Breakaway 13 Day Southern Caribbean Review with lots of pictures (plus Haven) again

ncklhaus

About an hour after arriving at Long Bay beach, a 47 year old passenger was apparently having trouble in the water and upon hearing the screams of his fiancee, was pulled out by the other members of our group. CPR was started and never stopped until such time as an ambulance arrived at the beach---which took well over half an hour! The two jeep drivers had no emergency equipment with them (and neither knew CPR). Luckily we were with passengers that did and they valiantly tried to keep Ed alive. Sadly all of our efforts were in vain as he never recovered. I want to warn future cruisers of this dangerous beach and excursion. Hopefully, after this tragic event, this particular excursion is no longer an option. It was horrific to witness and needless to say the rest of our cruise was a challenge to enjoy fully, remembering the shocking events of that day.

That was really tragic. You will really never know. So sad for the fellow.

What a wonderful second review of your Breakaway & Haven experience...it's like being on the cruise all over again with your wonderful photos of the ship and the really amazing food/drinks on board. I am sorry to hear of your dad's illness and am sending along prayers for your family during this very difficult time.

You had a much happier day in Tortola. I don't know if you were aware that in Tortola, BVI, on day six of our cruise, we lost a passenger due to drowning. We were on the 4x4 jeep explorer and beach excursion (it was an NCL sponsored excursion). The two jeeps and 12 passengers had a few stops at different spots along the way on the island for photo opportunities. We ultimately arrived at a beach called Long Bay Beach to enjoy the sun and sand. It was absolutely beautiful and serene---so isolated that we were on the only ones on the beach. So isolated that there were no bathroom facilities, not even beach chairs. (The drivers stopped at the local airport first so we could use the restroom first!) About an hour after arriving at Long Bay beach, a 47 year old passenger was apparently having trouble in the water and upon hearing the screams of his fiancee, was pulled out by the other members of our group. CPR was started and never stopped until such time as an ambulance arrived at the beach---which took well over half an hour! The two jeep drivers had no emergency equipment with them (and neither knew CPR). Luckily we were with passengers that did and they valiantly tried to keep Ed alive. Sadly all of our efforts were in vain as he never recovered. I want to warn future cruisers of this dangerous beach and excursion. Hopefully, after this tragic event, this particular excursion is no longer an option. It was horrific to witness and needless to say the rest of our cruise was a challenge to enjoy fully, remembering the shocking events of that day.

I am glad we upgraded to the Haven spa suite---you said we wouldn't regret it and we certainly didn't. I absolutely recommend everyone do it at least once just for the extra-special experience. I look forward to the rest of your review!

I was not aware that this happened. I can understand the ship not wanting to share this information. Sorry to hear of this now.

For those that are interested, I looked on the internet and found an article in the local Tortola BVI paper:

http://bvinews.com/new/suspected-drowning-at-long-bay-beach/

Joann, thanks again for the review and we continue to pray for your dad. I hope these posts are able to put an occasional smile on your face! :)

A couple quick questions? Do you know if Stefano will be on the Mar 26 sailing in the Haven? I'm dying to try those drinks. Also, have you ever used Vibe and the cabanas there? Normally at a resort we would rent a cabana, but maybe it's not needed if you're in the Haven? Wondering it we might want to use it on a 7-day from NYC, or if we'd likely never go up there. Thx!

Hey everyone. We returned from our cruise on Sunday, so I figured I should get this review started already. I've had a lot going on and I was having issues getting my pictures uploaded and ready, but I now have the first 3 days done.

Please forgive me if I take a break here and there from posting. My father was just diagnosed today with either bone cancer that has spread to his lungs and liver, or lung cancer that has spread to his liver and bones. Either way, it's not good. My family just can't get a break.

