paasangers from Conquest robbed

asburyfamily

I knew before I even opened the thread that it was Jamaica...not a fan.

We are planning on Sunset Beach Resort while there otherwise would just stay on the ship. Again, this is MY personal preference and opinion. I've been there several times, first on a land vacation many years ago, and then cruise stops. Once is enough for me.

Marie

I have heard to be carefull in that port and to not go anywhere on your own. Sounds like those people heeded the advise and went as a group and still had trouble. I had contacted someone who will take you around for $15 for a short trip. He was going to take me to the grocery store to buy Blue Mountain coffee and back to the ship. Sounding like its worth it.

It's interesting, while I've heard nothing but bad things about Jamaica on the cruise boards, I have several acquaintances who vacation there several times a year. A couple own homes there, and one family stays at one of the nice resorts every Christmas. They speak of an ENTIRELY different Jamaica. One of the women I asked about this difference in perception said that most of the bad stuff that goes on happens mainly in the areas which cater to the cruise ship passengers. These families all absolutely love Jamaica and have for many years. Personally, I've never been so couldn't speak to the safety factor one way or another.

:eek: :eek: :eek: We we there EXACTLY a week ago.....Jamaica must have elementary laws....people SAY it's so bad well them what in God's name is that country doing about it.

Are all those in power just sitting on all their money basking in the sun.

We went to Sunset Beach which was within looking view of the ship. Everyone told my mom how bad it was and she didn't even want to get off and get in a taxi. But Sunset was great and it was the ONLY thing we did in Jamaica.

No freakin Margaritaville in town, no shops, nada....we went to Sunset and then looked in a shop or two at the cruise terminal building then got back on the ship.

How scary for them all, I'm glad no one was hurt

As a huge fan of the Caribbean ( both by sea and also by at least one island based vacation a year ) I can say that I would not take a trip to Jamaica if it was free...Been there, hated it and don't want another tshirt.

I know this has nothing to do specifically with the Conquest, but I wonder why it and any other ship docks there. I keep reading such horrible things there, the rampant crime and drug offering and theft. While YES i know it happens everywhere, and sections of Mexico have been reputed to be just as bad.. I wonder what makes Carnival continue to use that port. I've never read of another port where so many passengers are so afraid to get off the ships

I know this has nothing to do specifically with the Conquest, but I wonder why it and any other ship docks there. I keep reading such horrible things there, the rampant crime and drug offering and theft. While YES i know it happens everywhere, and sections of Mexico have been reputed to be just as bad.. I wonder what makes Carnival continue to use that port. I've never read of another port where so many passengers are so afraid to get off the ships

I agree...I never hear awful things about Ocho Rios....why doesn't the Conquest go there instead.

What will it take for cruiselines to finally cut ties with that port.....a death or two:mad: :eek:

Sunset Beach was great, I can't wait to go there again!!

Not in direct reply with your post, but crime is everywhere...not just in Jamaica. I am sure people are robbed, assaulted, murdered in every city of the US everyday too. I would still love to visit Jamaica again. Despite some bad folks, there are also some very nice people there just trying to make money and have a life for themselves - the honest way.

I knew before I even opened the thread that it was Jamaica...not a fan.

We are planning on Sunset Beach Resort while there otherwise would just stay on the ship. Again, this is MY personal preference and opinion. I've been there several times, first on a land vacation many years ago, and then cruise stops. Once is enough for me.

Marie

Going there on the Conquest in September and although alittle scary, Im going to try to make the best out of it. As we all know, there are CRAZY and desperate people everywhere. (VA Tech is one example) and many others in our very own country every day. CNN is beaming with news every day. From our own home towns. We just need to be aware of our surroundings and hope that crazy person doesn't pick our day in port to lose his/her mind. Good luck to all who cruise and please be safe. At least no one from Conquest was hurt.:) Someone was looking out for them!!!!:rolleyes:

Happy sailing

Vickie

there are some fantastic people there I agree. however the amazing amount of negative things I"ve heard about this place makes me really wonder why Carnival chooses to take their passengers there. the amount of bad really seems to outweigh the good

I hate to hear this,we have been to Mobay probably 10-12 times and never had a problem. It is actually our favorite port and we have done practically every excursion offered by Carnival. Guess I will think long and hard before doing another one. We will probably just stay on ship,maybe get off long enough to shop at the little center at the pier. Really hate it for the small kids,they will probably never want to cruise again.

...I never hear awful things about Ocho Rios....why doesn't the Conquest go there instead.
Well...... If you look you will find things. It's like not seeing all the Ford Mustangs on the road until you buy one - then they seem to be all over the place. If you're not researching it you're not going to notice it.

That said.... The Conquest, when the initial itinerary came out in 2002, was suppose to do Ochos Rios instead of Montego Bay - which is what the Inspiration was doing at the time (Conquest was replacing in New Orleans). We were real excited about it because we had done the Inspiration twice and were ready for a new port. A few months before the ship started sailing the itinerary was changed to Montego Bay. I was new to CC back then and posted my disappointment. Members came out of the woodwork to tell me it was a good thing - that crime in Ochos Rios was worse. That when you would try to walk back from Dunns River Falls you would be harrassed to buy goods and drugs - MUCH worse then MB. So instead of getting upset about it we just found what we thought were safe alternatives - which at that time included Docs Cove and Margaritaville. Since then we have been back and gone to Sunset Beach Resort and loved it. It is very close to the dock - just a short drive and we never felt like we were in any danger. The resort is very nice and they have staff to keep out the unwanteds. You just have to be careful. And things can happen any place at any time - not just Jamaica.

When a problem occurs at a port, and this port is not changed, I feel that the port charges are probably very low.

That has been an on going problem, its time for port change, they did it with St. John one year when the Glory pulled up anchor and said the hell with you people and came over to Belize.

Fred

Fred,

Not to get off the topic. I just booked the Conquest with cabin 2462 and my friend has 2465. I thought your pictures were great but he wants to move higher up because he is afraid of noise and vibrations. Did you experience that?

Thanks.

Crime DOES happen everywhere. But you don't hear people going "I'm going on vacation later this summer to South Central, Cali because it's so pretty":eek:

Looks are one thing but good night. If it's not crime like this all I hear is...."keep your wrists in your pockets otherwise someone will grab it and put a weed bracelet on it and they expect you to pay them":eek:

It sounds like it's JUST Jamaica. I don't hear the horror stories from Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Rica ( that drugging thing was awful but it's all I've heard), Progresso, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, etc

I'm sure they have have their share but I think Jamaica is the golden winner

Archived