HAL vs. Raddison's Main Dining Room ....

sail7seas

I have cruised on both HAL and Radisson, although it has been several years since I cruised on a HAL ship. Once I moved up to Radisson I found it impossible to go back to Holland America.

I found the difference in the dining room experience quite dramatic. I would suggest that the comparison would be tantamount to comparing Burger King to LeCirque. Both the food and the service offered by Radisson are far superior.

In my opinion a better comparison would be the dining experience on Radisson with the same experience on a Crystal cruise that is a much more difficult choice.

Paul

While I respect the opinion of those folks that claim RSSC has superior food than mass market lines, this simply was not my finding on my last year voyage on the Diamond. Again I am reserving a definitive opinion until I have sailed on more voyages. I have sailed Holland America four times. Food is a very individual thing and what one finds fantastic, another may find average. Keep this in mind.

I will readily admit that the room service menu is far more interesting and superior. Moreover, I adored the cheese and port cart in the dining room--this is something you are just not going to find on Holland America, or any mass market line for that matter. Also, I have noted that the vast menu options that one used to be able to find on Holland America are being phased out. You will probably find that RSSC has more variety.

However, in my humble opinion, both dining rooms had "hits and misses."

I am going to try another RSSC ship this October and perhaps my mind will change and I can declare that RSSC food is superior. However, as of now I am sticking to the "hit and miss" opinion. Again, just my thoughts and hope that it helps.

Sail7seas:

I have enjoyed your posts on the HAL board for months, particularly as they were both balanced and cheerful!

We had gone back and forth between HAL and RSSC for our next cruise (have not done neither previously). I will be happy to post our opinion of this cruise afterwards. It will be comparing it with Princess and Royal Caribbean, though.

I suspect one reason for the popularity is that the price difference is not as much as it appears for 1 obvious reason and 1 not so obvious: obvious there is no tipping and no charge for some of the alcohol and other services. The subtle reason, is that there seem to be more specials available, so you get even better deal sometimes. There is one proviso: this is when you compare to being in a suite on HAL... Probably still big price difference if you book an inside regular room on HAL.

I also enjoy reading your posts on the HAL Boards.

When I sailed with HAL twice in 2000 I found the dinners to be good to excellent. But the quantity of the entree was too much for me, so I only ate half. HAL also had a variety of Asian offerings I remember to this day, RSSC not as many.

We sailed with Radisson the first time because of a scheduling issue only and as mentioned above, got hooked and have only sailed with them since.

The Compass Rose Dining Rooms on RSSC is open seating, it would be very hard to go back to set times. You can eat at a table for two or with how many people you met that day. The entree portions are just right for me (you can always ask for more or even double at the time of ordering). Every fish dish I have had has been excellent. They purchase a lot of the fish fresh in port so you can get a glimpse early of what is on the menu that night. Some of the appetizers are mini portions of the entrees, a nice idea! You can have a seven course meal or just two.

I thought the service excellent on HAL but RSSC was even better. Maybe because once you are at table you can stay as long as you want. The one big difference I enjoyed is that wine is served with dinner. No buying bottles which were brought out for the next two or three nights or trying to agree with your tablemates which wine to purchase and share. But be careful, that one glass of wine can turn into who knows how many if you are not vigilant, they pour so discreetly and often. The Bar Staff must have a horror of 3/4 full glasses.

Also, on RSSC if you consult with the Head Waiter 24 hours in advance you can order items of your choice to be served. I am fond of escargot and order it often, they even did Grand Marnier Souffles for the table once. If they have it, they will prepare it special for you. I don't know if HAL does that for you or not.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Mary Ellen

Ditto Mary Ellen- After many cruises on HAL, we tried RSSC's Navigator in May and it spoiled us for any other cruise line. While we were always satisfied with the food and service on HAL, Radisson raised it to another level. Naturally, the fact that we had less than half the number of passengers than on a HAL ship, open seating for dining and items on the luncheon buffet like roast goose and sauerbraten almost insured a superior dining experience.

Sail7seas,

Welcome to the Radisson board from a fellow HAL poster. I have finally taken the plunge and booked a 26 day cruise to the South Pacific and Hawaii for next year. Thank you for asking the question regarding food and the dining room as compared to HAL. Are you thinking of a Radisson cruise?

I think a comparison could be made between the Odyssey/Pinnacle restaurant on HAL to the main dining room on RSSC. If you go to one of the other restaurants on RSSC, the generally soar above HAL - all dependent on one's tastes, of course.

The other thing I love about RSSC is the open seating, when, where, and with whom you choose.

Knowing you (to a very limited extent), I think you would be very pleased with RSSC in every aspect. Sure, they cost more. But when all is considered, not that much more. And RSSC's Gauguin in Tahiti can't be beat - miles above HAL's Tahitian ship - oh, wait - they don't HAVE a Tahiti ship... :rolleyes: :p (sorry - couldn't resist, since I'll be going back there next week!

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome here, Mary Ellen Haley and sdf89 Thanks for your nice words about my posts on HAL.

Sage and Thulewx.....Nice to see familiar names here.

Of course, I realize how subjective food is but I am appreciative for all the responses. In some ways, we think the food has gotten even better on HAL than some we have been served in the past. On the other hand, it seems the menus are becoming a bit more limited. Fewer choices.

We always sail in an "S" Suite and I have found (from time to time), a cruise on Radisson is comparable in price when all things are factored.

We have not booked a Radisson cruise but it is the only other line that interests me at the moment.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cruised both and like others mentioned, the problem that I would have going back to HAL is the set seating and dinner time. As for the quality of food on HAL, I never had any complaints there.

After cruising with the flexibility, complimentary dinner wine and cocktails and dining venues offered by Radisson, I would probably no longer be satisfied with HAL. Then was then...now is now.

Thanks to all of you for this feedback. We too are looking at a RSSC cruise next year and, like sail7seas, are interested in the differences between the two lines. Please compare suites. Space, beds, closet and drawer space, etc.

Thanks

Gsel,

you didn't mention which of the RSSC ships you're considering so I will give you an example of the Voyager, the one I'm most familiar with and will be spending 3 1/2 months on during the January '05 world cruise. The Voyager is also the newest ship and has the largest passenger capacity, holding 700 people. Even when full, you will never feel crowded.

The Voyager's standard cabins are all suites with balconies (including the least expensive categories). There are NO inside cabins. They are 306 sq. ft. with a 50 sq. ft. balcony (total of both is 356 sq. ft.). There is a spacious walk-in closet with various sized bars to accommodate full length as well as half length garments. There are plenty of wooden hangers and there is never any problem requesting more if necessary. There are also built in shelves and drawers and a combo safe. inside the closet. There is also a complimentary umbrella a shoe horn and a shoe rack.

The bathroom is wonderful! It is marble with a separate shower and a separate tub. There are 3 glass shelves on BOTH sides of the sink for storage. Also additional storage under the sink/vanity. Of course there are the usual soaps, lotions, shampoos, conditioners, shower caps that are replenished daily. There are also 2 thick terry cloth bathrobes. In the cabin itself there is a vanity and stool with electric outlets, mirror, good lighting which is good for putting on make-up or drying your hair. BTW, the hair dryer is a good portable one....not the wimpy kind that are attached to the wall and lack power as in many hotels.

The bed is whatever 2 twin beds pushed together would be (king?) or we've also had one mattress without pushing beds together. We have a queen here at home so I know it was at least that large...it may have been a king? There is a night stand on both sides of the bed and still plenty of room to walk around. I also like the fact that there is a curtain that can be drawn to seperate the bed from the sitting area incase someone stays up late and the other wants to sleep. There are night lights attached to the wall above the pillows if you like to read in bed. The bed is high enough that there is no problem stashing large suitcases under the bed during the duration of your cruise.

There is a built in desk/wall unit with drawers and shelves above for misc., drinking glasses, wine glasses etc. Also built into this wall unit is the swivel TV and DVD player. There is also a mini refrigerator that is fully stocked with sodas, water, beer. There is a couch and a table and chair if you dine in your suite or just for watching TV. We always have our breakfast served via room service on our balcony each morning. (I often go for the eggs benedict which is out of this world!) This has become quite a ritual and one of our favorite times of the day. We also may enjoy a glass of wine and a shrimp cocktail and watch the sunset on our balcony as well.

This is a description of the standard Voyager cabin. We have visited the larger suites but have never felt the need to have anything more than the standard suites. On HAL we've had the Category A or B mini-suite. The standard Voyager cabin is much more spacious than the mini-suites I've stayed on with HAL.

My favorite location for Voyager cabins is on Deck 6, category G. It is a nice central location. There is also a laundry room (complimentary use) on each deck. They have awesome Rowanda irons there which work much better than any iron I've ever owned.

I could go on and on about the wonderful 24 hour coffee/espresso bar, the DVD library, the book library etc. but you'll just need to go and experience this for yourself!

You won't be disappointed. :)

Petlover! Thank you so much! Your info was exactly what we needed. We are looking at the RSSC Navigator, but are sure there can't be much difference. I envy you your next trip, could never talk DH into that one. He can't be away from our dog that long.

Thanks again, appreciate the time you took to answer my question.

We have sailed on HAL twice and RSSC twice. In my opinion RSSC has a definite edge on HAL, although we have thoroughly enjoyed our HAL cruises and are doing a transatlantic on Prinsendam in November.We are English and found the food on the Voyager much more European in its taste, style and presentation. The Signatures restaurant was particularly outstanding. The 2 other great benefits on RSSC for us are that wine is included ( and its good wine too) and the open seating plan. We like a table for two and there was never a question with RSSC. On HAL it is a lottery, you request but they won't guarantee. One benefit to HAL and the fixed seating policy is that you do get to know your waiter and he your personal preferences. I think we had the best dining room service ever on Veendam where our waiter Andre was truly outstanding.

