Ultimate Balcony Dining Menus

BTwurddle

Can anyone advise on what menu options are available for the UBD? Fiance has a contact allergy to shellfish and I'm aware shrimp and lobster are often featured in the canapes, appetizers and entrees. I naturally assume princess will make substitutions for guests with allergies, I was just wondering if anyone had recent experience or could remember what menu items were available? We will be on Caribbean Princess and it's not a big deal at the moment, I was just curious as we are excited and looking forward to sailing. Happy cruising everyone!

Yes, Princess will make substitutions.

After you book it, one of the UBD waiters will meet you in your cabin to plan the meal.

Hubby doesn't eat fish, so he had a fillet steak. I had lobster.

We didn't care for a salad, so they made French Onion soup for him, and Cream of Mushroom for me.

Not so crazy about a half bottle of French Champagne, so they substituted a full bottle of Asti.

We ordered our before dinner cocktails.

Dessert, was a chocolate basket with four types of mousses, and a plate of cookies. They were having tiramisu in the MDR that night, so waiter also brought a slice of that (my favorite dessert).

There is a link to pictures in my signature (January 2015 Star sailing).

Two waiters basically discreetly hang around for two hours serving course by course, and ordering from the galley when the course is needed (hot food is hot, cold food is cold).

p.s. waiter even helped me with my tablet when I was having trouble, LOL

Edited by cflutist

Can anyone advise on what menu options are available for the UBD? Fiance has a contact allergy to shellfish and I'm aware shrimp and lobster are often featured in the canapes, appetizers and entrees. I naturally assume princess will make substitutions for guests with allergies, I was just wondering if anyone had recent experience or could remember what menu items were available? We will be on Caribbean Princess and it's not a big deal at the moment, I was just curious as we are excited and looking forward to sailing. Happy cruising everyone!

'cflutist' already posted most of the info about a UBD & I will add only a couple of things.

They are very eager to provide you with a great meal & service and when a room service supervisor meets you to go over the menu you can request changes including if you want something from that evening's MDR menu. We also exchanged the $32 half bottle of champagne for a $32 full bottle of red wine.

We've enjoyed our four UBDs during an evening in port & mostly during sailaway to hopefully have the best weather conditions possible...Buon Appetito! :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thank you both so much you've been very helpful. Cflutist, your pictures are terrific, thank you for sharing the link. You and the DH make a darling couple and he is a very lucky man. Beautiful lady there! Astro, thank you for the recommendation. As it turns out my other half doesn't drink wine but I adore champagne and a half bottle is just right for me! Again, Thank you both so much for replying. Here's wishing you calm seas and smooth sailing!

The only thing we weren't given the option to modify was the dessert, other than to switch to an MDR option. We didn't change much but they were happy to consider within reason (I am not a lobster fan, I went chef's choice and they sent up some gigantic huge prawns that were probably the best thing I ate on the ship)

OP - my DW is also very allergic to shell fish. We've ordered the UBD several times and each time, when we inform the supervisor who came to plan our menu he was extremely helpful in making sure even all the sauces were OK for her. And she has had no problems which might be part of why we both like it so much.

My Friend and his Fiancee did this on our most recent cruise. He is an EXTREMELY picky eater. They modified their usual menu for him, going so far as letting him order some of the items from the children's menu.

The two of them RAVED about this meal and would do it again in an instant.

They booked it ahead of time through Princess (for their first date anniversary date).

Hope this helps!

Deb

• 9 months later...
You can not book online. You can call and pay for it, but you set the date once you are on ship.

That has changed in the past couple of months & through the Cruise Personalizer (Onboard Reservations; Culinary Delights; Ultimate Balcony Dinner or Breakfast) it's now possible to reserve a date by pre-paying for either of them & then selecting the time when boarding the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've had a room service employee come to our cabin to arrange the menu and also did everything by phone on other cruises. I guess it depends on who's in charge. On one ship, there wasn't a problem substituting crème brulee for the chocolate dessert. On another ship, there was. I was able to get broccoli instead of asparagus as the vegetable side dish with our entrees. When we celebrated DH's birthday with an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on one cruise, they added some chocolate covered strawberries in addition to the other desserts. Unfortunately he can't eat them. But the photography staff seemed pleased when I took them the strawberries when picking up our photo.

I was overjoyed to discover you can now prepay AND schedule UBD online. I booked three nights, including embarkation day. I've changed cabins three times and called Princess to make sure the bookings would follow me. Not a problem. The bookings are attached to your account, not the room.

• 9 months later...
Yes, Princess will make substitutions.

After you book it, one of the UBD waiters will meet you in your cabin to plan the meal.

Hubby doesn't eat fish, so he had a fillet steak. I had lobster.

We didn't care for a salad, so they made French Onion soup for him, and Cream of Mushroom for me.

Not so crazy about a half bottle of French Champagne, so they substituted a full bottle of Asti.

We ordered our before dinner cocktails.

Dessert, was a chocolate basket with four types of mousses, and a plate of cookies. They were having tiramisu in the MDR that night, so waiter also brought a slice of that (my favorite dessert).

There is a link to pictures in my signature (January 2015 Star sailing).

Two waiters basically discreetly hang around for two hours serving course by course, and ordering from the galley when the course is needed (hot food is hot, cold food is cold).

p.s. waiter even helped me with my tablet when I was having trouble, LOL

Thank you for this! Not only does it help a lot to get the information, but I looked through all 20+ pages of your pictures from this cruise. I enjoyed the pictures of the colorful fish! But the turtle was my favorite!

Thanks again, for sharing so much.

Thank you for this! Not only does it help a lot to get the information, but I looked through all 20+ pages of your pictures from this cruise. I enjoyed the pictures of the colorful fish! But the turtle was my favorite!

Thanks again, for sharing so much.

Here is an example.

That's nicer than I had imagined. I wonder why there's no information on the website where you can actually order all these things. It feels like ordering blind, which I don't like to do.

I'm not following you. You can order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (or breakfast) via the website, right on your cruise personalizer.

What do you mean?

That's nicer than I had imagined. I wonder why there's no information on the website where you can actually order all these things. It feels like ordering blind, which I don't like to do.

I'm not following you. You can order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (or breakfast) via the website, right on your cruise personalizer.

What do you mean?

It's not listed under Specialty Dining so it's not easy to locate the area of the Cruise Personalizer where it's possible to pre-pay to reserve the UBD.

In the Cruise Personalizer go to the Onboard Reservations tab & then Culinary Delights to chose a date by paying for the UBD or the UBB.

Ultimate Balcony Dinner For Two$100.00

A sumptuous four-course meal, including succulent lobster tail and juicy steak, beverage of choice, hors d'oeuvres, all served right on the balcony by our dedicated waitstaff.