Costa Maya Beaches

... As an aside, Almaplena did not have the sea grass and cloudy water issues that some complain about at Maya Chan.

At Maya Chan they note in their emails that the beach is "natural" and not a pristine sandy beach. They had someone cleaing the seaweed constantly, but they could not keep up.

That was probably better than our long bumpy ride to Maya Chan.

....a road that will not likely be soon improved as the cruise lines lobby to keep it that way as it is part of the route used by the cruise line's sponsored 4x4 tour. (Per the good folks at Maya Chan).

At Maya Chan they note in their emails that the beach is "natural" and not a pristine sandy beach. They had someone cleaing the seaweed constantly, but they could not keep up.

But this remains IMO one of the nicest places at Costa Maya. Designed and run very well with good food, staff attention, and drinks - for a very reasonable price.

... But this remains IMO one of the nicest places at Costa Maya. Designed and run very well with good food, staff attention, and drinks - for a very reasonable price.

Totally agree, we would jump a the chance to go to Maya Chan again.

Our price was $65 per person for all inclusive lunch and drinks. Taxi fare to and from the resort is also included. As an aside, Almaplena did not have the sea grass and cloudy water issues that some complain about at Maya Chan.

There is a difference between sea grass and seaweed. The beach is “ natural” because it is a protected area and only dead Sea grass can be cleared.

Are you saying seaweed is a problem again at Maya Chan? I thought the sargassum problem had diminished?

There is a difference between sea grass and seaweed. The beach is “ natural” because it is a protected area and only dead Sea grass can be cleared.

Are you saying seaweed is a problem again at Maya Chan? I thought the sargassum problem had diminished?

I really don't know if the vegetation was seaweed, sea grass, or something else. I only recall that there was someone constantly raking something green on the beach.

Maya Chan was worth every penny and I'd go back tomorrow if offered! The food was the best we had all week, the service was impeccable and the staff was wonderful! (Yes, the road is terrible but it really just is part of the experience).

See post 16.

Thanks! My apologies - my internet, or CC,was playing up yesterday and I seem to have missed several posts yesterday that are there today.

That was the route I had heard previously, so although it is further, there is not much difference time wise.

Did your taxi take you along the highway and cut across to Almaplena or did it take you the long way along the bumpy road passed Maya Chan?

I don’t think we passed maya Chan. We took one long highway then took a left down what looked ok for a few miles but the last few miles, it wasn’t really a road. I’m not sure a normal small car could make it because the huge holes were full of water from recent rains. The taxi driver was skilled. He knew the bumps and depth and did a great job. I promise it will be worth it once you arrive.. 85f753de116b4d2a58a1cc6a54baef45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t think we passed maya Chan. We took one long highway then took a left down what looked ok for a few miles but the last few miles, it wasn’t really a road. I’m not sure a normal small car could make it because the huge holes were full of water from recent rains. The taxi driver was skilled. He knew the bumps and depth and did a great job. I promise it will be worth it once you arrive.. 85f753de116b4d2a58a1cc6a54baef45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! If you had continued north along the bumpy road you would have reached Maya Chan! It is usually reached from the opposite direction. Unfortunately we don’t get to do itineraries that include Costa Maya very often but I will certainly put Almaplena on my “to do” list!

I can vouch for the food at Maya Chan being very good. However, the road to Maya Chan is an adventure itself, and I would not want to go any farther on that road.

100% agree, we were there in October for the first time and loved it. I like it because it's small with only a small number of people allowed. The owners and staff go way out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

Does anyone know.... if we do the water park in the morning, can we do a beach in the afternoon? Which one might you suggest as close to water Park?

The whole of the malecon is 5 minutes from the water park. Read this forum to get an idea of which beach bar you might like, or just take a taxi there and walk until you find somewhere that feels right to you.

El Tropicante. Google it. Had a great time there. Owner and staff was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Absolute a great day here. Do get in contact with Steve as if there are many ships in port you will need a reservation.

Very attentive food and bar service with decent pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Steve was easy to contact with. We are going on a morning ruins tour when in Costa Maya in April and I thought well let's go to the beach in the afternoon even though it will only be 2 hours or so. He said he would try to get a spot reserved for us and answered my questions in a timely manner. Looking forward to it.

We are sailing on Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas the week before Christmas. I have read the amazing reviews for Maya Chan that mention the problem of seaweed in the water. Do all of the beaches in Costa Maya have a problem with seaweed?

Also, are there any nice public beaches? Or do we need to book an all-inclusive resort in order to have a nice beach day?

Our trip to Costa Maya certainly did involve seaweed, but it wasn't a distraction for us. It is probably worth noting that we were in a large groups that featured everyone from retirees to children, so our needs may well have been different. However, the beach was still fine and the service was amazing. Really, the only thing we couldn't have done that day was snorkel-- the water was too cloudy for that.

We went to Costa Maya early Nov and had booked Maya Chan. When we met the representative she gave us a letter that since the recent rains the water was reddish from the tannins from the mangroves. We had the choice of going or not and receiving a full refund. We chose not to go and both our deposit and final payment were refunded the next day. Excellent customer service, we look forward to going there the next time we visit CM.

We are on Freedom that week. We chose Maya Chan because it is out of the way. You have a reserved spot, so you don't have to worry about crowds. Food and drink are included. I believe there will be fewer people there trying to sell things as well, but since I haven't been here before I can't really speak on that topic. We were warned about possible sea grass, but we also read several reviews about how hard the staff worked to rake it out of the way. There were so many great reviews that we are willing to go for this option and take a chance with the sea grass. No matter what you decide I hope you have a great trip!