Same day fight-cruise...What if luggage doesn't make it? What to take as carry on?

CanadianNewbie

I know we should be there the day before but it just wasn't an option or we would have. Just a hypothetical because the times my luggage hasn't hit the ground when I did it was switching airlines or really tight transfers and that's not the case this time but what would you take in your carry on if you knew that you ran the risk of your luggage not making the cruise. Aside from the obvious tooth brush and swim shorts what would you do? Anyone ran into fellow cruisers on board that had this happen?

I know we should be there the day before but it just wasn't an option or we would have. Just a hypothetical because the times my luggage hasn't hit the ground when I did it was switching airlines or really tight transfers and that's not the case this time but what would you take in your carry on if you knew that you ran the risk of your luggage not making the cruise. Aside from the obvious tooth brush and swim shorts what would you do? Anyone ran into fellow cruisers on board that had this happen?

If it were me and I was flying day of I would only pack in a carry on. No waiting at baggage claim incase flight runs behind and no chance of lost luggage. If you can't possibly pack in one carry on I would pack at the very least a few days worth of clothes in one, better safe than sorry.

Don't you love when people reply and don't answer your question?:rolleyes:

We are flying the day of also..no choice here either.

Pack your toiletries that you would not want to be without, medications (especially prescription), jewelry, electronics and at least one change of clothing. And the obvious: Passports, boarding passes, any hotel and flight confirmations, any pre-booked tour email confirmations.

Have a great cruise!!

You must be taking a red eye, I hope?

Airlines & hotels usually will have a free toiletry kit or items (on arrival at the luggage office while you file for "missing or lost" suitcases - ask for it) available if your luggage mis-connect and/or you can usually buy replacement & make a claim for reimbursement with the receipt.

Pack as much overnight clothing as you can into the carryon - and other important items like valuables, electronics & medications. Slim packing tubes are excellent to get the most out of using backpack for travel. If the checked luggage missed the flight, you won't see them again until the end of your cruise - a few days or a week or more, later on ....

Keep contents of 3-1-1 bags to a minimum and you fly often to places, consider a "travel" vests with xx pockets to carry lots of "gadgets" and gears with you.

Only once, on another line. They gave him vouchers for stuff in their shops, and they were the most casual people on board. I think they were mad when their luggage did show up.

One of the staples in my wardrobe is an ankle length knit skirt in black that can easily be dressed up or down. It NEVER wrinkles and you can pack it rolled up in a ball and will come out looking great. Easy to handwash and can be paired with almost anything to look great day or night.

Buying tops is usually easier on board or in ports; its getting the right 'bottom' that might be hard so a simple black skirt covers everything!

One of the staples in my wardrobe is an ankle length knit skirt in black that can easily be dressed up or down. It NEVER wrinkles and you can pack it rolled up in a ball and will come out looking great. Easy to handwash and can be paired with almost anything to look great day or night.

Buying tops is usually easier on board or in ports; its getting the right 'bottom' that might be hard so a simple black skirt covers everything!

This was a very constructive answer!!

Along the same lines, I would pack 1 swim suit too. And I would wear travel clothes that would appropriate for the cruise ship too.

It happened to my cousin. She was due in the day before the cruise and due to weather problems she got re-routed several times. She made it in about 11 PM the night before the cruise but her bag did not. The next day her bag had still not turned up. Carnival was great in providing her some items, a discount for everything she bought in the shop and free laundry one time. There were 7 ladies in our group so we could loan her clothes to wear. Her biggest problems were underwear, phone charger, camera charger, bathing suit and shoes. She bought some shirts on the ship but the selection was limited. We all checked every time we went by the shops and finally they put out some black capris and she bought those. At our first port, Acapulco, I had arranged a private tour so at the end we stopped at Walmart so she could buy whatever else she needed. Southwest did reimburse her.

Same cruise an aunt arrived but her bag ended up at another airport (I live in an area with 6 airports). I had to drive an hour each way to go get her bag because the airline would not guarantee delivery of the bag before the cruise.

Jen

That happened to my husband and me on our first cruise, which was in the mid-90s. The cruise line gave each of us a voucher for $$ (don't recall the exact amount, but believe it was $50 or $75) to purchase items from shops onboard. In 2005, while cruising with two female friends, the luggage of one friend did not arrive. We departed from Miami, were at sea for two days, and her bags were delivered to the ship in Barbados, our first stop. She wasn't offered any $$ from the ship, but she had brought a few things with her in her carry-on, and she and my other friend were able to share clothing. Like others have suggested, pack any necessities and at least a change of clothing in your carry-on.

