Aft Facing Cabins on Explorer of the Seas.

A&L_Ont

Hi follow CCers. I have a few questions about the aft facing cabins on Explorer, specifically the 2 bedroom Grand Suites. We are considering booking one for Alaska next year.

1. Do they have an over hang, another words if it is raining can you stay dry on your balcony?
  2. Was there much engine noise/vibration?
  3. Was there much soot from the stacks?
  4. Was your view blocked by the structural framing of the ship?
  5. Is deck 8 or 9 better if you are choosing this cabin? I do see that deck 9 is on the same level as the concierge club.
  6. Separate of the cabin, do they hold a suite breakfast in either Chops or Giovanni's?

If you can think of any other pieces of information or tips please let me know.

Edited by A&L_Ont

All aft facing staterooms in Voyager/Freedom class have some ship superstructure in the view.

Our experience has been that there is some portion of the balcony that is covered. We've seen the JS staterooms on deck 10 several times and those have a large area totally covered.

There is some overhang, so in bad weather you have protection. The other nice thing is when the ship is moving there is not a lot of wind, so it's comfortable. Noise and soot are not an issue, and I don't mind the view being blocked. You get used to it quickly. I don't think the floor you are on matter in regards to the lounge. Just pop up or down the stairs ...no biggie.

Hi follow CCers. I have a few questions about the aft facing cabins on Explorer, specifically the 2 bedroom Grand Suites. We are considering booking one for Alaska next year.

1. Do they have an over hang, another words if it is raining can you stay dry on your balcony?
  2. Was there much engine noise/vibration?
  3. Was there much soot from the stacks?
  4. Was your view blocked by the structural framing of the ship?
  5. Is deck 8 or 9 better if you are choosing this cabin? I do see that deck 9 is on the same level as the concierge club.
  6. Separate of the cabin, do they hold a suite breakfast in either Chops or Giovanni's?

If you can think of any other pieces of information or tips please let me know.

As I recall, the former RFS on Deck 8 (but this was on Mariner, which has a different hull structure, at least along the sides) has no overhang, so no protection from the elements above. We visited one, but didn't stay in it, so I can't answer 3-4.

I would pick Deck 9 - the lower you go, the more obstruction you have from the ship's structure.

Explorer offers breakfast to suites and Pinnacles in Chops - very nice. Giovanni's has no windows (it was created from part of the old disco), so that would be an odd way to start the day, lol.

Radiance is the way to see Alaska, but Bella thinks the Flowrider is calling you. 😁

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I actually did some looking as you said this and I found a southbound and there is an aft 2 bedroom OS as well as the RS available.:hearteyes: I have already emailed my TA and I'm off to see her tomorrow morning.

I didn't realize that Radiance had such a revitalization a few years ago until tonight. Except for no flow rider, she has practically all the Oasis Class restaurants except JR, 150 CP, and Sorrento's - which we know is awful anyway. As for the flow rider I can survive. ;)

We sailed round trip from Vancouver on Serenade around 11 years ago and nine months later Owen arrived.:D

I actually did some looking as you said this and I found a southbound and there is an aft 2 bedroom OS as well as the RS available.:hearteyes: I have already emailed my TA and I'm off to see her tomorrow morning.

I didn't realize that Radiance had such a revitalization a few years ago until tonight. Except for no flow rider, she has practically all the Oasis Class restaurants except JR, 150 CP, and Sorrento's - which we know is awful anyway. As for the flow rider I can survive. ;)

We sailed round trip from Vancouver on Serenade around 11 years ago and nine months later Owen arrived.:D

You can get the crappy pizza in the Park Cafe, though. ;)

I actually did some looking as you said this and I found a southbound and there is an aft 2 bedroom OS as well as the RS available.[emoji813]eyes: I have already emailed my TA and I'm off to see her tomorrow morning.

You can get lost in the RS. The balcony holds about 30 people. Steam shower was my favorite feature

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I am violating for my trip next year booking ships with flowrider rules to visit Alaska, we are booked on the Radiance, which we sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii in 2001 right after 911.... great cruise.

Why don't you forego the Explorer and go with us on the Radiance, then you can tell the kids you are going to Europe to ride the Symphony on the TA, and you will see them in a few weeks. Study hard and we will hug you in a couple of weeks. One port, and the rest is sea days when the kids are in school and two flowriders. 2018 could be epic...

JC