Tampa port, traveling with kids, so many questions!

I'm feeling so overwhelmed right now. We are going to be taking a cruise out of Tampa next month. This is our first cruise out of Tampa, we usually go out of Galveston, which is driving distance from us...we just drive down, pay for parking, and that's it.

Flying, getting a hotel, and planning a day in Tampa adds a whole new layer to this trip and I don't even know where to start.

Our flight into Tampa arrives at 10 am the day BEFORE the cruise. It would make sense to rent a car for the day so we can get around, right? I assume that would be cheaper than ubering everywhere. I was looking at hotels that provide shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and then the hotel to the port. In my head I am thinking we would do this:

-Fly in and rent a car for 24 hours...

-Return the car at the airport the next morning

-Take the hotel shuttle back to the hotel.

-Once at the hotel we would check out catch the shuttle from the hotel to the cruise port.

It all just seems like SO much. Am I over complicating things? Is there a more simple way to do this?

What kinds of things are there to do while in Tampa that are inexpensive and fun for kids (6 & 7 years old) ?

Your children would probably love the Florida Aquarium, which is located at the port, and is reasonable when compared with Busch Gardens, etc. I don't know exactly how much-- I've always had free tickets, but you can check their website for prices.

Whether you NEED a car or not depends on where you're staying, and what's nearby that you could walk to....Hotels.com gives a rundown of "what's close" to all the different hotels....that might help you, if you haven't booked the hotel yet...or, even, if you have!

Whether you NEED a car or not depends on where you're staying, and what's nearby that you could walk to....Hotels.com gives a rundown of "what's close" to all the different hotels....that might help you, if you haven't booked the hotel yet...or, even, if you have!

That's a great idea! I have not booked a hotel yet so I can look and see what's nearby before I decide on one.

I️ don’t think it’s complicated if you have more than one adult, or the kids are old enough, have them wait at the hotel while you return the car

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

oh duh. lol I don't know why I was thinking we all had to go to return the car. It makes way more sense to just send my husband and then I can stay with the kids.

Also in the port/Flordia Aquarium area is a light rail/trolley car to ride on (kids love it if they haven't been on one before), and a bowling alley/restaurant/bar called Splitsville (clean, modern and family friendly). The bowling alley is in Channelside Bay Plaza right next to aquarium. American Victory Ship is also there, which is a WWII ship that you can tour and explore.

• 1 month later...
You can do a one-way car rental from the airport to the port area. We use Avis, which has an office in the Embassy Suites near the port. The rental agency has a free shuttle to the port.

I was reading this chain as the question is similar to my own and I came across this answer. I hope this isn't a stupid question, but we are considering taking your advice and renting a car from Avis and then take the shuttle to the port, but we need to reverse that scenario on the day we get off the ship, so what would be the best way to get from the Port back to Avis after sailing? I doubt they have a shuttle picking people up after getting off the ship. Thank you for any advice. We are new to all of this!

I was reading this chain as the question is similar to my own and I came across this answer. I hope this isn't a stupid question, but we are considering taking your advice and renting a car from Avis and then take the shuttle to the port, but we need to reverse that scenario on the day we get off the ship, so what would be the best way to get from the Port back to Avis after sailing? I doubt they have a shuttle picking people up after getting off the ship. Thank you for any advice. We are new to all of this!

You can call the agency and request a pick up, and they will do this time permitting. However, if they get busy, it could be a while before they come. We have walked before, and it's not a bad walk, but it could be a pain with bags. We've also taken a taxi, which is a flat rate of $6 per person in the downtown area.

Some of the best beaches are just a short drive from Tampa and they are free. You might even want to consider staying in one of the hotels on the beach in the Clearwater, St. Petersburg area. It's beautiful this time of year and the Gulf is still warm. Enjoy your cruise!

If it were me i would skip the rental car and spend that money on a hotel close to the pier. There is plenty to do for that age near the port and the area is pedestrian friendly. There is a visitor center just outside the pier that was very helpful for us on one visit. [or as we did once the visitor center was a way for us to tell the rental car agency where we were and needed a pick up].

We love the Clearwater area beaches. However, our kids when they were 6 and 7 did not spend a lot of time laying on the sand sunbathing. They wanted to be doing something. You will not have beach towels, chairs, cooler, sand toys, etc with you. Maybe you have more easily entertained kids than we did.

However, an aquarium, bowling alley, restaurants etc in the Channelside area would have given us plenty to do.

If it were me i would skip the rental car and spend that money on a hotel close to the pier. There is plenty to do for that age near the port and the area is pedestrian friendly. There is a visitor center just outside the pier that was very helpful for us on one visit. [or as we did once the visitor center was a way for us to tell the rental car agency where we were and needed a pick up].