For those of you that know me, or read my other reviews you would know that this cruise was supposed to be a relaxing, recharge our batteries type of vacation. My Mother-in-law passed away in November from dementia. And I had recently undergone 2 more surgeries for my post breast cancer reconstruction (Build-A-Boob). The first reconstruction was right after our 14 day cruise in January 2016, and then the reconstruction ruptured and tore apart, so I had to have them redone in June 2016. You know I took advantage of it and had them made just a little bit bigger. :p

So, we really needed this cruise to be relaxing and fun for all of us. Would that happen? Stick with me and you will find out!

saw this 13day cruise with no single supplement for inside, OV and balcony!

unfortunately, i couldnt get time off to take advantage of this last minute deal. :(

anyway, i anxiously will be reading the rest to experience the trip vicariously thru you. :p

Joann, thanks again for the review and we continue to pray for your dad. I hope these posts are able to put an occasional smile on your face! :)

A couple quick questions? Do you know if Stefano will be on the Mar 26 sailing in the Haven? I'm dying to try those drinks. Also, have you ever used Vibe and the cabanas there? Normally at a resort we would rent a cabana, but maybe it's not needed if you're in the Haven? Wondering it we might want to use it on a 7-day from NYC, or if we'd likely never go up there. Thx!

Stefano will be onboard until April 9th. Make sure you say Hi from us.

We had Vibe for this cruise but I never went, not once. Being in the Haven I didn't think it was necessary. Plus I never really had a chance to go.

Personally, I don't think you need it. The Haven has its own sun deck with cushioned lounge chairs. There's no hot tub up on the sun deck like vibe has, but you do have 2 hot tubs and the pool right there in the courtyard.

What a wonderful second review of your Breakaway & Haven experience...it's like being on the cruise all over again with your wonderful photos of the ship and the really amazing food/drinks on board. I am sorry to hear of your dad's illness and am sending along prayers for your family during this very difficult time.

You had a much happier day in Tortola. I don't know if you were aware that in Tortola, BVI, on day six of our cruise, we lost a passenger due to drowning. We were on the 4x4 jeep explorer and beach excursion (it was an NCL sponsored excursion). The two jeeps and 12 passengers had a few stops at different spots along the way on the island for photo opportunities. We ultimately arrived at a beach called Long Bay Beach to enjoy the sun and sand. It was absolutely beautiful and serene---so isolated that we were on the only ones on the beach. So isolated that there were no bathroom facilities, not even beach chairs. (The drivers stopped at the local airport first so we could use the restroom first!) About an hour after arriving at Long Bay beach, a 47 year old passenger was apparently having trouble in the water and upon hearing the screams of his fiancee, was pulled out by the other members of our group. CPR was started and never stopped until such time as an ambulance arrived at the beach---which took well over half an hour! The two jeep drivers had no emergency equipment with them (and neither knew CPR). Luckily we were with passengers that did and they valiantly tried to keep Ed alive. Sadly all of our efforts were in vain as he never recovered. I want to warn future cruisers of this dangerous beach and excursion. Hopefully, after this tragic event, this particular excursion is no longer an option. It was horrific to witness and needless to say the rest of our cruise was a challenge to enjoy fully, remembering the shocking events of that day.

I am glad we upgraded to the Haven spa suite---you said we wouldn't regret it and we certainly didn't. I absolutely recommend everyone do it at least once just for the extra-special experience. I look forward to the rest of your review!

Wow. I didn't know anything about that. That's so sad.

I'm glad you took the upgrade. The Haven is wonderful. We booked it again for December.

Good morning Beautiful Barbados!

20170110_075324_zpsght2v5kp.jpg

20170110_075330_zpsg9htjkca.jpg

We had to be off the ship and meet our excursion busses. The port was huge! We were docked really far, so they actually had shuttle busses pick us up by the ship and take us to the port building. So much better than walking.

Then you follow the colored line through the port building to the bus area. We were quickly whisked away.

20170110_085104_zpsg3ptg0id.jpg

By 9am we were at Harbour Lights. We were told to be ready for the return trip at noon.

20170110_090550_zpslumlteva.jpg

The excursion came with a free drink and a regular chair or lounge chair with a shared umbrella. We picked regular chairs because we planned on spending most of our time there in the water.

20170110_105011_zps2cv30tcq.jpg

20170110_105020_zpsb27tc5vh.jpg

20170110_105027_zpscnu8rhq5.jpg

20170110_1050340_zps1rg3wtsu.jpg

We decided to try snorkeling for the first time. It was absolutely amazing! I have lots of pictures of snorkeling on that other site but only because my friend took the pictures with her underwater camera. We saw a shipwreck and turtles. A boat picked us up off the beach and supplied us with gear and took us to the 2 sites. How much was this excursion? A whole $10 per person! What? OK!! Done.

