Trapped in Bangkok

bvfrenchknitter

I just cruised on the Diamond Princess and after leaving the Diamond, a week ago I extended my stay in Bangkok. BKK airport closed because of protestors occupying it (2 days ago - I think your time) and there are no flight out of BKK. Princess has done almost nothing for us. There are about 200 of us trapped here. The only thing Princess has done is negotiated a slightly lower hotel rate (about $150/day), a free buffet breakfast, a free 5 minute phone call (international) per day and 2 Internet workstations to use.

I am so furious... When asked if Princess could get a ship, or train, or bus to get us out they replied we would be safer at our hotels here. When asked if they could provide any financial help they said no and referred us to our travel insurance even though they would have some idea what Princess insurance would or would not cover. Lawyers among us say that civil unrest is not covered by travel insurance. I don't know.

I don't want to monoplize this workstation but I did want to let everyone know that Princess is being very unresponsive to our needs. I know they cannot force the airports to re-open, but there is a smaller airport where they could send in charters and they most certainly could help out financially.

I'll be back online here again when I can get access.

Good luck getting out, what is the US Government doing for you, never mind Princess. The Australian Govt I believe is moving a couple of thousand Aussies also stranded out to a military airfield near Bangkok for repatriation to Australia. One would think your Government needs to intervene, pronto.

I read in the press that arrivals are still flying into Bangkok but no departures since 26 November, due to blockade, crazy.

I feel sorry for you and others, stay safe. Travel Insurance would surely cover you for hotels/food etc, would it not.?

;)

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Could you clarify whether you booked the post-cruise Princess hotel package (in which case they should be picking up the hotel cost); or, did you book your hotel independently or extended your stay beyond the Princess hotel package voluntarily? I'm not sure what else Princess could do for you. I'd contact the U.S. Embassy and see what they can do for you. Double-check your insurance when you return home to see whether it included just the cruise, cruise air, hotels, etc.

From the news reports here, you are better off staying where you are. It doesn't sound like you should be out in the streets or anywhere near the airport.

EXACTLY Colocruiser, I think Princess's responsibilities are no longer..US Govt's/Thai Govt's responsibility now I reckon. It could turn ugly over there with the Thai Govt soon to send in the troops/police to clear and re open the Airport, been closed 4 days, continued closure will wreck the economy.:confused:

You are finished with your cruise and you think Princess should continue assisiting you???
I'm assuming they booked and paid for a post-cruise stay through Princess, in which case it doesn't make sense that Princess isn't covering their additional hotel charge. If they've booked independently, then I think Princess is already doing a lot for them. Hopefully, they'll repost and let us know whether they booked and paid for everything through Princess or independently. That would make a difference.

Sorry to hear you are trapped, that is not a safe feeling I am sure.

Am I wrong here? But my understanding is that cruise insurance pays after the fact, but you are responsible for costs until submitted to the travel insurance company for approval? One reason we always take extra for the return home, and credit cards that can be used in an emergency should something like this happen.

As in other times, I can't see this being the fault of Princess as it is something they have no control over. Or why they would be responsible for monitary funds supplied to the passengers?

I am also not too sure what Princess itself can do here with the airports closed, it's not like they can put you on a bus or something out of Tailand right now and assure you of the safety of something like that?

Sure hope things improve soon and they can re-open the airports. Stay safe!

The ENTRANCEWAYS to and from the airport are closed off, for those with Princess post cruise operational overnights/ packages, princess is KEEPING those people at the hotels in order that they are not endangered attemting to pass through the protestors going to the airport. EVEN if passenger were able to get to the aiprot itis basically SHUT DWOWN do not attempt to go there. Stay where you are please. Sort it out later.

sorry if my typing is so bad, i am extremely concerned due to the info i am getting guys.

Why would anyone expect or think that Princess should be financially responsible?

I don't understand, it seem Princess did a lot. What did the US embassy do or say?

Expecting Princess to do something would be like saying that all the airlines that that flew people in should be paying for people that cannot get their flight out.

We purchased a post-cruise package from Princess, to stay 4 days afterwards. We paid Princess and they paid for the hotel. The airport was seized befoe we were supposed to leave. We also purchased our airfare from Princess and purchased the highest level of Princess travel insurance. IMHO Princess should be doing something for us. There are about 240 of us here in 2 hotels.

The company that is deaing with the logistics of our stay is working for Princess and communicating with them.

