Arriving at Port Everglades at 6:15 am. Can I make it to 8:45 am flight from FLL?

sherezada

Here we go again....OP if you searched "fight times' you would have come up with hundreds of questions of same, with thousands of answers. Sorry, be prepared for some snarky answers...

edited to add...there are 214 threads on this, just go to search "can I make flight" and you will find hundreds of answers...choose what you think is best for you...good luck

Edited by myfuzzy

Thank you for providing me some guidance on what terms to use to search (as you can see, I didn't use those terms in my question, so I would have never found them). And thank you for reminding me of how harsh these boards can be. I will refrain from asking anything else, as I'm sure every question has already been answered throughout the many years of this board. It will sure make for a boring board though.

Can you make an 8:45 flight - maybe. You need to be at FLL for check-in by about 7:15 or so, to allow time to get through TSA, etc. With the port only a 10-15 minute cab ride away, that means off the ship, with bags and clear of customs/immigration before 7:00.

Possible - maybe. Likely - doubtful. Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused: I would look for a flight closer to 11:00 or later and sleep in, enjoy one last breakfast in the MDR, and leave the ship about 9:00.

Your call - good luck (you'll need it for the early flight!) :)

Can you make an 8:45 flight - maybe. You need to be at FLL for check-in by about 7:15 or so, to allow time to get through TSA, etc. With the port only a 10-15 minute cab ride away, that means off the ship, with bags and clear of customs/immigration before 7:00.

Possible - maybe. Likely - doubtful. Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused: I would look for a flight closer to 11:00 or later and sleep in, enjoy one last breakfast in the MDR, and leave the ship about 9:00.

Thank you. We have TSA Pre, so I think that would save us some time. I also did a quote with a transportation service and when I put in my flight time of 8:45 am they stated they would pick me up at 7:15, which sounds doable to me?

If not, our next option would be leaving at 6:45 pm.Husband is dreading having to figure out what to do all that time with 2 kids and bags on tow.

Going on the Harmony this August and it docks at 6:15 am on Sat Aug 11. Is an 8:45 am flight doable if we self-disembark?

I think this is cutting it a little close. Even assuming the ship releases passengers at 6:15a exactly, you’re the first ones off the ship, and fly through customs, I don’t think you could reasonably expect to be at the airport before 7:15. And there’s no telling how long it’ll take you to get through security. There’s really no cushion for anything to go wrong. In a perfect world, it’s probably fine. But this world is far from perfect.

Excellent summation. Personally we wouldn't book that flight, but it depends on your comfort level with the risk. Too bad there aren't any other flight choices.....:(

I also did a quote with a transportation service and when I put in my flight time of 8:45 am they stated they would pick me up at 7:15, which sounds doable to me?

Wouldn't even bother with booking transportation. Walk outside grab a cab and go, there's going to be a line of them waiting to pickup passengers.

Going on the Harmony this August and it docks at 6:15 am on Sat Aug 11. Is an 8:45 am flight doable if we self-disembark?

The 615 arrival is a estimate.

If everything goes perfect you can make this flight, but if anything runs late you will be in trouble.

Long line getting off the ship, not enough custom agents, delay of being cleared from customs, etc

I once made it from Port Canaveral to Universal Studios by 9am for park opening, and that was only because everything ran perfect.

Thank you. We have TSA Pre, so I think that would save us some time. I also did a quote with a transportation service and when I put in my flight time of 8:45 am they stated they would pick me up at 7:15, which sounds doable to me?

If not, our next option would be leaving at 6:45 pm.Husband is dreading having to figure out what to do all that time with 2 kids and bags on tow.

Rent a car, put the bags in the trunk and go where you want for the day - Everglades tour, beach, water taxi, etc. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist info. You can also pay to store your bags at the FLL airport if you do not want to rent a car.

Or check into day rates at a hotel - splash in the pool, lunch, shopping, etc.

www.resortpass.com is another option for resorts offering day passes (tip them to store your bags) while you enjoy their facilities.

Have you looked at flights from MIA and PBI in addition to FLL?

Good luck! ;)

Rent a car, put the bags in the trunk and go where you want for the day - Everglades tour, beach, water taxi, etc. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist info. You can also pay to store your bags at the FLL airport if you do not want to rent a car.

