Ports with amentities

Climes5

I will be visiting the 6 ports below in November and would like to know if any of these ports offer shopping/beaching/sites and restaurants within walking. I prefer not to go on an excursion if I can walk locally to some amenities.

Having said that, because beaching is a top priority even if there is a local beach within walking of the port, I would love to also know if there is a specific "must visit" beach on any of the 6 islands below.

Thanks in advance!!!

• CHARLOTTE AMALIE, ST. THOMAS
  • ST. CROIX, U.S.V.I.
  • ST. JOHNS, ANTIGUA
  • BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS
  • CASTRIES, ST. LUCIA
  • PHILIPSBURG, ST. MAARTEN

There are lots of options for researching ports. One is right here on Cruise Critic, in the Ports of Call board, in the Caribbean section. You can skim other posts or ask your own questions about specific ports.

Another option is to use one of the websites that are specifically designed to inform people about what's available in almost all cruise ports. There will be maps, points of interest, information about currency, much more. Here are links to 2 of them:

http://cruiseportwiki.com/

http://www.tomsportguides.com/

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, ST. THOMAS - I remember shops at the pier and a shuttle bus into town, but there are two different piers.

• ST. CROIX, U.S.V.I. - Haven't been there.
  • ST. JOHNS, ANTIGUA - Shopping at the pier, town not too great. You might want to go to a beach.
  • BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS - Nice small town in walking distance from pier. Pier also has shopping.
  • CASTRIES, ST. LUCIA - Funky little town, go inside church! Straw market.
  • PHILIPSBURG, ST. MAARTEN - I was there before the last hurricane. Nice little town in walking distance, but there is also a ferry. I bought my best bathing suits in town.

As you can see, I am not a beach person. Most of my Caribbean visits were on cruises further away, on the way to or back from another destination.

I will be visiting the 6 ports below in November and would like to know if any of these ports offer shopping/beaching/sites and restaurants within walking. I prefer not to go on an excursion if I can walk locally to some amenities.

Having said that, because beaching is a top priority even if there is a local beach within walking of the port, I would love to also know if there is a specific "must visit" beach on any of the 6 islands below.

Thanks in advance!!!

• CHARLOTTE AMALIE, ST. THOMAS
  • ST. CROIX, U.S.V.I.
  • ST. JOHNS, ANTIGUA
  • BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS
  • CASTRIES, ST. LUCIA
  • PHILIPSBURG, ST. MAARTEN

Went to a cool beach bar on st croix a few blocks from port

Research is key....so either google your ports or get a Caribbean guidebook. The guidebook is probably the most concise way to research. Having folks say what THEY did might not be what you want to do. Figure that out on your own. Then, if you need suggestions on HOW to do what interests YOU...come back and ask!