We love the Clearwater area beaches. However, our kids when they were 6 and 7 did not spend a lot of time laying on the sand sunbathing. They wanted to be doing something. You will not have beach towels, chairs, cooler, sand toys, etc with you. Maybe you have more easily entertained kids than we did.

However, an aquarium, bowling alley, restaurants etc in the Channelside area would have given us plenty to do.

This is excellent advise. I too would recommend staying in the Channelside area. I usually stay at the Embassy Suites down the street from the port. You’ll only be there for a day so there will be more than enough to occupy you. Don’t spend the extra money it will cost for a beach hotel during high season, you get plenty of sun & fun on your cruise.

Tampa Hotels

These are my top recommendations for hotels in downtown Tampa. All of

these are less than 1 mile from the cruise port. You can uber to port

$6, download the app “downtowner” for a free ride, or walk and it

should take you 10-15 mins. Or ask kindly, and I’ll come get you!

1. Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina – Likely the most expensive

option, but they are right on the riverwalk. If you can get a good

deal on this hotel, don’t pass it up.

2. Embassy Suites by Hilton – This hotel is directly in front of

the Marriott, so again great location, but it’s not on the riverwalk.

First world problems you might have to walk ½ a block! Ha.

3. The Westin Tampa Harbour Island – Usually the best rates, only

a 3 min walk to the riverwalk, just over the bridge. I’ve seen rates

here less than $100/night. This hotel has a really nice restaurant

that connected to it, Jackson’s steakhouse.

There are more options, but I’d try to stick with one of these 3 for

the best locations. They are all around the popular Sail Pavilion

Bar that’s on the riverwalk.

Hope this helps some! Let me know if you have more questions I live downtown right beside the port of Tampa.

I would pick a hotel in downtown near the Port. Plenty of ways to keep the little ones occupied for a day without breaking the bank. They would enjoy the Aquarium, which is next door to the Port. There is also the Glazer Children’s Museum. The river walk is amazing, with plenty of play areas for little kids. You could also take the trolley to see Ybor City. No real need to have a car in downtown Tampa. Hope you enjoy Tampa and your cruise.

Tampa Hotels

These are my top recommendations for hotels in downtown Tampa. All of

these are less than 1 mile from the cruise port. You can uber to port

$6, download the app “downtowner” for a free ride, or walk and it

should take you 10-15 mins. Or ask kindly, and I’ll come get you!

1. Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina – Likely the most expensive

option, but they are right on the riverwalk. If you can get a good

deal on this hotel, don’t pass it up.

2. Embassy Suites by Hilton – This hotel is directly in front of

the Marriott, so again great location, but it’s not on the riverwalk.

First world problems you might have to walk ½ a block! Ha.

3. The Westin Tampa Harbour Island – Usually the best rates, only

a 3 min walk to the riverwalk, just over the bridge. I’ve seen rates

here less than $100/night. This hotel has a really nice restaurant

that connected to it, Jackson’s steakhouse.

There are more options, but I’d try to stick with one of these 3 for

the best locations. They are all around the popular Sail Pavilion

Bar that’s on the riverwalk.

Hope this helps some! Let me know if you have more questions I live downtown right beside the port of Tampa.

We love Marriott Waterside....but we have also stayed at Embassy Suites and liked it too.

The ES has free breakfast which is a plus with little ones

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

a little 'expectations management'

Channel side is virtually dead. The bowling alley and hooters are about the only places open anymore so don't plan on this being your hub of activity. the area is not bad for hotels or to walk around even at night it is just that Channelside as an entertainment venue never caught on so most of the store fronts are dark .... I was just there a couple of months ago and confirmed this is still the case and has been this way for a number of years....

Riverwalk itself is nice and family friendly and there is a water taxi that runs the length so you can walk one way and ride back the other.

Note also that if you stay at a downtown hotel you will probably be in the zone for FREE RIDES around town! That's right ... free, on call, point to point .... all you need do is download the app then like UBER you call for a ride and they come. BUT unlike UBER, NO CHARGE!!!!

See https://www.tampasdowntown.com/getting-around/free-ride-service/

You really don't need more that Riverwalk for the day. You'll find 6 different parks and 'splashzones' for fun, Columbia Cafe for lunch or dinner (not bad Cuban), the Aquarium anchor's one end ... Glazer Children's Museum is along the way.

https://www.visittampabay.com/tour-the-riverwalk

This is all really useful - I'm also going out of Tampa for the first time in a couple of weeks.

I need to get from the port to my hotel near the airport on disembarkation day - will there be cabs at the port I can grab?

Cabs are plentiful. Flat rate of $25 between the airport and the port.