Or check into day rates at a hotel - splash in the pool, lunch, shopping, etc.

www.resortpass.com is another option for resorts offering day passes (tip them to store your bags) while you enjoy their facilities.

Have you looked at flights from MIA and PBI in addition to FLL?

Good luck! ;)

Could I also use the luggage valet program to not have to tow them while we tour the town? How is that charged? Per bag? We'll have 3. Might be cheaper to go the rental car route.

If nothing goes wrong, you can absolutely make it. If you have a comfortable backup plan and won't freak out if you miss the flight, then I'd say go for it.

I live 15 - 20 minutes past the airport and I have been home by 7:15 after departing Harmony, walking to my car, paying for parking, driving home, etc. And we were not in the first group. We wait until 6:45 after the initial rush of people are already gone. If you just go down with the first group around 6:00AM - 6:15AM, you can be off the ship very early.

I haven't seen long or difficult security at FLL in a long time. You could be at the airport by 7:00 - 7:15 realistically, which is plenty of time to make an 8:45AM flight. I would get off the ship and just hop in a taxi.

I have gotten off of Harmony and Oasis at Port Everglades and both times been home before 7:20AM, first time we even stopped at a drive thru for breakfast. It seems very reasonable to make your flight providing the ship is on time (usually it is).

I guess it would also depend on how many other ships are in port with you, also, regarding crowding. We disembarked the Royal Princess on a Monday last month, so we were one of only two ships. People were walking off as early as 6:15 to 6:30. I think we docked at 5:00.

We could have easily made an 8:45 Flight, but we weren’t flying, and also, everything ran so smoothly that. But I’ve also been there when things haven’t gone so smoothly.

Usually walkoff goes smoothly and you can beat the crowd and the long waits once off the ship, . But in the event of a significant delay getting back to Port Everglades, it could become a problem.

Yes when it comes to Harmony of the Seas and their other largest of the ships they have an incredible disembarkation process so some people have made a flight at this hour where that would not be possible on most ships/lines.

So is it doable? If all goes well as some have said yes.

If you are one who gets stressed I would not do it.

If you are one who wants a 100% guarantee that you will make the flight, I would not do it.

Can things go wrong? Yes.

Can you make it? Maybe.

You decide.

If it was me since I know things can go wrong, because I do stress, because I don't want to rush around the final day or spend any time worrying I wouldn't do it.

Keith

• 3 months later...

OP here, back from our cruise to happily report that we made it! Kept our bags inside the stateroom (BTW loved not having to waste time the last day pre-packing before dinner), packed while the family was sleeping, went to breakfast at around 5:45 am, got our cruise photos by around 6:20 am, walked out with our bags and breezed through customs, got an Uber at 6:37 and were at the gate by 7:30 am- with plenty of time to make our 8:45 am flight.

OP here, back from our cruise to happily report that we made it! Kept our bags inside the stateroom (BTW loved not having to waste time the last day pre-packing before dinner), packed while the family was sleeping, went to breakfast at around 5:45 am, got our cruise photos by around 6:20 am, walked out with our bags and breezed through customs, got an Uber at 6:37 and were at the gate by 7:30 am- with plenty of time to make our 8:45 am flight.

It is always nice when someone comes back and reports.

I was wondering if you and your family found it stressful?

Would you do it again?

Thanks

It is always nice when someone comes back and reports.

I was wondering if you and your family found it stressful?

Would you do it again?

Thanks

Yes, absolutely we would! It was by far the easiest, smoothest and fastest disembark we’ve ever experienced. Hubby even said he wants to do self disembark every time from now on, even if we don’t have an early flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, absolutely we would! It was by far the easiest, smoothest and fastest disembark we’ve ever experienced. Hubby even said he wants to do self disembark every time from now on, even if we don’t have an early flight.

Welcome to the club! We are local and have no flights to catch, yet we ALWAYS self-disembark because it is just so darn easy and stress free. Once you do it the first time, you are hooked.

Thank you.

Welcome to the club! We are local and have no flights to catch, yet we ALWAYS self-disembark because it is just so darn easy and stress free. Once you do it the first time, you are hooked.

Thank you, and thanks for your input. Your insight gave me the confidence to give this a try :)