Noordam - Feb 2 - Feb 22 -- 20 wonderful days

Krazy Kruizers

We just got off the Noordam this morning -- will be flying home tomorrow.

Had a wonderful 20 days on board.

Disembarkation started very late this morning. We were at terminal 25 -- usually the one where RCI docks. There were 8 ships in this morning. Our CD kept making announcements appologizing for the lateness -- the dock hands just didn't have their act together -- self disembarkation was to begin at 7:45 and A, B, C and D groups with early flights were to leave at 8:15.

But because luggage didn't start to be unloaded until nearly 8, disembarkation didn't begin until 9:15.

At that time they let the self disembarkation people leave and reverted back to the old system of calling by colors and numbers. We were Pink 1 and were also called at 9:15. We were out of the terminal and into a cab by 9:35.

After that it was a quick ride to the Embassy Suites -- and within a few minutes our room was ready for us -- the staff here have always been wonderful and always take care of us.

Many of you probably already know that due to high winds we missed HMC on the first cruise.

And because of the strikes in Martinique, we were diverted to Dominica on our second cruise.

Just to let you know -- this came up in our Q & A session by another person in attendance -- if you wish to order the BIG shrimp cocktails on a night when it is not regularly scheduled, it now costs $17.

Welcome Home KK, or at least off the ship I am sure you are flying back tomorrow. We too just got home yesterday from the Oosterdam.

Oh My I am shocked at the $17 cost for Shrimp cocktails.

We also did not have the silent debarkation when we got off yesterday. Not really sure why since debarking started early with no problems.

I am in favor of the opportunity to order a higher quality product at a surcharge.

$20 pp for the Pinnacle... $17 pp for a premium quality shrimp cocktail?

I know what I would choose...and it wouldn't be shrimp, except for the Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail in the Pinnacle.

B

BTW... Welcome back KK....

Actually, I tried the jumbo shrimp in both the Pinnacle and the Main dining room and didn't notice any difference. It was very nice, but not $17 dollars worth. I guess I'll appreciate it more now on days it is offered.

Welcome home, Yonnie.

Sherry and I are glad to have met you and Joe on the February 2nd sailing. I especially enjoyed our lengthy talk up by the Lido pool on the day that there was a man in our bathtub. (He was the plumber.)

:p:D

What lively stories of work, travel, and wonderful travel adventures over the years you have to tell!

Is your knee feeling any better?

Debby

Yonnie...It was nice to meet you and Joe on the second leg of our cruise/first leg of yours!

Caroline, a woman on our 2/2 Roll call, was at the airport flying out when we were on 2/2. She mentioned there were only two ships in port the day we left but there would be 10 today. 8, 10, whatever, that's a whole lot of bodies flying in and out of FFL! :eek:

Glad you had a good 20 days. What kind of strikes were there in Martinique? We did go there on the Good Nuts cruise...something must have transpired since then. That's a shame...it's an interesting island.

Question for you, Yonnie.....I'm wondering the impact of President's Week school vacation in the Northeast on the Noordam this past week? :confused:

The impact was huge when she sailed from NYC...I suspect it is markedly decreased now that she's in FL and there are other ships for 7 day cruises.

Yonnie, so glad you and Joe had a wonderful cruise. Our plans for '09 cruising are still up in the air while I recover from wreck injuries. I can't seem to convince my doctor to write a prescription for a cruise - sounds like the perfect medicine to me.

Kim

Welcome back KK. We board the Noordam on Mar 4. I really appreciated your posting about Martinique/Dominica as I was wondering what they would do. I was glad to see that they are substituting another port in the event the strike is still on next week. This cruise is starting to look a bit different from the one we booked. First they substituted St Thomas for Tortola. Now we might miss Martinique - and after all the angst I went through selecting a shore excursion there. Oh well, as long as it doesn't snow, I'm sure the cruise will be great.

Question for you, Yonnie.....I'm wondering the impact of President's Week school vacation in the Northeast on the Noordam this past week? :confused:

The impact was huge when she sailed from NYC...I suspect it is markedly decreased now that she's in FL and there are other ships for 7 day cruises.

I am not Yonnie (I think she is in route to her home now), but I really didn't see many children on this sailing. There were some, but not a huge amount. It really didn't impact our cruise at all!

Now we might miss Martinique - and after all the angst I went through selecting a shore excursion there.

Sorry to hear you had issues planning a shorex in Martinique. Consider yourself lucky to miss this port. The place is a hole. If I never go there again I won't be dissapointed.

$20 pp for the Pinnacle... $17 pp for a premium quality shrimp cocktail?

I know what I would choose...and it wouldn't be shrimp, except for the Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail in the Pinnacle.

B

BTW... Welcome back KK....

You are right.

There is absolutely no difference between the Big Shrimp cocktails in the dining room and the Pinnacle -- both have 4 what I call prawn size shrimps.

Archived