Sip n Sail and the Upgrade Fairy

PEZdudesWife

We have friends that are booked on a cruise with us to the Panama Canal in 2020. We all booked under the Sip n Sail promotion. Our friends have noted that they are open to an upgrade if it comes available. Does Princess cancel the existing booking and rebook when upgrading? If so, would this cause them to lose the Sip n Sale offer?

We have friends that are booked on a cruise with us to the Panama Canal in 2020. We all booked under the Sip n Sail promotion. Our friends have noted that they are open to an upgrade if it comes available. Does Princess cancel the existing booking and rebook when upgrading? If so, would this cause them to lose the Sip n Sale offer?

If you receive a complimentary upgrade or if you take advantage of an upsell, then you keep all of the benefits of your original booking.

If you change to a different category without being offered an upgrade or an upsell, then you would rebook at the price and benefits available when you make the change, and you would lose any benefits with your original booking.

Not if they get the upgrade gratis which does not happen often these days. They try to upgrade with an offer for $$$. In the case of paying for the upgrade offer, I am not sure what will happen with the S'n'S but make sure at the time if they want to take it that the S'n'S will follow along. My guess is it will. As for the upgrade in general, it happens sometimes but certainly not often.

Thank you for the quick replies. They know they only have a slim chance of getting an offer but we just wanted to be sure the wouldn't lose their current promotion. My husband and I always mark no upgrade because we like to choose our own room location. I have read too many posts where opinions vary on what is actually an upgrade.:)

I just looked at a cruise that has SNS...

the language stated that whatever promotion you booked under, SNS for balcony or higher would be honored for an UPSELL...balcony to deluxe balcony, mini suite, etc

but NOT for an upsell from OV - no SNS for that - to balcony or above

if that makes sense...:cool:

My experience has been that when you get an upgrade, your benefit package stays with what you booked unless the offer says otherwise. This makes total sense on SAS packages. If you booked an oceanview cabin using a future cruise certificate, you don't qualify for SAS and your OBC will stay at $25 for a 7-10 night cruise...because your BOOKING was in oceanview. You got the upgrade free, so the financial benefits remained per the booked package. The one place I'm aware of a difference is that if your package included gratuities and you were upgraded to a mini or balcony, you'd get those higher gratuities paid.

For an upsell, things become a little more subject to debate--one could argue that since you are now paying for the better cabin, you should get all the associated perks. Princess has made this clear in the fine print of the SAS offer where they say that if your original booking did not include SAS (because you were not in at least a balcony,) the upsell will not include it.

On the other hand, if you took an upsell from a balcony to a club class mini, one would expect, and get, all the club class perks.

Bottom line, you don't LOSE perks with an upsell offer. I've never seen an upsell that didn't keep your existing perks intact. The only question is whether you might gain perks associated with the better cabin...and that is subject to the fine print.

This is the language from an upsell offer that I received 3 weeks ago: "If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer."

This is the language from an upsell offer that I received 3 weeks ago: "If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer."

Interesting. From what they've told me, it's changed with the Sip n' Sail promotion. If they pay for an upsell, the Sip n' Sail will fall off. I need to ask them to send me that blurb in writing next time.

This makes total sense.

The concept that you would lose a perk because you accept an upsell makes no sense at all.

the language stated that whatever promotion you booked under, SNS for balcony or higher would be honored for an UPSELL...balcony to deluxe balcony, mini suite, etc

Yes, SnS is not available in and OV anytime we have booked.

Same language in an upsell offer I received yesterday.

We took the up sell offer yesterday from a Mini Suite to an Owners Suite cabin. The Sip n Sail did not change nor did anything we had with the Mini Suite. There was an additional Balcony breakfast that came with the offer.

We are excited to have breakfast in Sabatinis during the cruise along with some other amenities that come with a suite.

We took the up sell offer yesterday from a Mini Suite to an Owners Suite cabin. The Sip n Sail did not change nor did anything we had with the Mini Suite. There was an additional Balcony breakfast that came with the offer.

We are excited to have breakfast in Sabatinis during the cruise along with some other amenities that come with a suite.

Good to hear. That's the way it's always been so I questioned the rep and she read it twice. We were both surprised. I called back about an hour later and spoke with a supervisor who read the same thing and said it was a new policy brought in with the S&S. I guess some things never change with misinformation they spew.

Sadly, it makes perfect sense. If your original cabin class had the Sip and Sail you get to keep it. If your original cabin class was not eligible for the Sip and Sail you don't get it with an upsell.