QM2 to get to Europe for another TA

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:58 AM.
Lakeway, Texas
544 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We are booked on the Regal Princess in early September from Copenhagen through the British Isles then a Transatlantic back to NYC. We are currently planning to fly First/Business class from Austin to Copenhagen. We got talking the other day about possibly taking the QM2 across to Southampton instead. We would most likely book an inside cabin, trying to keep total expenses about the same. Can anyone share their experience of being in an inside cabin for the crossing? What is typical daytime attire for crossings? Anything we should be considering? We are experienced cruisers with 50+ cruises including one Transatlantic. This seemed like a way to make getting to Europe an experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
50 and Counting
USA
4,884 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
We have never been in an inside cabin but we will be doing are 5th crossing on Queen Mary 2 in December. I can't bring myself to book Transatlantic flights anymore.

QM2 is less expensive in a balcony than a TA flight from pretty much anywhere in the US in Business class.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite Cunard Gold

2013-2017 257 nights at sea and counting
We have been blessed to travel to all 7 continents, and around the world.
Coming up:

7 nights Queen Mary December 8-15, 2019 Transatlantic Eastbound
Time in Europe then Getting to Africa by 12-30-2019- Month of January- Safaris
30 nights Oceania Nautica February 3-March 4, 2020 Cape Town to Singapore
Getting from Singapore to New Zealand- Travel New Zealand and Australia
18 nights RC Ovation Of The Seas April 20, 2020 Sydney to Honolulu
Waiting for Ovation schedule- Honolulu to North America

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
Lancashier
344 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by lhsail
We are booked on the Regal Princess in early September from Copenhagen through the British Isles then a Transatlantic back to NYC. We are currently planning to fly First/Business class from Austin to Copenhagen. We got talking the other day about possibly taking the QM2 across to Southampton instead. We would most likely book an inside cabin, trying to keep total expenses about the same. Can anyone share their experience of being in an inside cabin for the crossing? What is typical daytime attire for crossings? Anything we should be considering? We are experienced cruisers with 50+ cruises including one Transatlantic. This seemed like a way to make getting to Europe an experience.
My wife and I have done 4 round transatlantic crossings, each tine in a inside cabin, no problems what so ever. My T/A said why pay for a balcony when all you see is water? When ever you sail the Atlantic, who knows what weather you will get, the money you save on a inside cabin will go towards your next cruise. What ever cabin you chose, it will be a wonderful experience I envy you.😀😀
Kansas City
522 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
We got talking the other day about possibly taking the QM2 across to Southampton instead. We would most likely book an inside cabin, trying to keep total expenses about the same. Can anyone share their experience of being in an inside cabin for the crossing?
I suggust you ask your TA to check out the prices for obstructed balcony cabins (on deck 8). While they probably more expensive than inside cabins, they are considerably cheaper than a regular balcony cabins because some or most of the view is blocked by lifeboats. However, unlike an inside cabin, you can always (weather permitting) open the balcony door and step outside to get some fresh air. My DW feels that inside cabins are too claustrophobic for her and wants sunlight/daylight coming through the windows during the daytime hours. Another plus is they are all located mid-ship which tends to minimize the motion in rough seas.
Lakeway, Texas
544 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by BobBranst
I suggust you ask your TA to check out the prices for obstructed balcony cabins (on deck 8). While they probably more expensive than inside cabins, they are considerably cheaper than a regular balcony cabins because some or most of the view is blocked by lifeboats. However, unlike an inside cabin, you can always (weather permitting) open the balcony door and step outside to get some fresh air. My DW feels that inside cabins are too claustrophobic for her and wants sunlight/daylight coming through the windows during the daytime hours. Another plus is they are all located mid-ship which tends to minimize the motion in rough seas.
Thank you for the suggestion. We have a barely obstructed balcony on the Regal Princess and I'm just fine with it. I looked at oceanview on the deck plans, but they all seem to be very forward on the ship. I'll add that option to the number crunching.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
50 and Counting
Central Maryland
19,418 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
QM2 has exceedingly generous public spaces both inside the ship and outside. While an obstructed balcony was dirt cheap and worked for me on my next crossing, I've done it many times in an inside and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I've done 8 QM2 crossings in conjunction with transatlantics on other ships with 2 more booked so I highly recommend it.

Roy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Index to active Crystal Roll Calls
Limited View Cabins

Future cruises:

11/10/18 Grandeur of the Seas Southern Caribbean
1/4/19 Prinsendam Grand South America
4/21/19 Nieuw Statendam Transatlantic>>>5/9/19 QV Kiel-Southampton>>5/12/19 QM2 Brugges-Gurernsey-New York
10/18/19 QM2 NY-Southampton>>Bach Rhine>>Serenity Barcelona-Lisbon-Ft. Lauderdale
1/22/20 Crystal Serenity LA-Sydney>>>3/6/20 QM2 Sydney-New York
Hamburg
438 Posts
Joined May 2013
We have done 6 TA crossings on QM2, 5 of them where inside.
We‘d chose inside again without hesitation, depending on the upcharge for a balcony.

Over the day, you can basically wear anything that you like, but no swimwear in restaurants.
Lakeway, Texas
544 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Thanks to all for your insight. We are placing a deposit today, going with a minimal inside guarantee. We're in it for the adventure, so here we go.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
50 and Counting
Vale of Glamorgan
4,734 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Thanks to all for your insight. We are placing a deposit today, going with a minimal inside guarantee. We're in it for the adventure, so here we go.
I hope it turns out to be the right decision, please come back and let us know what you thought.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Lakeway, Texas
544 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by Host Hattie
I hope it turns out to be the right decision, please come back and let us know what you thought.
After reading all the posts about unsuccessful guarantee bookings with Cunard, we grabbed a cabin on Deck 13, will accept upgrades. Looks very quiet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
50 and Counting
Oakland, CA USA
2,314 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
lhsail: You are planing what we've done several times and will continue to do: Avoiding TA flights by taking a ship, definitely the QM2 when it fits the itinerary. This spring we are on the Royal Princess to LeHave and are on HAL returning Rotterdam to Boston.

Never sailed in an inside cabin, but I've checked them out. Small, but well-designed to be adequately comfortable. One friend commented that she had to set her alarm since there was no sun to wake her up and she didn't want to sleep through the day missing all the activities on board!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 59 Days
Crystal: 38 Days
Princess: 28 Days
Oceania: 14 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
53 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Inside cabin or balcony? It depends upon how much time you like to spend in your cabin.
Personally I’d rather do one trip with a balcony than two in an inside cabin, having tried them both.
Dallas
89 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
We have taken 2 crossings. One, balcony. One, Inside. We loved the inside. Nice and quiet, perfect for afternoon nap We plan on booking an inside in 2019 corssing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark & Clay

Queen Mary 2 05/2017
Coral Princess 05/2015
Queen Mary 2 05/2012