No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

We cruise on NCL and Celebrity and both have gone big with the beverage packages. I don't like it. Prices have been inflated in conjunction with these "free" items. Please, go back to a simple pricing strategy.

On Celebrity, the sommeliers can offer wines not on the list. But you have to be nice to them.

Actually, if I had never joined CC, we would have never booked an NCL cruise....:):).

Then maybe it's time to have your own experiences and form your opinions based on that? Great idea!

I just can't imagine ever cancelling a vacation because a stranger didn't like something. That whole concept seems bizarre to me. Sorry.

If you pay attention to the reports people make when returning from their trips, especially the Escape which you have booked, you will see overwhelmingly positive responses. Just look at the front page of this board. Even some who said they went in with negative attitudes have come back after having a blast. Maybe you should focus on some of those, instead of the handful of negatives? Just an idea. Good luck!

Edited by LrgPizza

I just can't imagine ever cancelling a vacation because a stranger didn't like something. That whole concept seems bizarre to me. Sorry.

I don't think that you need to be sorry for thinking that, IMO that is what any reasonable adult would think.

BUT then again, we are not talking about cancelling because a stranger didn't like something, we are talking about cancelling (or making other choices to begin with) because of facts about what is really happening - I can't speak for others, but I'm perfectly capable making my own decisions based on facts discussed here.

Wow, this just keeps getting better and better for us. :mad:

We booked Escape a year ago for this September and we are at the point now to where we are not even excited about our 1st NCL cruise.

As I mentioned earlier, the Escape has a wine bar with a wider selection of wines (including more wines by the glass) than the rest of the fleet. You can find that menu here (maybe someone can confirm if it's still current). And people have already posted the Brewhouse beer selection, which is also better than any other ship in the fleet. Finally, if you drink spirits and cocktails, you can pretty much order whatever you want on NCL (and, again, the Escape has some themed bars that you won't find elsewhere in the fleet).

I don't know what other threads you've been reading, and if you decide ahead of time that your cruise is a terrible mistake, it will be. But it won't be for lack of beverage choices.

I think it's weird that the "fleetwide wine list" on the NCL website still shows the much larger selection of wines by the glass.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_07092015.pdf

I guess they rarely update the menus on the website???

As you can see from the filename, that file was updated before last two drink price raises in October and December. A lot has changed since that list was used, even the price of UBP has been raised since.

Actually I think that that specific menu is still there by accident, they have removed pretty much all menus from their website* so we have to rely mostly on people's photos nowadays.

* For example all speciality restaurant menus were there publicly available for anyone to see, now you can only see them maybe in MyNCL after booking and being close enough to your cruise to book dining (generally that means after final payment).

I guess they rarely update the menus on the website???
Yes, they tend to leave outdated info on the website for much too long. At least in this case the menu has a date on it (June 2015), so that would be a red flag for me. Things currently evolve quickly on NCL and I would not expect anything as detailed as this menu to stay unchanged for that long.

Then maybe it's time to have your own experiences and form your opinions based on that? Great idea!

If you pay attention to the reports people make when returning from their trips, especially the Escape which you have booked, you will see overwhelmingly positive responses. Just look at the front page of this board. Even some who said they went in with negative attitudes have come back after having a blast. Maybe you should focus on some of those, instead of the handful of negatives? Just an idea. Good luck!

LrgPizza--I really like your posts and think you provide some great feedback, but, this post rubbed me the wrong way. I think you didn't understand what I was referring to in my post. Has nothing to do with Escape.

First of all, I never said we would cancel our vacation. I said we would have cancelled our NCL cruise. Believe me, we would still take a vacation, it would just be somewhere else.

Secondly, I don't need anyone telling me what I need to be paying attention to here on CC or any other site. If you knew me, then you would know I have been reading EVERY single thread on Escape I can find. There are many negative things as well as positive. I'm not referring to the ship itself, I'm referring to their overall experience whether it be Escape or NCL in general.

When you have booked a vacation, whether it be a cruise or something else, and you have paid, literally thousands of dollars for it, there's nothing wrong with having certain expectations. Booking a cruise and having certain things included and then turning around and finding out some of these things are now charged, fees increasing numerous times, lots of slow service, etc., that tends to put a damper on things.

So, please don't judge me and accuse me of only focusing on the negative things. :( I realize there are folks out there who absolutely love their cruise line and will sail it no matter what, but not all of us feel that way.

Edited by jennmaybe

When we were on the Epic in January the wine lists did not mean one thing - you could ask for a wine that was listed and be told it was not available. It got to the point where you'd go to the bar and ask for Merlot and be stuck with what they'd give you. We would not take the UBP again, we'd bring on the wine we like and pay the corkage - it would be cheaper for us in the long run.

Instead of the beer-snob troll post from Luddite, how about a real answer.

If you happen to be going on Escape, here is the beer menu from District Brewhouse.

Photos from TheDougOut

e688591eb55f426d10002ce27edbda7a.jpg

53445ded6739b7d0ad2e853ac328a145.jpg

0b1e40a0ed22eef2e10eece033ddb7d8.jpg

Well that looks like progress, at least!

When we were on the Epic in January the wine lists did not mean one thing - you could ask for a wine that was listed and be told it was not available. It got to the point where you'd go to the bar and ask for Merlot and be stuck with what they'd give you.
It is annoying if they have a menu and then most everything is unavailable. The previous menu had about 40 wines by the glass, but I never saw any bar with 40 bottles open all the time, so it was already a problem. But the solution they chose (to completely eliminate more than half the choices from all venues across the ship) is disappointing. They could have chosen to continue offering a wider selection in the dining rooms and restaurants, for example, and maybe one bar designated as more of a "wine bar". The other bars don't necessarily need to have a wine menu at all, if they clearly specialize in other types of drinks.