I always pack in my carry on one pair of dinner capris and two tops, one pair of dinner sandals, three pair of underwear, one pair of shorts, make up, hair products, one nightgown, one bathing suit and all medications I travel with. You can buy t-shirts on board. You cannot buy underwear or the type of make up I wear. And it's hard to find dinner outfits on board, especially if you wear anything over a size 10:rolleyes:!

Hope that helps!

Along with what others have said. My DH and I pack clothes in each others suitcase in case of missing luggage. One time we were waiting for our bags and he said "Woohoo I've got clothes!" Mine finally showed up but it seemed like it took forever. Have a great time on your cruise!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

Toiletries (within guideline sizes), for sure meds, makeup, sanitary needs(they have very limited choice and expensive, several pair of underwear, bathing suit and cover up, electronics, camera and charger, pair of shorts/pants and few tops to mix and match. And cross pack with spouse/friend in case one does not arrive at all or very late. I seriously can pack for 7 day cruise/all inclusive in a carry on - didn't wear half the crap I use to take. Wore my heavier bulkier stuff but then flying from Northern Ontario in the middle of winter you don't wear shorts and sandals.

My luggage was lost on a flight from Columbus to Orlando. It 's a devastating feeling! We were going on a 4 day on RC. We flew in the night before, and the airline kept telling me it would be on the next flight. It never arrived! We stopped at Target on the way to the port and my husband and I had to try to buy me enough clothes for 4 nights. I even bought a long skirt and pretty blouse for formal night. My luggage was now a duffle bag we bought too. I had to fill in a form with the airline with the contents and description and price. They wanted receipts also . I was reimbursed and received a check in a few weeks. Since that happened, I make a list of everything I pack for a cruise and now take a carry on with some clothes "just in case".

Don't you love when people reply and don't answer your question?:rolleyes:

And here's another:

On a 2 week luxury cruise we took a woman's luggage was lost.

They gave her things from the gift shop. She showed up at every meal wearing Nautical shirts and pants with the ships name written on them!

She was an avid photographer so had only her photography stuff in her carry on. She said she didn't care about the other stuff because the cruise wear was nicer than her things anyway and she liked the excuse not to dress up for dinner! Oh, they also provided her with personal items such as a toothbrush.

If you're really worried just pack items that are very important(medications) or irreplaceable/expensive in your carry on and don't worry about the rest. You can get basic necessities on the ship and other needed items in ports.

And here's another:

On a 2 week luxury cruise we took a woman's luggage was lost.

They gave her things from the gift shop. She showed up at every meal wearing Nautical shirts and pants with the ships name written on them!

She was an avid photographer so had only her photography stuff in her carry on. She said she didn't care about the other stuff because the cruise wear was nicer than her things anyway and she liked the excuse not to dress up for dinner! Oh, they also provided her with personal items such as a toothbrush.

If you're really worried just pack items that are very important(medications) or irreplaceable/expensive in your carry on and don't worry about the rest. You can get basic necessities on the ship and other needed items in ports.

On Carnival what they give you is MINIMAL.

AND, I don't want to spend my port time wasted on trying to find clothes I like or that fit.

We flew nonstop for our last cruise. One bag got lost (yup, the big one with all of our clothes). It was NEVER found.

Thankfully we flew in the day before so we had time to stop at Target the morning of the cruise and buy a completely new wardrobe for the entire family.

To answer your question: Cross Pack ( meaning, don't put ALL of your stuff in one bag and ALL of your spouses stuff in another bag. That way if one bag gets lost, both still have stuff to wear.

Pack a smaller bag as if you were taking a 2 day quick getaway. Thankfully, I took the time to make one carry on with enough clothes and toiletries for 2 days for the whole family which gave us enough time to get to a place where we could buy more clothing .

Two words....

travel insurance!

This happened to a friend of mine. Thank goodness it was only a 4 day cruise.

She jokingly refers to it as her "naked cruise".

The airline lost her luggage and then sent it back home.

If I am remembering correctly, she picked it up when she landed back home....

it happens!!

Archived