Mailed Luggage Tags

dwgreenlee

I do not see how a TA is going to fix document production problems. r/Don

Also, a TA, good bad, or otherwise is not going to be able to fix poor customer service and incorrect information coming from the home office of any company or cruise line.

So much conflicting info. Just talked to an Oceania phone supervisor who said our "cruise planner" (the folder with the printed luggage tags) for a 7/7/15 departure has not yet been sent out and it should be closer to the three weeks cited in the O web FAQs. Sometimes they'll go out sooner. But, right now they're actually running a bit late.

Didn't ask about any priority based on cabin class, which could also account for different arrival times.

Also, to squash another rumor, she said there is no immediate intention to move to "print your own" tags.

Thanks for the data point. Since I am flying to Florida a week early I have one less week for them to arrive. Not good. R/Don

As I mentioned before the porters will have extra tags at the port

just tell them you do not have them when you drop your bags they will give you some

In our experience the Final Docs are emailed as Jan said about 3 wks prior

The Cruise Planner can arrive 4-8 wks prior usually we get it about 6 wks

Two different items

Just take your final invoice to show them at the port ..Miami people are pretty strict about seeing something to show you are on the cruise

Same thing in Montreal a few weeks ago

I do not like getting the tags from porters. Not only does it slow down check-in but the haste of the situation provides Mr. Murphy an opportunity - especially if all the passengers show up w/o tags. Not off to a good start. r/Don

As I mentioned before the porters will have extra tags at the port

just tell them you do not have them when you drop your bags they will give you some

In our experience the Final Docs are emailed as Jan said about 3 wks prior

The Cruise Planner can arrive 4-8 wks prior usually we get it about 6 wks

Two different items

Just take your final invoice to show them at the port ..Miami people are pretty strict about seeing something to show you are on the cruise

Same thing in Montreal a few weeks ago

What is past experience and what is "right now" are vastly different things.

What we appear to know "right now" is that there is a lag in the production and/or mailing of "cruise vacation planners", which are the folders with multicolored printed materials and preprinted luggage tags.

What remains unclear is what are the e-mail "final docs" to which some folks are referring? If it is the "paid in full" invoice, wouldn't that have come as the TA's "paid" statement right after final payment (or directly from O if no TA in the picture)?

I think we've clarified that the Cruise Vacation Planners (with luggage tags) are behind schedule. So, will someone "in the know" clarify the e-mail item.

What we appear to know "right now" is that there is a lag in the production and/or mailing of "cruise vacation planners", which are the folders with multicolored printed materials and preprinted luggage tags.

What remains unclear is what are the e-mail "final docs" to which some folks are referring? If it is the "paid in full" invoice, wouldn't that have come as the TA's "paid" statement right after final payment (or directly from O if no TA in the picture)?

I think we've clarified that the Cruise Vacation Planners (with luggage tags) are behind schedule. So, will someone "in the know" clarify the e-mail item.

You are emailed a "Final Cruise Vacation Summary" about 3 weeks prior to your cruise. Basically it is Page 4 of your Cruise Vacation Planner along with the itinerary and Specialty reservations etc. They also mail you terms and conditions. I rec'd mine a few days ago. This is not anything new.

The emailed final docs are like the personal page in the planner with the hotline number on it

but also include dining reservations (if booked) culinary classes (if booked )

Airflights if using O air

cruise Itinerary

I suspected any excursions (if booked ) I have not booked any so not sure

Any onboard credits you are getting

It is about 3 pages long

Final docs come to you by email , 3 weeks prior to departure, including the following:

We are pleased to present you with our Final Cruise Vacation Summary upcoming voyage with Oceania Cruises. These electronic documents are easy to use and there are no documents to lose. Simply open the attached document and print them.

The attached documents include all applicable information you need for your voyage:

Detailed flight schedule & E-Ticket information

Pre- and Post-Cruise hotel arrangements

Pre-purchased shore excursion information

Emergency contact information

Embarkation port information and local representative contact information

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

You are emailed a "Final Cruise Vacation Summary" about 3 weeks prior to your cruise. Basically it is Page 4 of your Cruise Vacation Planner along with the itinerary and Specialty reservations etc. They also mail you terms and conditions. I rec'd mine a few days ago. This is not anything new.

