Are there casual places to eat on HAL - specifically the

genealogyfan

On our last 30 day cruise on the Niew Amsterdam, we only ate about 6 times in main dining room and 2 times Tamarand.

The remainng days we ate in the Lido and loved it. In the evening they spiff it up and it seems very nice, not like a buffet. They have wine and drinks service and waiters who will assist you to add to the atmosphere.

I would have you reconsider jeans as they are heavy, the cotton when wet can be a real health hazard, and they are bulky and soil easily. Rather, why not consider dockers or some of the new micro-fiber walking pants North Face and Mt. Hardware have some great stylish designs.

I think REI carrys them...with zip off legs that converts then to shorts.

On a cruise, I would suggest real functional clothes that can be worn on tours or in the dining room, are low maint, light and compact. I can pack a pair of mico-fiber dress slacks, a pair of hiking pants with zip off legs and a pair of dockers in about the same space and weight. Bingo you are set to any level, Throw the dockers on with a Golf shirt and a sport coat and you will fit in all but formal nights.:o

Nieuw Amsterdam

There is also the Canaletto where you can wear jeans for dinner.

On formal nights the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind are dressy nights.

I agree with Dan about the jeans and considering something else like dockers. There is no self service laundry on this ship that if the jeans do get a little wet or damp -- you can't just throw them into the dryer. And they are heavy in the suitcases.

ms Nieuw Amsterdam

Just wondering if there are buffet/casual type places to eat on the ship. Not too casual but where wearing jeans is acceptable.

Not sure we want to dress up every night

Lots of choices with jeans - MDR on non formal nights - Lido every night.

Hal also offers great room service - you can order off the MDR menu is you are so inclined:) for dinner. Pretty nice and well done.

worry pas - there are much more important things in life to worry about:)

Bit off topic.... jeans come in all different blends now - they are not all heavy and bulky. I have some Old Navy jeans that are very lightweight - blend of polyester, spandex and cotton. All depends on the kind you own.

I would just add that on HAL the lido serves pretty much the same menu each night as the MDR.

Roy

This. And I always find the simple grilled salmon quite a bit better in the Lido than off the MDR always available menu.

On our last 30 day cruise on the Niew Amsterdam, we only ate about 6 times in main dining room and 2 times Tamarand.

The remainng days we ate in the Lido and loved it. In the evening they spiff it up and it seems very nice, not like a buffet. They have wine and drinks service and waiters who will assist you to add to the atmosphere.

I would have you reconsider jeans as they are heavy, the cotton when wet can be a real health hazard, and they are bulky and soil easily. Rather, why not consider dockers or some of the new micro-fiber walking pants North Face and Mt. Hardware have some great stylish designs.

On a cruise, I would suggest real functional clothes that can be worn on tours or in the dining room, are low maint, light and compact. I can pack a pair of mico-fiber dress slacks, a pair of hiking pants with zip off legs and a pair of dockers in about the same space and weight. Bingo you are set to any level, Throw the dockers on with a Golf shirt and a sport coat and you will fit in all but formal nights.:o

SIZE][/font]

You, are not up on the new Jean styles..I have several pairs of light weight jeans which are a cotton, poly, spandex blend & they are neither heavy nor soil easily!..Since when can cotton be a health hazard when wet? And since when will they get wet in the Lido?

There is no reason to discourage anyone from wearing jeans in the Lido, just because you don't like them..

To the OP..To answer your question: Yes the NA has a lovely Lido Buffet & you can wear jeans anytime in it..Jeans are also permitted in the MDR on smart casual night..

However, if you plan to wear heavy weight jeans while sightseeing in a wet climate, you might wish to rethink it..I wore plain cotton jeans during the rainy season, on a jungle tour in Costa Rica many years ago...Was caught in a rainstorm & my jeans were soaked & would not dry..On the bus going back to our ship I froze, because it was hot & the air cond. was on in the bus..I've since learned my lesson! I wear only light weight Capri's or shorts which dry quickly on tours....

Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers...:)Betty

on our last cruise, wore shorts most of time - just put on pants or jeans when we went to dinner

Just wanted to see if there was an alternative to having to dress up for dinner but not eating in the cabin. Thanks again for all the replies

Since when can cotton be a health hazard when wet?
Was caught in a rainstorm & my jeans were soaked & would not dry..On the bus going back to our ship I froze
I think you might have just answered your own question. It's not LIKELY that someone will be lost in the wilderness on a HAL excursion in Alaska. But unlike wool or certain tech fabrics which will keep you warm even when wet, wet cotton can quickly draw heat from your body and threaten hypothermia.

I am always amazed how I can learn something new on just about every thread on this site. I never knew cotton was a health hazard when wet and that jeans will soil more easily than Dockers.

Thanks for expanding my knowledge!

on our last cruise, wore shorts most of time - just put on pants or jeans when we went to dinner

Just wanted to see if there was an alternative to having to dress up for dinner but not eating in the cabin. Thanks again for all the replies

You don't have to limit yourself to the Lido on casual nights. If you normally change into pants or jeans for dinner, you're on your way to MDR casual dress. Men need a collared shirt, not a tee shirt--a polo shirt counts as "collared." Jacket and tie are needed only for formal night.

I am always amazed how I can learn something new on just about every thread on this site. I never knew cotton was a health hazard when wet and that jeans will soil more easily than Dockers.

Thanks for expanding my knowledge!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

:D

I think you must be thinking of jeans as Levi's. But have you looked at the variety of jeans materials available nowadays?

Better than Dockers imo.

I have tried to buy jeans for men that are as comfortable as Dockers. No luck. Dockers are much more comfortable than any jeans I tried on, and look a LOT better in the MDR (getting back on topic).

igraf

Bit off topic.... jeans come in all different blends now - they are not all heavy and bulky. I have some Old Navy jeans that are very lightweight - blend of polyester, spandex and cotton. All depends on the kind you own.

Archived