Blue Hull Color Harmony vs. Ovation

it seems that hull color on Harmony is much lighter like it is on Allure and Oasis compared to Ovation/Anthem/Quantum.

I had read somewhere that on Ovation its much richer the color on purpose because its almost unnoticeable at times on Allure/Oasis.

I had thought Harmony would get the deeper blue.

Personal like, but I prefer all-white hulls, like on Freedom Class. For me, Celebrity has the best livery on its Solstice Class: navy on white, very elegant.

Personal like, but I prefer all-white hulls, like on Freedom Class. For me, Celebrity has the best livery on its Solstice Class: navy on white, very elegant.

Agreed. When I saw the Quantum's hull, I just kept thinking something looked wrong.

The "blue-ish" hull paint on the new ships is a special hydro dynamic paint that helps the ships glide more easily through the water. Or so I remember reading. Maybe they've figured out how to make it lighter in color to be more traditional.

The "blue-ish" hull paint on the new ships is a special hydro dynamic paint that helps the ships glide more easily through the water. Or so I remember reading. Maybe they've figured out how to make it lighter in color to be more traditional.

No, no. I think the paint that you are referring to is the dark blue below the waterline. That doesn't have anything to do with the light blue on the sides above the waterline.

I believe you are thinking of the bright blue bottom paint, that is only below the water. I believe the others are referring to the bluish tint that is sometimes evident on these ship's hulls up to the main deck, which at times looks completely white in certain lighting.

I believe you are thinking of the bright blue bottom paint, that is only below the water. I believe the others are referring to the bluish tint that is sometimes evident on these ship's hulls up to the main deck, which at times looks completely white in certain lighting.

You definitely know way more than I do about it. I just remember reading an article about the blue paint being used on the hulls and it was regarding the hue above the waterline. But I could be wrong.

You definitely know way more than I do about it. I just remember reading an article about the blue paint being used on the hulls and it was regarding the hue above the waterline. But I could be wrong.

I don't think the lighter blue paint above the water line has anything to do with speed/resistance. I think it is solely aesthetic.

Here is an article from the Ask Adam Blog (stating the color is solely for aesthetics): http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/ask-adam-blog-series-may-2011-answers/

Why are the hulls of Allure and Oasis of the Seas light blue instead of white?

The hulls of Oasis and Allure are painted a very light blue. Please note that I am not in favor of gender stereotyping and do not always support blue for boys and pink for girls. On the other hand, I am a traditionalist and the ship will always be a “she.” We think the light blue looks terrific on her.

There was a lot of internal debate about moving away from the traditional white hull. Ultimately we decided that the Oasis-class ships are so unique that we wanted a somewhat different hull color. The difference is most visible when the sun is shining directly on the hull (never a bad thing!). At other times you have to look pretty closely to notice much of a difference from the rest of the fleet.

Yes I've always thought it was SIGNIFICANTLY more noticeable on the Quantum class. But I also think that is because the hull is so significant in size on the quantum. The allure is so wide it swallows up the hull and its hard to see. The Balconies also hang way over the sides whereas the quantum class are recessed.

• 3 months later...

This question has been bothering me for years. When oasis first debuted with the blue hull, I wondered if the rest of the fleet would be repainted. It made sense to give this very large and very special class of ships their own look. But when the quantum class debuted with the blue hull I was confused.

It's no longer a special livery for just one class of ships. I still do not understand why they are not repainting the entire fleet with the same livery. Has anyone created photoshops of what the other classes would look like with the blue hulls?