Venice Gondola Rides

Hows the Serenity

Hi All,

We are embarking on a B2B on the Eurodam on May 6 in Venice. We arrive in Venice 2 days prior to our cruise, but with the B2B we also have another one and a half days in Venice mid cruise.

From what I have read, it is pretty easy to get around and see Venice without a guide/tour.....we have read Rick Steve's and will follow some of his advices.

BUT we were thinking of a Gondola ride (weren't initially - but had friends who cruised the Med last year, they didn't and now wish they had).

What are every ones thoughts and if positive, does anyone have a recommendation for a Gondola ride.

Thank you in advance

Chris:)

In terms of getting around Venice it is easy to do and no need for any formal tours.

I do highly recommend a Gondola Ride.

Be sure to negotiate not only the price but the length of the ride and be sure it include the Grand Canal. Very nice to do and I highly recommend it.

Keith

Everyone has a different view on this. We've been to Venice multiple times, never taken a gondola ride, and never regretted it. However, I can see the appeal. Unlike Keith, I'd prefer to stay off the Grand Canal, (sometimes choppy water and always lots of traffic) and stick to the quiet, pretty, less crowded canals. And I'd probably pay extra for a gondolier who didn't sing. :D

Hank has a great suggestion for a gondola ride: buy a bottle of wine (I recommend a good Prosecco) get a couple of plastic glasses, and drink it on your gondola ride. If your not getting Prosecco, the shop will take the cork out for you if you ask.

Edited by lisiamc

Hi All' date='

We are embarking on a B2B on the Eurodam on May 6 in Venice. We arrive in Venice 2 days prior to our cruise, but with the B2B we also have another one and a half days in Venice mid cruise.

From what I have read, it is pretty easy to get around and see Venice without a guide/tour.....we have read Rick Steve's and will follow some of his advices.

BUT we were thinking of a Gondola ride (weren't initially - but had friends who cruised the Med last year, they didn't and now wish they had).

What are every ones thoughts and if positive, does anyone have a recommendation for a Gondola ride.

Thank you in advance

Chris:)[/quote']

Take the ride with a difference. Fist female Glondola driver?

http://www.gondoliera.com

Our thoughts about Gondola rides are that they are expensive, really touristy, and something everyone should do at least once :). If you happen to be in Venice when the weather is really good, the best and most romantic time for a gondola ride is late afternoon when the sun is low in the sky, the day crowds have mostly left Venice, and traffic on the canals has waned. The price is negotiable, but most of the gondoliers will ask for about 100 Euros. And you want to settle on the how long of a ride....which should be at least 40 minutes. And as we have often posted (mentioned above) you might think about stopping at a local store that sells wine, purchase something you like, have the store pull the cork, and ask for a couple of plastic cups (many places have plastic wine glasses). Quietly gliding through the back canals and sipping your vino is one of those great romantic travel moments. Compare this to the cruise ship gondola excursions when they pack 4-6 in a single gondola, usually have several gondolas together in a group (with a singer on one of the boats). That is not our idea of romantic.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

On my first trip to Venice (1988 I think), no way hubby would pay $50 for a gondola ride. We did ride the vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal, and we only spent maybe 3 hours total in Venice. I asked at the visitor center and was told no tours at all in those days unless you pre-booked with a travel agent.

When I took my friend back to Venice (2008) we had 3 days post cruise. Her one request was a gondola ride. I looked on-line and pre-paid for a walking tour that ended with a gondola ride. It was convenient to pay in US $ well before we even left home. We did our own singing as our gondolier wasn't real friendly and spoke little English.

Not really interested in the romantic version, but did want the best bang for my buck. As Hank said, there were 6 of us in the gondola, but we didn't mind that. My friend got her gondola ride!

If it's important to you, then go for it. If (as my hubby thinks) a waste of money, then don't do it. It's all up to you Chris. Have a great trip!

There's no need to decide now; see how you feel when you're there and surrounded by Venice ! Plus once you're actually IN Venice you'll have a better idea of what kind of gondola experience you want ... a quiet side canal in a residential neighborhood? Grand Canal with familiar landmarks?

I fully intended to take a gondola ride on my first visit to Venice but I so enjoyed walking around and riding the vaporeto that I never got around to it. Three more visits and I still haven't. Now it doesn't even interest me.

We did enjoy the poor man's gondola; the traghetto. Standing up in a hollowed out gondola crossing the Grand Canal can be quite an experience.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm

Hi All' date='

Thank you in advance

Chris:)[/quote']

Of course you want a gondola ride! You don't want to share a ride with strangers you want your own gondola. You want to ride in the small canals, not the busy Grand Canals. Jmo. The Gondola rides are actually regulated. ImageUploadedByForums1457280718.213049.jpg.365dafa972894ccfc570b16e65f00b49.jpg

Hi Guys

Many thank to you both for the acknowledgement of my list, and actually

ussing the info.

