I'm 44, and although I've never cruised so yet (but plan to), I've taken multiple vacations by myself. While traveling with someone else is great when you find someone who travels like you do, there is a lot to be said about being able to do whatever you want without having to consider anyone else. It is very freeing.

IMO, the number one determinant on whether or not you'll have a good time is your own attitude (not you, specifically--the general "you" ). If you go into your vacation with an open mind and a willingness to put yourself out there when meeting others, you can have a ball. On the same note, if you go with the idea that you'll be miserable because you don't have someone to share everything with, you will be miserable.

Probably the only real downside to traveling alone is that, as women, we have to be a little more vigilant and safety conscious. For instance, not putting ourselves in dangerous situations, not drinking ourselves to the point of passing out, etc. This is all basic common sense, though. In all the time I've traveled alone (and it's been a lot), I've never had a problem, but I'm smart about how I travel as well.

Don't give up on solo traveling. If you love to travel and there is no one that can go with you, don't feel like you have to sit at home. The more you do it, the more comfortable and confident you'll become.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature