Sky News No More - Replaced By BBC HD

megacruiser

If true I agree it's disappointing. The only thing I watch on the TV on my cruise is the news when getting ready in the morning.

I caught a bit on my TV at home the other day and the "theme tune" took me right back to my last cruise :)

Hopefully I will hear the theme tune on Azura in July and Aurora in December.:)

So that's two ships with both. Interesting.

Looks like we may have had a lot of hot air from certain people moaning and moaning about something that has not happened.

What a shock??? !!!!!

Not.

BTW the FAQ's on the website says both will be available.

I can only report the facts as exist on Azura right now. Sky News was replaced by BBC HD three days ago. We have been in Madeira all day and still no Sky News.

Representations were made to Reception for an explanation. This was elevated to the Communications Department and an Officer provided an explanation that Sky News would no longer be shown fleetwide on P&O. It had been replaced with BBC HD with immediate effect.

Surely P&O Officers have more integrity than to fob off a passenger enquiry with an intentional lie?

And for the record Dai, are you accusing me of intentionally misleading this forum? Yes or no would be fine, thanks.

Thanks megacruiser, the plot thickens eh!! Lets hope its a misunderstanding of behalf of the Officer from whence the info came...if its not P&O will have a lot of angry passengers coming their way......just when I started to feel a bit little less peeved.:)

I can only report the facts as exist on Azura right now. Sky News was replaced by BBC HD three days ago. We have been in Madeira all day and still no Sky News.

Representations were made to Reception for an explanation. This was elevated to the Communications Department and an Officer provided an explanation that Sky News would no longer be shown fleetwide on P&O. It had been replaced with BBC HD with immediate effect.

Surely P&O Officers have more integrity than to fob off a passenger enquiry with an intentional lie?

And for the record Dai, are you accusing me of intentionally misleading this forum? Yes or no would be fine, thanks.

No not at all but two others have said they have both on board now. The web site says that both will be available.

I was not saying about you being wrong only the others who jumped in with both feet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

Thanks megacruiser, the plot thickens eh!! Lets hope its a misunderstanding of behalf of the Officer from whence the info came...if its not P&O will have a lot of angry passengers coming their way......just when I started to feel a bit little less peeved.:)

Well you will be fine on Ventura and Britannia.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

There were problems when BBC HD was introduced on Ventura on 18th January and I remember a friend being upset because the channel showing the Aussie Open had disappeared. We had problems with the volume on certain channels as well but all was sorted in a few days.

I can't abide Sky News under normal circumstances, but I do agree that whilst on board it did at least enable you to keep up with more 'local' events as opposed to the more global outputs of BBC News and CNN.

As for BBC HD, it sounds like at least a step in the right direction, that gives you a little more options on something to watch.

If I remember right, didn't there used to be a BBC channel like this before onboard? It showed a mix of Auntie's shows. I want to say it was called BBC Prime.

I have rec'd the following reply from P&O, does seem to me that communication between dept's is pretty lacking at times....I do think a simple answer would have been straight forward....if the answer requires some "spin" that might be cause for alarm bells to ring....anyway time to start thinking more important stuff....City or United tonight, cant wait.;):)

Hi Barrie,

Thank you for your query. Whilst we have recently introduced BBC HD on board, I am unsure as to whether this was intended to replace Sky News. As such, we have contacted our team in charge of this and will of course let you know when we have their response 1f642.png

Well you will be fine on Ventura and Britannia.

Really? I am surprised you are so willing to dismiss what a P&O officer said was happening. Surely Officers have some personal integrity? Perhaps it is being phased in. Can you please explain why you believe folk will be "fine" on Ventura and Britannia, going forward.

Really? I am surprised you are so willing to dismiss what a P&O officer said was happening. Surely Officers have some personal integrity? Perhaps it is being phased in. Can you please explain why you believe folk will be "fine" on Ventura and Britannia, going forward.

Because two people have posted on here one from Britannia and one from Ventura that they have just been on the ships of came off yesterday and said that both channels are available.

With regard to the officer giving you the wrong information I can only assume that he/she was using the "I do not know so I will make something up" which tends to happen all over the place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Because two people have posted on here one from Britannia and one from Ventura that they have just been on the ships of came off yesterday and said that both channels are available.

With regard to the officer giving you the wrong information I can only assume that he/she was using the "I do not know so I will make something up" which tends to happen all over the place

Obviously with your greater experience of P&O, although 30 years shorter than mine, you presumably have good reason to doubt P&O Officers' integrity. Perhaps you will be proved right. Time will tell...

Obviously with your greater experience of P&O, although 30 years shorter than mine, you presumably have good reason to doubt P&O Officers' integrity. Perhaps you will be proved right. Time will tell...

Well I have asked the question on another forum and two more people said both were on Ventura and another poster said they were both on Arcadia.

I have no idea why it is not so on Azura. Possibly a technical problem.

With regard to the officer giving you the wrong information I can only assume that he/she was using the "I do not know so I will make something up" which tends to happen all over the place.

I post on here all the time, but you never believe me,;p:cool:

I post on here all the time, but you never believe me,;p:cool:

I always believe you, well that you are called John. After that???

:) :) :)

That's because dai cant believe anything negative about his beloved o& o

Not when the facts are wrong.

Everyone jumped on the bandwagon after the first post and moaned and moaned.

I would much rather be a positive person than a constant moaner as some are. Even when there is nothing to moan about.

Sounds like a good move to me. I'd rather have part of my P&O payment go to the BBC than Murdoch.

There is that.

Not when the facts are wrong.

Everyone jumped on the bandwagon after the first post and moaned and moaned.

I would much rather be a positive person than a constant moaner as some are. Even when there is nothing to moan about.

If you check back you will find that most of the moaning, including mine, was directed at the quality of the news on BBC or CNN, and how superior the Sky news was. Of course implicit in this I suppose was a criticism of P&O's decision to drop Sky News in favour of BBC HD; now of course some doubt has been raised about this, although as we are on Azura in 2 weeks time it seems there may still be a problem.

It could of course be a limit on the TV channels available on the P&O system, in which case we will return to pour scorn on P&O's lousy IT systems, which we will all assume are the root cause of this new major concern.;p

If you check back you will find that most of the moaning, including mine, was directed at the quality of the news on BBC or CNN, and how superior the Sky news was. Of course implicit in this I suppose was a criticism of P&O's decision to drop Sky News in favour of BBC HD; now of course some doubt has been raised about this, although as we are on Azura in 2 weeks time it seems there may still be a problem.

It could of course be a limit on the TV channels available on the P&O system, in which case we will return to pour scorn on P&O's lousy IT systems, which we will all assume are the root cause of this new major concern.;p

No it was not you agreed with the two above you who never mentioned anything apart from "penny pinching "

And "P&O's race to the bottom"

Of course some people would not let the truth get in the way of their bad mouthing P&O at every opportunity.

And you agreed with them.

Thejuggler: Sounds like a good move to me. I'd rather have part of my P&O payment go to the BBC than Murdoch.

While my heart would totally agree with you, we are talking about a highly professional UK news programme which is only available from Sky at present for us Cruisers, I wish there was a similar BBC alternative....but until there is I am more than happy to have Sky News...its better than anything else available at present and most people are very pleased to have it by the sound of it.The Sky v BBC point is mute because they aint the same type of programming.