First, I'd like to thank the OP for this thread. To get the best value for our money in all aspects of life we must be given access to information to be able to make the best choices for ourselves. The OP wanted to let others know of her experience as a wine drinker and due to the limited/restricted choices offered during her cruise, she felt the UBP was not the best value for her. She wanted to pass this information along to allow others access to information to make their own decisions. Why this has turned into a "why didn't she just drink shots, mixed drinks, beer to receive a better value" discussion is beyond me. She is a WINE drinker.

Secondly, I experienced a a huge reduction of wine choices as well on our cruise in March. After reading this thread, I decided to do more digging into the NCL wines included in the UBP. The links are provided below.

As posted by NCL,on their website in 6/15, there were 41 wines by the glass being offered with the UBP. They were categorized as White, Red and Dessert. https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_07092015.pdf

On February 27, 2016 as posted on Cruise Critic, there are photos showing the NCL wine menus. The category types have changed to Whites Sparkling, Sweet Off Dry, Light, Medium and Full. Reds Light, Medium and Full. There are now 7 White Wines to choose from versus 20 in 2015 and 7 Red Wines to choose from vs 20 in 2015. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49227301&postcount=37. The UBP selection has been cut by nearly 2/3rds. There are zero options under the UBP if your preference is a White or a REd Medium or Full Intensity wine. ZERO choices for free under the UBP.

If you are a wine lover and enjoy trying different wines based on the food selection, or your mood or for whatever reason, picking the UBP will greatly reduce the value you will receive from this selection. Yes, there is the options of purchasing a bottle of wine with a percentage discount, but you have already "paid" for "free wine" and purchasing a bottle comes with additional costs to your shipboard account.

Going back to my personal cruise experience in March: We are NCL suite cruisers and although I was offered the "free" wine in the suite dining, I pressed to see the wine list and once presented with it, saw for myself the limited choices. My preference was no longer allowed on the plan but our server sought out different wines that she thought I would enjoy as a replacement. I found one that was fine, but it was not my first choice, as it was for two weeks we spent cruising in December. Again, thank you OP, for allowing us to take your experience and seek out information on our to make our own decisions to receive the best value!

I don't think this is a fair criticism for what it's worth. There are a lot of alcohol choices.

It's funny to me b/c this post is similar to someone complaining there was no Diet Coke or a local microbrew on board. They can't be all things to all people, but they cater to most.

I am not convinced this is a educated opinion. Do you drink wine or even any alcoholic drinks?

IMHO, I agree; the choices by the glass (included in the UBP) are greatly reduced in quality and taste since the perk of the UBP.

I must admit this comment made me laugh, "There are a lot of alcohol choices"; like all alcohol choices are equal or even on some level the same. Not convinced they cater to most, most just make do with a lesser product but not their choice for good quality.

Your comments seem unfair.

Seems to me that wine lovers should choose a different perk and then either do viva vino package or bring your own wine and pay corkage...

You don't even need to be a "wine lover" to suffer from the change. This is pretty much the same if they told people that only available rums were two well brands like Bacardi Superior and Captain Morgan and only vodka available would be Smirnoff – but as already said, they are already testing limited selection across the board on Sky (see here) so it can become reality on other ships too.

You don't even need to be a "wine lover" to suffer from the change. This is pretty much the same if they told people that only available rums were two well brands like Bacardi Superior and Captain Morgan and only vodka available would be Smirnoff – but as already said, they are already testing limited selection across the board on Sky (see here) so it can become reality on other ships too.
I hear what you're saying, and this is one of many reasons I will not sail the Sky, but this kind of pre-emptive complaint is quite unfair to NCL. Nobody can suffer from a change that hasn't actually happened.

Well that looks like progress, at least!

I agree! Although, I'm surprised to see Dogfish Head 90 Minute on tap. You think they'd have 60 Minute IPA instead. DFH 90 is awesome, but I don't know how many I could drink as opposed to DFH 60 minute. Not complaining, just a bit surprised. :D

We'll be on the Jewel in Sept. and I hope to see a few good beers on tap...

Jim

I hear what you're saying, and this is one of many reasons I will not sail the Sky, but this kind of pre-emptive complaint is quite unfair to NCL. Nobody can suffer from a change that hasn't actually happened.

Wine list cuts have already actually happened as many here have confirmed and realcindylouwho even showed with references. I never said that changes on Sky would have happened on other ships, only said that it can become true on other ships too.

Instead of the beer-snob troll post from Luddite, how about a real answer.

If you happen to be going on Escape, here is the beer menu from District Brewhouse.

Photos from TheDougOut

53445ded6739b7d0ad2e853ac328a145.jpg

7 dollars for a bud light........:eek: plus 18 percent gratuity to pop the bottle top.......:eek: :eek:

they can keep the beer, i'll stick to the soda i buy from walmart and bring on board.

Edited by Computer Nerd

seems to me the poster is making a statement based on the facts being presented here......not on someone's opinion. either ncl offers something or they don't offer some....that is black and white. if someone is looking for a specific wine or beer or something else and a cruise line doesn't offer what they want they don't need to cruise with them to find that out. now if someone said they were going to cancel a cruise because they heard xyz cruise line was a party boat then your statement would be true......find out for yourself if it's a party boat or not.

I am confused (sorry if I missed something). So we can no longer order any wine on the list under $ 12 (or pay the difference if over $ 12)? When we cruised last November, we were not limited to specific ones on our UBP. We could select any wine on the list. I am hearing that this is not the case any more?