Thanks for the clarification. And if I remember correctly, it comes direct from O and not your TA?

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

New story. Spoke to Linda who said they were issued yesterday - last week they were in the mail - and I should receive them in 7-10 days. She told me the delay was because I just booked it April, I noted that was April 2014 and April 2015 to June 2015 should be plenty of time anyway, then she said I took a change offer and I noted that there was no change in the booking since April 2014. Anyway, not real sure what is going on but she assured me they were in the mail. I will call again next Wed and see what the story is then. Seems like a lot of trouble for luggage tags.

I do not see how a TA is going to fix document production problems. r/Don

A good TA, familiar with the cruise line, will talk to the proper person and get the straight facts, and not give you 2 or 3 or more guesses like the above representative did. They can't solve the problem if it's outside Oceania, but they can get you the correct answer. Knowing what is happening is half the battle. They can also get you luggage tags, even if they are hand written (I actually had that happen). I've had problems like this; I just call and they take it from there.

They can also get you luggage tags, even if they are hand written (I actually had that happen). I've had problems like this; I just call and they take it from there.

On an Oceania trip out of Miami, we flew in the day ahead but waited to tag our luggage until the time came to drive to the pier. Getting ready to leave the hotel, we discovered the luggage tags had fallen out of the back of the booklet.

When we arrived at the pier, the following happened: The luggage handler who pulled our suitcases from the taxi shouted the name of one particular luggage handler. This fellow has a pocket stuffed with luggage tags. I don't even think that same fellow had a magic marker to write in the stateroom number -- just an ordinary ball point pen -- but the tags worked. Under the circumstance, we were happy Oceania had some back-up system.

Frankly, since you know in advance there is a potential problem, I suggest you take a couple of pieces of white cardboard, cut out tags, use a bold marker and write in the following: name of the ship, embarkation date, stateroom number, and your name. That's what's on the official tags. Then affix string to the cards.

Not quite as pretty as the official Oceania thing, but being prepared may de-stress the situation. AFter all, you've said you've got the important cruise docs. The porters can match your ID to the list of names for that cruise and take your luggage from you without hesitation even if the problem never gets resolved.

I assume Oceania has the same system in place in any port from which they embark.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

A good TA, familiar with the cruise line, will talk to the proper person and get the straight facts, and not give you 2 or 3 or more guesses like the above representative did. They can't solve the problem if it's outside Oceania, but they can get you the correct answer. Knowing what is happening is half the battle. They can also get you luggage tags, even if they are hand written (I actually had that happen). I've had problems like this; I just call and they take it from there.

You are beating a dead horse. I did not use a TA, I am not going to use a TA, and I am glad you are happy with yours. Not to be rude but there is another thread on the merits of TA's - I am trying to sort out luggage tags. r/Don

Edited by dwgreenlee

On an Oceania trip out of Miami, we flew in the day ahead but waited to tag our luggage until the time came to drive to the pier. Getting ready to leave the hotel, we discovered the luggage tags had fallen out of the back of the booklet.

When we arrived at the pier, the following happened: The luggage handler who pulled our suitcases from the taxi shouted the name of one particular luggage handler. This fellow has a pocket stuffed with luggage tags. I don't even think that same fellow had a magic marker to write in the stateroom number -- just an ordinary ball point pen -- but the tags worked. Under the circumstance, we were happy Oceania had some back-up system.

Frankly, since you know in advance there is a potential problem, I suggest you take a couple of pieces of white cardboard, cut out tags, use a bold marker and write in the following: name of the ship, embarkation date, stateroom number, and your name. That's what's on the official tags. Then affix string to the cards.

Not quite as pretty as the official Oceania thing, but being prepared may de-stress the situation. AFter all, you've said you've got the important cruise docs. The porters can match your ID to the list of names for that cruise and take your luggage from you without hesitation even if the problem never gets resolved.

I assume Oceania has the same system in place in any port from which they embark.

Good suggestion. I think I will do a little power point work and make up some tags - like you said they will not be official but they will get the bags to my cabin in the event Mr. Murphy is part of the porter process.

I really expect the booklet and tags will show up - if later than expected. I was just concerned because things were not proceeding as they had in the past. The production problems Oceania is experiencing is unexpected and has confused even their reps - even professionals like things to follow normal processes.

Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestion. r/Don

The O website FAQs say they are sent to your TA or to you direct approx 21 days before embarkation.

We opt for delivery direct rather than to our TA and expect we'll see our docs arrive at some point in mid June for a July 7 departure.

stupid question - how did you opt for delivery direct? I have filled our the registration but don't recall seeing anything there?

thanks.

stupid question - how did you opt for delivery direct? I have filled our the registration but don't recall seeing anything there?

thanks.

How your documents are to be sent out is something that your Travel Agent decides, (it's not a passenger driven thing) so talk to him or her about that.

The theory being that some Agents prefer to screen what their clients' receive for completeness and accuracy, before they get into the passengers' hands.

If you did not use an Agent, then there is nowhere else for the Docs to go, but to you :D

thanks.

My TA just has them sent direct to me

Just ask who you booked with to do the same

Some TA's like to get them first to check them over first

How your documents are to be sent out is something that your Travel Agent decides, (it's not a passenger driven thing) so talk to him or her about that.

The theory being that some Agents prefer to screen what their clients' receive for completeness and accuracy, before they get into the passengers' hands.

If you did not use an Agent, then there is nowhere else for the Docs to go, but to you :D

My TA just has them sent direct to me

Just ask who you booked with to do the same

Some TA's like to get them first to check them over first

thanks both very much. Guess my newness of "O" is showing - LOL.

Makes total sense. I will contact my TA as we are leaving much earlier than the cruise for Spain.

As of yesterdays mail. We are on the same cruise and we have not received any documents and today is four weeks out.

They are really not documents just info in your Cruise Vacation Guide that come in the mail..in case you dont receive them its no big deal as you dont need them to board..you will receive your final docs by email next week..

Jancruz1

They are really not documents just info in your Cruise Vacation Guide that come in the mail..in case you dont receive them its no big deal as you dont need them to board..you will receive your final docs by email next week..

Jancruz1

So, still a bit confusing. Some O cruisers have never seen the "final docs" e-mail. All they've been sent is the "Cruise Vacation Planner" (with the luggage tags). See this post from our current "Riviera Roll Call": http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46786274

As of yesterdays mail. We are on the same cruise and we have not received any documents and today is four weeks out.

Thanks for sharing your status. Attached is my home made luggage tag. If you send me an email - dwgreenlee {at} aol {dot} com - I will forward the Power Point file. r/Don

893339145_InsigniaLuggageTag.jpg.633d3dca776c88ddf293ecfa3f68a957.jpg

So, still a bit confusing. Some O cruisers have never seen the "final docs" e-mail. All they've been sent is the "Cruise Vacation Planner" (with the luggage tags). See this post from our current "Riviera Roll Call": http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46786274

Maybe they did not realize it was the final doc email

If they have never received it is 6 cruises something is wrong there :eek:

They need to talk to who they booked the cruise with

Maybe they did not realize it was the final doc email

If they have never received it is 6 cruises something is wrong there :eek:

They need to talk to who they booked the cruise with

There can be a number of factors at work here, these are the most common:

1) Some Travel Agents uniformly input only the Agency email address.

2) Does the client have a current, working email address on File with O? New Reservations are often made in such a way that information is carried over from prior bookings.

3) Passengers may have settings on their Email Account Spam filters which block bulk Email messages. (bulk email (UBE), is a subset of electronic spam involving nearly identical messages sent to numerous recipients by email).

By definition, the Final Docs email would also involve sending hundreds of nearly identical emails to numerous recipients....you do the math. ;)

4) ) Email Account Spam filters almost always screen for suspected Phishing Links, and the Final Docs email will necessarily include a number of Links back to the O Site.

Check your Spam Folder!

Thanks for sharing your status. Attached is my home made luggage tag. If you send me an email - dwgreenlee {at} aol {dot} com - I will forward the Power Point file. r/Don

That looks nice. I'm sure it'll make it to your stateroom.

I'm not sure on Oceania but many cruise lines use different colors for different sections of the ship to help the crew sort the luggage quicker and get it to your cabin quicker. A homemade tag might slow down delivery a little bit, but so would the generic ones that a porter fills out.

I've never failed to receive my luggage tags from Oceania, but then again I have a good TA that makes sure everything is taken care of;).

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by ORV