/Anthem were great ships as well and also had a lot to do, but I found myself "missing" Oasis/Allure while I was sailing on Quantum/Anthem! No specific reason though. ;)

Thanks for the review. We were on the sailing last week and concur with everything you said. We were very impressed with the crew and the outstanding service they provided. The Allure is a beautiful ship and Captain Johnny is obviously an excellent captain and leader.