My View: First Semi-Live From Oasis - The Cruise that almost didn't happen!

No worries at all! DH is so limited on what he can do that I explore the ship a lot :D

I just ask anytime I see someone who could help. I'm sure more people will have that question. I will also look around in the dining room to see how large tables are/how many they can put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. You are very kind. If we ever end up on a cruise I'll owe you a thank you drink. Hope you're having a great time. We did Oasis in Jan. with a group of 12 (all adults and we had Traditional Dining). We had a great time and I actually thought the food had improved as well as the dining staff service. Again, we had traditional dining. Biggest problem, and the reason we are going to do MTD, is that the show schedule is VERY unfriendly to Late Seating, and Early Seating, at 5:00, is WAY too early for cruise dining. They need to adjust their show schedules to accommodate Traditional Dining times.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks. You are very kind. If we ever end up on a cruise I'll owe you a thank you drink. Hope you're having a great time. We did Oasis in Jan. with a group of 12 (all adults and we had Traditional Dining). We had a great time and I actually thought the food had improved as well as the dining staff service. Again, we had traditional dining. Biggest problem, and the reason we are going to do MTD, is that the show schedule is VERY unfriendly to Late Seating, and Early Seating, at 5:00, is WAY too early for cruise dining. They need to adjust their show schedules to accommodate Traditional Dining times.

Have a GREAT cruise!

You are welcome! We are definitely enjoying the cruise. It is nice to have a low key, relaxed schedule. After driving to the hospital three times a day, juggling a work schedule, and balancing time to spend with our 12 year old, this is exactly the kind of vacation I needed! :)

I agree that Royal lacks good planning and coordination of show schedules. That is one of few things I believe Carnival does better.

We are on the way to Jamaica today. We plan to stay on the ship.

I looked into Park Café and Solarium Bistro to see what they offer for breakfast. We decided tomorrow's breakfast will be Park Café, as they offer a unique selection of breakfast panini and burritos.

Solarium is a bit busy and they have similar options as Windjammer.

I am glad to report that my personal favorite breakfast item is available everywhere- Smoked Salmon :)

Ha-ha!!!! Subscribing... You always make me laugh! We also thought about you yesterday, because when we went to look at our boarding pic, DH had one eye looking at the crowd boarding, the other almost straight... what he was doing, I don't know. He was probably worried that we were missing our chance to be first in Park Café :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds like me! I don't know if he has the ability to choose which eye he looks out of, but if he does, I have a trick for making the photos look a little better.

Hi, Bob & Nancy! We arrived at about 10:05. There was no line for drop off. We were through security and completely checked in by about 10:30. Diamond boarded around 11:05. :)

Thanks for the info. Will await your posts.

T Biggest problem, and the reason we are going to do MTD, is that the show schedule is VERY unfriendly to Late Seating, and Early Seating, at 5:00, is WAY too early for cruise dining. They need to adjust their show schedules to accommodate Traditional Dining times.

Have a GREAT cruise!

This maybe the truest statement I have read here in awhile. the conspiracy theorist in me thinks they are trying to kill traditional dining.

Got pictures of some menus. All the daily menus are on display in the diamond lounge, so I did not have to sprint all over the ship to find these for you :D

Solarium Bistro (complimentary):

fa00ade9ab5d1e06ae63d1733ef90f82.jpg

Of course, the drinks are not complimentary:

f152c00f0200d4b73e224cb4b9c9eefd.jpg

Got pictures of some menus. All the daily menus are on display in the diamond lounge, so I did not have to sprint all over the ship to find these for you :D

Solarium Bistro (complimentary)

We thought the Solarium Bistro was fantastic for a free venue a couple of weeks ago. We ate there for dinner 3 times in 7 nights. Much quicker and better view than the dining room on nights that we weren't doing a paid specialty restaurant.

Chops Grille: (Don't know why there were two menus and I am too lazy to read through and see if they are the same... Maybe one is lunch and one is dinner. I am sure someone here will know and enlighten us):

27ef06dc9ed91db0b42debad6946a375.jpg

82a9096e16b122a42575f18122e5e33e.jpg

We thought the Solarium Bistro was fantastic for a free venue a couple of weeks ago. We ate there for dinner 3 times in 7 nights. Much quicker and better view than the dining room on nights that we weren't doing a paid specialty restaurant.

I agree. We have a great table and quick service in Silk, but will eat in the Solarium Bistro at least twice this week. It really is good food and a great atmosphere.

We are off to our pre-dinner drinks. Tomorrow is a sea day. Please feel free to ask questions - I will do my best to get answers tomorrow.

:)

Soooo glad to hear the smoked salmon is readily available! Hope it still will be in September.

We are on the way to Jamaica today. We plan to stay on the ship.

I am glad to report that my personal favorite breakfast item is available everywhere- Smoked Salmon :)

APDMOM, I have 12727 next door, booked for my trip in January. Do you think the view from my balcony will be similar to yours? Thank you.

Definitely. My parents had that room a couple of years ago. It has the bed by the balcony, which seems to be a popular option here on CC. The only thing I like better about 12729 is the overhang that covers better on rainy days. Fortunately, we have had sunny skies to date :)

When I get home, I will see if I can find some of the pictures my dad took from 12727. Enjoy planning!

Interesting development:

Maybe this is old news, since I had limited time on CC during DH's hospital stay... Our waitress informed us tonight that we can order our 3 diamond drinks in the MDR - she said this started about 2 weeks ago.

Also, there are some new items on the MDR menu. The desserts are MUCH improved! :)

Interesting development:

Maybe this is old news, since I had limited time on CC during DH's hospital stay... Our waitress informed us tonight that we can order our 3 diamond drinks in the MDR - she said this started about 2 weeks ago.

Also, there are some new items on the MDR menu. The desserts are MUCH improved! :)

I've been hearing that off and on with different ships.

We sailed on the Oasis back in March. We also drove to the port. I dropped off DH, all our luggage & his mobility scooter. The porters were extremely helpful. They beat me to almost anything I tried to get out by myself. DH stayed while I parked the car & came back. It was so much easier & faster than I could have imagined. When we got back, someone came with a cart to our luggage & loaded it on & followed us directly to the garage & the car. They helped load everything into the trunk & even helped put the scooter in the back seat. Needless to say, I gave these guys a really decent tip. All of their help was extremely appreciated. I can't say enough good things about this port.

Oh, DOUBLE WOW!! This is the best dessert I have ever enjoyed on a cruise! It is a new chocolate cake from the MDR:

879005d101b36d3026026c6b7390b67d.jpg

Has it been on the menu every night or is it unique to a specific night's menu on the Western sailing? It looks delicious.

Awesome Boardwalk room right on the end. I know it's a common question but would love to hear your comments on how you like it and how it is with the noise. We are trying Boardwalk room on Symphony (but picked mid way so more over the carousel). The rooms look like lots of fun watching the action. Enjoying your review.

P.S. - That chocolate cake looks yummy...really moist.

This maybe the truest statement I have read here in awhile. the conspiracy theorist in me thinks they are trying to kill traditional dining.

That thought occurred to me too. Certainly on Oasis it seems so. When we went in Jan. the original schedule showed Late Seating at 8:30. We made all our show reservations, and no real problem. Then they changed it to 8:00 without changing the show schedule. So our 7:30-8:15 Aqua show, for example, was now in conflict. Amazing. Oh well... it's a "first world" problem. 😎