The bottom grade suites on the Voyager are far ahead of anything but the top suites on HAL. Room service breakfast comes and is laid up correctly with linen cloths etc rather than just being left on your cabin table on HAL.

However we found the quality of both lines' room service breakfast was excellent.

In the end, I suppose you pay a little more for RSSC and as in everything, you get what you pay for. Personally I think that they are both outstanding -perhaps RSSC a little more outstanding, but I am happy to sail with either line and hope to do so many more times. Having also tried Cunard and Celebrity, in my opinion both HAL and RSSC are streets ahead !!!!!

I have only cruised twice, once on HAL and once on RSSC. I found the atmosphere and decor in the dining rooms of both ships (Zandam and PG) to be comparable. That would extend to the alternative dining rooms as well. The food is another story. While most of what I had on HAL was very good, some of it was very bad. Of course - this is just one person's opinion. Everything we had on the PG was fabulous!! Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

That said, if you look at the price (we had balcony suites on both cruises) they would be even. HAL was MUCH less expensive and was still a very enjoyable cruising experience with good food and wine in a lovely setting. RSSC was fabulous - but for the price it could have even been better. I have no complaints about the food or service, but as my husband said, there is no need to rave about it, we raved in advance when we agreed to pay that price.

You'll have a great time either way you go! Travel safe.

I was on the Diamond in July, '03, which was the same cruise SANDRAMARTINEZ was on. That cruise was riddled with problems not usually encountered on Radisson (or at least not on the six other Radisson cruises we've been on in the past three years). For that reason, all guests were VOLUNTARILY given a $500 future cruise credit, without even needing to ask.

Had that cruise been the only Radisson cruise I'd been on before or since, I too might be asking myself "What's so special about Radisson?" Because the problem with that cruise was that, in many respects, it was just too much like "mass market." But since that cruise was already heavily discounted, I felt that the $500 credit put it down in price well within mass market territory. In other words, we got what we had paid for --- perhaps a little more.

Needless to say, our other Radisson cruises have been much better than that one.

Thanks,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Sail7seas: I meant to post this earlier... but you can see my review on a different thread on this forum. You would be fascinated that many of the fellow cruisers said that HAL was their 2nd favorite line, and one person on their first RSSC cruise said HAL was their favorite (but I must say this was on the 2nd day, and I got the feeling she had made up her mind before embarking that she would not care much for RSSC...!). For favorite line, most said RSSC, but some would say Crystal or Seabourne (sp?).

I wish I could say we will try HAL soon, but my DW has said no cruise for at least 3-4 yrs. She is prob right, as this was our last chance to have g-parents take care of our 4 y/o; we will now have to wait until she is closer to 8 or 9 and can join us...

I hope you try RSSC sometime. it is very different and special.

Before we say too much about HAL, we need to specify whether we are talking about the "old HAL", or the "new HAL." According to the HAL forums right here on Cruise Critic, HAL has undergone some changes in the past few months, which some regular HAL cruisers don't like at all. I won't attempt to summarize these matters, as we all can read the CC HAL board. Suffice it to say that I think I would have liked the "old HAL" as a lower cost alternative to Radisson, and might have taken it from time to time. The "new HAL", however, isn't for me. There have been no real "changes" at Radisson in the last few years.

Thanks,

Richard:) :) :)

Dolebludger, I agree that the "old" HAL was much better than the "new" HAL which is more like the Carnival Cruises we did years ago. We do not like the 4 dining times or the "nickel and dimeing" of HAL. Exactly why we are considering RSSC! Thanks to all for the answers to our questions.

Gsel:

Here's an added thing to consider. If you consider the size and amenities of the suite accurately described by "Petlover" above on this thread (Radisson's lowest cost accomodations on the Voyager); then look into a HAL cruise in an EQUAL SUITE, you will find that Radisson is not much more expensive. In fact, if you look at some of Radisson's specials, you may find that it is CHEAPER!

Thanks,

Richard:) :) :)

I really liked the "old" Hal. While still mass market, it was a definite move up from the mega-ships. Plus I loved the freshly made ice cream and afternoon cookies. But the "new" Hal is a move to the mass market mentality. Not for me! I did price a Prinsendam transatlantic, and when everything was figured in, RSSC was cheaper. Especially when the single supplement was added in!

With respect to food, I don't get terribly excited about either HAL or RSSC. It's very good, but nothing outstanding. Overall, I thought the Diamond food was better than the Voyager...there was an abundance of huge shrimp and other good fish. When I toured the galley of the Voyager, I was disappointed in the quality of some raw products...which may reflect in the end product.

I doubt that I'll ever sail HAL again. I really love the more more personal service. RSSC is a very different experience and it's really hard to move back. Each ship has its own personality, which may account for divergent perceptions. When I sail as a single I always feel welcome. On the Nov Diamond crossings, my husband is dropping me off at the ship and flying home. RSSC has arranged a boarding pass for him to come aboard for lunch. Try that on the mega-ships.

Archived