20170110_105045_zpsmvt9vkas.jpg

After we got back, we swam for a little while longer. And then we decided to grab a quick bite. But by the time the food was ready, we only had maybe 5 minutes until we were supposed to meet the bus. So it was like, shove a few bites of chicken and a few fries in your mouth and toss the rest. I found the chicken tenders to be a bit strange, but I think it was seasoned with something we weren't expecting, like Jerk seasoning. Melissa got regular fries which were good and I got sweet potato fries which were also good. I added a Habanero sauce on top and oh my goodness. They were yummy!

As you walk out, they have vendors set up selling trinkets and jewelry and of course Melissa wants a turtle necklace. Actually, so did I. 2 for $15? Sold.

We were going to have a "light" lunch.We ordered wings to share between me and Mike, I ordered the soup of the day which was butternut squash soup, Mike ordered the Caesar Salad with Blackened Chicken, I ordered the Chopped Salad and Melissa ordered a Hot Dog with fries.

We placed our order at 1:45.

By 1:55 we were digging into our wings

20170110_135907_zpsk2ijfkow.jpg

I was slurping my soup

20170110_135902_zpssfgl7ona.jpg

And eating my salad

20170110_135922_zpsn3doosf2.jpg

Mike had his salad with grilled chicken. Wait? He ordered blackened. Oh well, it's probably better for him that it wasn't. He was having issues with his gall bladder the whole cruise.

20170110_135912_zps59xebx1y.jpg

So we were eating our food and then I realize that Melissa is moping. What's wrong Melissa? Oh wow. We were so hungry that we didn't realize that her food hadn't come out yet!

I couldn't get any servers attention so at 2:05 I got up and walked over to the entrance to the kitchen area and stopped a server as they were coming out to find out where her food was.

At 2:08, her hot dog was served.

20170110_140844_zpsxzaw7tgl.jpg

Here she is recreating what she looked like while we were eating and she had nothing. LOL

20170110_140857_zpsamrb1w2t.jpg

She did say it was really good and worth the wait.

Hilarious that the same pecan crusted chicken on the MDR menu is a "special" in the Haven Restaurant.

I noticed the same thing! It seemed that every Haven "special" was something that was offered somewhere else on the ship as well.:p

saw this 13day cruise with no single supplement for inside, OV and balcony!

unfortunately, i couldnt get time off to take advantage of this last minute deal. :(

Amazingly it worked so we did have the time. Saw it and booked it on Thursday, sailed on Monday.

Because no single supplement We booked an IX and a BA for my wife and I. We used the balcony room but it was fun having a second room. So we had a room in close proximity to each bank of elevators.

Really enjoying reading your review! It has me excited for our return to the Breakaway in 2 weeks! We re big fans of Stefano too! When we were on the Breakaway in September he had just been promoted to full time Haven bartender. I really enjoyed all is creative concoctions. Especially his old-fashioned with cigar smoked bourbon. We spent a fair amount of time in that lounge :)

Really hope he is still onboard in two weeks. I have some recollection that he was going to be on until April and then his contract was up and he wasn't sure if he was coming back. I hope I get one more chance to experience his creations.

Well if Stefano is the guy with glasses, I think he sucks as a bartender. I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea, and what I ended up getting tasted like crap. He obviously didn't know how to make it. The guy from the Philippines was much much better.

Well if Stefano is the guy with glasses, I think he sucks as a bartender. I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea, and what I ended up getting tasted like crap. He obviously didn't know how to make it. The guy from the Philippines was much much better.

Wow. I don't know what to say about that. I know how to make a Long Island Iced Tea. Equal parts of Vodka, Gin, Rum, Tequila, add some Triple Sec, then shake and top off with soda(cola). But I went to bartending school in the '90's on Long Island, so that was one of the first drinks we learned..LOL

We really liked Stefano. He was a really nice guy. After spending 2 weeks with him, he became a friend.

I guess that the Long Island Iced Tea was just a drink he didn't know well, or hadn't done often and nobody taught him the right way.

We enjoyed the "guy from the Philippines" as well.