The protestors and the gov't continue at a standoff and a military coup is possible.

We purchased a post-cruise package from Princess, to stay 4 days afterwards. We paid Princess and they paid for the hotel. The airport was seized befoe we were supposed to leave. We also purchased our airfare from Princess and purchased the highest level of Princess travel insurance. IMHO Princess should be doing something for us. There are about 240 of us here in 2 hotels.

The company that is deaing with the logistics of our stay is working for Princess and communicating with them.

The protestors and the gov't continue at a standoff and a military coup is possible.

If the whole package was with Princess then they should not abandon you until you are home safely.

It is the same if you book a good airline. If there are delays they put you in a hotel until you get a flight home.

However, your embassy should be involved.

Stay safe.

I'm sorry, but you're angry because the cruise line is trying to keep you safe by having you stay at your hotel? Your life isn't worth the cost of a hotel room for a few days? I'm with everyone else here, it's the Embassy and the US gov. that you should be venting against, not the cruise line.

Please stay calm. When you are home and safe deal with the insurance and Princess. Leaving your hotel to go out in public could be too big of a risk. Staying in contact with the U.S. embassy is probably the best advice. I see you are from Boston...so am I. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe.

I have a friend who is also stuck over there who is NOT on a Princess cruise and they are in the same situation. Don't know what Princess could do about it really. It is something that should be and I assume is being dealt with by your embassy.

I just cruised on the Diamond Princess and after leaving the Diamond, a week ago I extended my stay in Bangkok. BKK airport closed because of protestors occupying it (2 days ago - I think your time) and there are no flight out of BKK. Princess has done almost nothing for us. There are about 200 of us trapped here. The only thing Princess has done is negotiated a slightly lower hotel rate (about $150/day), a free buffet breakfast, a free 5 minute phone call (international) per day and 2 Internet workstations to use.

I am so furious... When asked if Princess could get a ship, or train, or bus to get us out they replied we would be safer at our hotels here. When asked if they could provide any financial help they said no and referred us to our travel insurance even though they would have some idea what Princess insurance would or would not cover. Lawyers among us say that civil unrest is not covered by travel insurance. I don't know.

I don't want to monoplize this workstation but I did want to let everyone know that Princess is being very unresponsive to our needs. I know they cannot force the airports to re-open, but there is a smaller airport where they could send in charters and they most certainly could help out financially.

I'll be back online here again when I can get access.

Oh, brother. Did you not read the contract before you signed on? Here, just a small part of it:

(b) Acts Beyond Carrier's Control: Carrier is not liable for death, injury, illness, damage, delay or other loss to person or property of any kind caused by an Act of God; war; civil commotions; labor trouble; terrorism, crime or other potential sources of harm; governmental interference; perils of the sea; fire; or any other cause beyond Carrier's reasonable control, or any other act not shown to be caused by Carrier's negligence.

While I understand your distress, there is nothing Princess can do for you. They can't stop the protest, can't make it "all better", can't put a bandaid on your boo-boo. Have you tried contacting the U.S. Embassy? You need to be proactive and stop looking for someone else to bail you out of this dilemma. When you decide to go out into the world, you accept risks that all will not be perfect. Just be thankful you aren't in Mumbai.

I wonder why we haven't seen any of this in the News. Not on TV or newspaper. I don't doubt this is happening and feel sorry for the stranded people.

I would never chance taking a bus somewhere else to leave a city that is not safe. Who will keep you safe on a bus.

Have to wonder what kind of newspaper's you have in San Diego, it's been in the news here in Canada for several days now.

Not sure what paper you read, or if you watch TV news - but the situation at the Bangkok airport certainly has been getting newspaper and TV coverage up in the Sacramento area.

Perhaps not as much coverage as Mumbai, but still . . . .

Guess I am missing something, under the circumstances you describe the last thing I would think of or do is log onto CC.

KEITH: The OP is stuck in his hotel room, bored & worried, with nothing to do. He comes to us CC for solace.

However, I agree that his venom against Princess is misdirected, and he gets no sympathy from the CheerLeaders, even though we are concerned and praying for the best outcome.

bvfrenchknitter: You have never said what the U.S. Embassy is saying or doing on your behalf. Are you a U.S. Citizen? Have you contacted your Embassy?

I, too, am surprised that we have not heard of this on the TV news. Our prayers are with you. But, please, do not go off on Princess because they have done everything in their power for you. You will only pi$$ us all off. ;)

Archived