Please let your frequents and family know about her, because she had prove herself to be four times as good as any Venice man just to gain a licence, and succeed in the macho world of a the Venice gondoliers.

Also she faces implied discrimination from many angles, and has to fight for any business. Yet Alex kicks butt and rises above it all, and with the help of loyal guests, makes a living.

As DH Wife says "Right on Girl"

Soap box ends

Thank you :)

Hi Guys

ussing the info.

Please let your frequents and family know about her, because she had prove herself to be four times as good as any Venice man just to gain a licence, and succeed in the macho world of a the Venice gondoliers.

Also she faces implied discrimination from many angles, and has to fight for any business. Yet Alex kicks butt and rises above it all, and with the help of loyal guests, makes a living.

Soap box ends

Thats great! Alex is traveling at the moment and will get back to us when she is back.

We are looking forward to our tour with her.

Thank you for your help and yes, we will be passing it on.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats great! Alex is traveling at the moment and will get back to us when she is back.

Thank you for your help and yes' date=' we will be passing it on.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

Thank you;)

Before leaving for Venice I booked a surprise for my husband...a 90 minute lesson in the boats used to become Gondoliers, a beautiful batellina. I opted to take photos and just enjoy the ride. Our female instructor told us about the history of the Gondoliers and was very patient and adept with the rowing lesson. We saw several of the back canals that we would have otherwise never seen and as my DH became more confidant we went out into the lagoon. Several options are available including one that stops long the route for food and drinks. Aside from the incredible experience you support this non-profit helping to keep rowing alive in Venice. When my DH talks about this with friends I realize it really was a trip highlight and much more memorable than the touristy Gondola ride. ~~Judy

http://rowvenice.org/

Thank you for your help and yes' date=' we will be passing it on.

Chris

Ditto! I got a sweet response from her that she'll be back in touch with me after the 20th. Fingers crossed that I'm able to book with her!!

beth

Before leaving for Venice I booked a surprise for my husband...a 90 minute lesson in the boats used to become Gondoliers, a beautiful batellina. I opted to take photos and just enjoy the ride. Our female instructor told us about the history of the Gondoliers and was very patient and adept with the rowing lesson. We saw several of the back canals that we would have otherwise never seen and as my DH became more confidant we went out into the lagoon. Several options are available including one that stops long the route for food and drinks. Aside from the incredible experience you support this non-profit helping to keep rowing alive in Venice. When my DH talks about this with friends I realize it really was a trip highlight and much more memorable than the touristy Gondola ride. ~~Judy

http://rowvenice.org/

What a lovely, thoughtful surprise for your husband! I can see why he thought it was a real highlight.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys

ussing the info.

Soap box ends

An update on my earlier thanks!!

I heard back from Alex today and am booked for the individual tour on 7/8!!! So excited!! I'll spend the morning on foot with the ship-based Secret Venice Walking Tour, then wander a bit on my own, and then meet her at 3!!

Very much looking forward to this, and I will DEFINITELY share my experience with her on my blog and elsewhere!!

An update on my earlier thanks!!

I heard back from Alex today and am booked for the individual tour on 7/8!!! So excited!! I'll spend the morning on foot with the ship-based Secret Venice Walking Tour, then wander a bit on my own, and then meet her at 3!!

Very much looking forward to this, and I will DEFINITELY share my experience with her on my blog and elsewhere!!

Here's another insider tip for decerning ladies when in Venice, and who love to partake in retail therapy.

https://it-it.facebook.com/BancoLotto10

One-off quality designer pieces for very little money, all handmade in Venice.

Could fit in nicely with your free time ;)

Enjoy. :)

Thanks Port, Alex has also replied to our request for a tour and we are booked for our mid cruise stop in Venice on May 17 - we are doing this with another couple, and will take the advice on board to buy a bottle of wine and grab some glasses to enjoy as we take our Gondola ride - many thanks for the heads up on Alex

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Port' date=' Alex has also replied to our request for a tour and we are booked for our mid cruise stop in Venice on May 17 - we are doing this with another couple, and will take the advice on board to buy a bottle of wine and grab some glasses to enjoy as we take our Gondola ride - many thanks for the heads up on Alex

Chris

Welcome to the club. :)

With regard to wine and glasses. Alex can supply everything for a nominal charge. Just send Alex an Email, saves carrying everything. :)