Can we do just the Amalfi Coast?

Beth and Bailey

Years ago I did a cruise and we had a tour that included Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast, stopping in one of the 3, not sure which, Positano, Ravelo or Sorrento, but just for a short time. 10 minutes..... and then our guide had arranged a lunch for us.

Now heading back with my adult daughter and I'd prefer NOT to do Pompeii again, but spend more time on the coast.

Suggestions on how to do this from the Symphony of the Seas port.

Thanks so much for any guidance

Beth

Just FYI, ship tours cannot stop in some of the smaller Amalfi coast towns -- like Positano, for example. If you really want to spend the day doing just the Amalfi coast, take a private tour.

Thanks, yes I know not to do the ships tours. Am I allowed to ask you for a recommendation?

Thanks, yes I know not to do the ships tours. Am I allowed to ask you for a recommendation?

You are allowed to ask and I'm sure others will share their experiences and recommendations. Despite being in the area numerous times, the Amalfi Coast isn't really my thing, and I've never used a private tour to do it. I've done bits and pieces of it on my own -- last May I did part of the drive and went to Ravello because I only had a part of a day in Salerno and had already been to Paestum twice.

Just doesn't do much for me. Now Roman ruins, that's a different story.....

Yes, it is possible with a private tour (car/driver) or with a rental car (if you are comfortable driving and trying to park in Italy). But if the Amalfi Coast is calling out to you, the best option is to go there for several days (or a week) on your own. Spending a few days and nights on the coast is a completely different experience then the snapshot you can get from a port day. We like to stay in the small village of Praino, but our DD prefers Ravello. And then there is Positano which is an expensive option but a challenge for those with a car trying to deal with the parking situation.

Many tour groups stay in Sorrento (which is not even on the Amalfi Coast) as a base...but we find that staying in Sorrento destroys most of the charm that you find by staying on the Coast.

Hank

.. from the Symphony of the Seas port.

Which one is this?

From Salerno it is very easy to visit the Amalfi Coast on your own by boat and/or bus.

From Sorrento it is more tricky but possible by bus, too.

From Naples the combination train to Sorrento and bus would work but is not to recommended for just one day in port.

Just to remember: Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast.

A private car is certainly the most comfortable Option.

I just looked at SofS Europe itineraries for this summer and it looks like for Naples they tender off Capri. Can this be right? In their lists of ports the actual ports are in parentheses following the marketable name, as in Rome (Civitavecchia) and they list Naples (Capri).

If that is the case I think you're out of luck for the Amalfi Coast. By the time you tender in and get a ferry to Positano or Amalfi you wouldn't have a lot of time before needing to get back, and there are fairly limited crossing times that may not work with your port hours.

I just looked at SofS Europe itineraries for this summer and it looks like for Naples they tender off Capri. Can this be right? In their lists of ports the actual ports are in parentheses following the marketable name, as in Rome (Civitavecchia) and they list Naples (Capri).

I noticed that too but I think RCL is inconsistent on how they indicate port versus destination. I looked on the RCL boards and someone did a live report on the very same itinerary a couple of weeks ago -- they docked in Naples.

Spending a few days and nights on the coast is a completely different experience then the snapshot you can get from a port day.

Hank

Couldn't agree more. We had three days in Positano pre cruise and it was fantastic. Could never be replicated on a cruise.

How long ago since you were in Positano in summer? We were there on Sunday by ferry from Amalfi where the Azamara Quest was anchored. It was wall to wall people. A very unpleasant experience. We bought a gelato, had a very quick walk and got back on the ferry! We thought it was a gorgeous place utterly ruined by tourism (including us too, I guess).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How long ago since you were in Positano in summer? We were there on Sunday by ferry from Amalfi where the Azamara Quest was anchored. It was wall to wall people. A very unpleasant experience. We bought a gelato, had a very quick walk and got back on the ferry! We thought it was a gorgeous place utterly ruined by tourism (including us too, I guess).

Her sailing date is September 30th so it won’t be the height of Summer. I was there 2 years ago. Also not in summer.

This is the nature of most major tourist sites and places :(. We could say the same about Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice, etc. If one can travel in the shoulder season then things are somewhat better. But for us the ideal situation is to spend several days or weeks in an area which gives us the ability to explore places at length and also visit in the late afternoon and evening when most of the "day trippers" are gone. One of our favorite spots in Italy is San Gimignano. But during the daytime we often avoid the place because it is packed with "day trippers." But in the evening, with the crowds gone, it becomes a magical place. And it is the same with Positano. Stroll around the streets at 8pm and you will want to return again and again :).

Hank

We are scheduled on a Med cruise and I really want to see the Amalfi coast. Must admit that it's frustrating to hear that these sites would be better on a multiple day trip - I mean really that's true of nearly every cruise port in the Mediterranean. But we have what we have, and that's one day.

We are scheduled on a Med cruise and I really want to see the Amalfi coast. Must admit that it's frustrating to hear that these sites would be better on a multiple day trip - I mean really that's true of nearly every cruise port in the Mediterranean. But we have what we have, and that's one day.

Frustrating? Nah. Its all great fun whether it be a few hours, a day, or even a week :). When we started cruising in the Med (about 35 years ago) it was all new to us and wonderful. Now, after decades of extensive travel (mostly on our own) places like the Amalfi Coast still make us smile :). It never gets old and its those first few cruises to the Med that gave us the incentive to return to Europe for lengthy driving vacations. So look at your cruise as a start....:).

Hank

I'm so sorry I've not acknowledged the great suggestions. We have just moved to Kentucky from Los Angeles and have been working on a complete home remodel. Up at 5 and non-stop until 7 and 8PM. Our plans for this cruise were made long before our decision to move and I didn't want to cancel and disappoint my daughter whose never been to Europe. I'm just so overwhelmed with this house and barely have a minute to review these boards. My humble apologies. I promise to take some time. I loved the drive along the coast when I was there before and prefer not to go back to the Vatican as I've been before and prefer the outdoors. So many decisions.

You can easily customize a tour with a private operator, like the one we have used frequently, the wonderful Rome in Limo. You don't have to visit Pompeii.

I highly recommend Romeinlimo great service