First cruise - question on excursions.

Arnie70

Hi, we doing our 1st cruise in March to the Caribbean, we are travelling in 2 couples but on separate bookings. If we book excursions through the cruise personaliser is it possible to book for both couples at the same time, if it isn't possible & we have to book separate does that mean we may end up on separate tour buses etc?

Thanks!

I think you'll have to book separately. Normally the tour busses for a particular excursion are filled up on a "first come, first served basis" rather than pre-allocated. So if you turn up as a group at where the busses are parked you should be fine.

Hi, we doing our 1st cruise in March to the Caribbean, we are travelling in 2 couples but on separate bookings. If we book excursions through the cruise personaliser is it possible to book for both couples at the same time, if it isn't possible & we have to book separate does that mean we may end up on separate tour buses etc?

Thanks!

Busses are not pre-allocated.

The instructions given in the daily programme say (I'm paraphrasing here) if you wish to travel as a group, go as a group to the meeting place (usually on shore).

If you present yourself as a group to the person collecting the tickets (usually at the bus door) you will all get on the same bus.

Personally I would never pay for any of the ships excursions, much better value to be had doing it yourself and with little research or effort you will save yourselves hundreds of dollars as a party of four over two weeks taking your own trips.

I agree with ozysdad, the Caribbean is so easy for DIY trips. There are buses waiting in every port and will take you on trips round the islands. Usually 20 dollars each. The drivers are local and very knowledgeable, they are also very reliable getting you back to the ship in plenty of time

As a first time cruiser I would stick to ships excursions, especially in the Caribbean The peace of mind knowing you will get back to the ship on time, and that the vehicles and guides have been vetted, is well worth the extra cost.

If anything does go wrong P&O will be responsible for sorting it out, if you go independently you may find its up to you.

More experienced cruisers may feel comfortable doing independent tours, but as first timers I would stick to ships tours.

And yes, the ship will sail without you if you are late.

Edited by FangedRose

We were in the Caribbean last November. We booked all our own trips on arrival. Basically when you get off the ship you will be met by taxi drivers or minibus drivers offering tours. At the end they will drop you off at a beach if you wish and pick you up later. You pay at the end when you arrive back at the ship. Have a great holiday.

I believe Cosol was killed recently. Don’t know whether or not his tours continue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes they are. We are provisionally booked in for March 2020!!!! I know it's a long way ahead but so many people recommend them I was worried about not being able to get a booking, pay on return to the ship, quoted $75 for the day.

I think you'll have to book separately. Normally the tour busses for a particular excursion are filled up on a "first come, first served basis" rather than pre-allocated. So if you turn up as a group at where the busses are parked you should be fine.

Correct, but there are multiple departure time options for many of the tours. Both couples will need to book the same time, then what you describe works fine.

Correct, but there are multiple departure time options for many of the tours. Both couples will need to book the same time, then what you describe works fine.

Occasionally there are morning excursions and afternoon excursions. And of course they will have to decide which.

Occasionally there are morning excursions and afternoon excursions. And of course they will have to decide which.

That’s the point I’m making. There can even be multiple morning and multiple afternoon departure times. Both couples need to be booked on exactly the same time slot to be able to travel together.

That’s the point I’m making. There can even be multiple morning and multiple afternoon departure times. Both couples need to be booked on exactly the same time slot to be able to travel together.

Never known multiple departure times. Always do P&O excursions, booked online prior to departure. Never been offered a choice of times apart from am or pm. Even on Britannia.

Never known multiple departure times. Always do P&O excursions, booked online prior to departure. Never been offered a choice of times apart from am or pm. Even on Britannia.

Well I’m not making it up! It’s not for every excursion on every cruise, but we book the day they are released and have often had a choice of departure times for the most popular tours.

Here are 3 examples (there are more) from our upcoming cruise on Aurora where there are multiple morning departure times;

1) 0830 & 0900

2) 1000 & 1130

3) 0845 & 1045 & 1245

Couples wishing to travel together would both need to book the exact same time.

Here are 3 examples (there are more) from our upcoming cruise on Aurora where there are multiple morning departure times;

1) 0830 & 0900

2) 1000 & 1130

3) 0845 & 1045 & 1245

Couples wishing to travel together would both need to book the exact same time.

In that case yes, they would have to book the same time.

Looking through the booklet for my next cruise, (previously booked online before receiving it) only one time slot available for each tour. Never known it different (apart from am and pm).

In that case yes, they would have to book the same time.

Looking through the booklet for my next cruise, (previously booked online before receiving it) only one time slot available for each tour. Never known it different (apart from am and pm).

We've had several start times on lots of excursions. On our last cruise some were running all day. It just depends on how interesting the ports are.

We've had several start times on lots of excursions. On our last cruise some were running all day. It just depends on how interesting the ports are.

Different tours have different start times.

I've never known the same tour have several different start times.