Falmouth, Jamaica

TandK0826

Any suggestions on what to do here besides Dunn's River Falls? Everyone I spoke with that has been there suggests to stay on the boat. Not much to see and do. Our first time in Jamaica and wanted to see or do something. It will be me, my husband and 6 and 11 year old. Any suggestions would be great!!! Going next month. Only 44 days to go! YAY!!!!

This is one place you'll want to do a ship excursion in my opinion. We usually do private excursions but not here. We went to Red Stripe beach through the ship with the grandkids twice. They provided the bus transportation. About 15 minutes from the ship and return transportation about every 1/2 hour. Bamboo beach sounds similar, just a different beach. Really enjoyed the plantation tour, too. Not sure the kids would be impressed though. Agree the river tubing sounds like fun although I've never done it.

This is one place you'll want to do a ship excursion in my opinion. We usually do private excursions but not here. We went to Red Stripe beach through the ship with the grandkids twice. They provided the bus transportation. About 15 minutes from the ship and return transportation about every 1/2 hour. Bamboo beach sounds similar, just a different beach. Really enjoyed the plantation tour, too. Not sure the kids would be impressed though. Agree the river tubing sounds like fun although I've never done it.

Did you do this through NCL? I’ve read that Royal Caribbean owns Red Stripe beach, and that it’s only open when RCI is in port. I also read you can’t get a taxi to it for the above reasons.

We looked at the Bamboo Beach excursion sponsored through NCL but I read on TripAdvisor that it's over an hour each way by bus - and since we have two small children (3 and 1) that won't work for us. We only considered NCL excursions at this port, again just because of our small kids and what we've read, and since we were planning on three sea days with our old itinerary, we are using this day to relax on ship and possibly check out the pool at Margaritaville within the port area. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for all the replies. Appreciate it. I know I said not Dunn's River Fall just because I figured that is the go to excursion and so busy but I may reconsider. Is it really fun to do? The more I am looking at it I think the kids would really like that. We are already going to the beach in Great Stirrup Cay so I am looking for something else other than that.

We looked at the Bamboo Beach excursion sponsored through NCL but I read on TripAdvisor that it's over an hour each way by bus - and since we have two small children (3 and 1) that won't work for us. We only considered NCL excursions at this port, again just because of our small kids and what we've read, and since we were planning on three sea days with our old itinerary, we are using this day to relax on ship and possibly check out the pool at Margaritaville within the port area. Good luck!

Oh I seen that Margarittaville at the port! That did look pretty neat. I was wondering about the pool though. Can you just go right up and swim there??

Oh I seen that Margarittaville at the port! That did look pretty neat. I was wondering about the pool though. Can you just go right up and swim there??

From what I've read yes, it's inside Margaritaville but pretty sure there aren't purchase requirements. Not completely positive as we haven't been, yet. If we do go, I figured we would get a few drinks and probably lunch. There's a bunch of info on TripAdvisor and in the Jamaica forum here, as well.

On our Spring Break cruise last March I booked day passes to an all inclusive resort through Resort for a Day. It included R/T transportation. We chose the Hilton Rose Hall and had a fantastic day. I traveled with my teenage daughters and one of their friends. I relaxed while the girls enjoyed the beach, pool and lazy river. All food and drinks were included and there were a variety of places to eat at the resort.

On our Spring Break cruise last March I booked day passes to an all inclusive resort through Resort for a Day. It included R/T transportation. We chose the Hilton Rose Hall and had a fantastic day. I traveled with my teenage daughters and one of their friends. I relaxed while the girls enjoyed the beach, pool and lazy river. All food and drinks were included and there were a variety of places to eat at the resort.

Oh wow! Maybe I will look into that. Thank you!

Regarding Red Stripe beach, yes it was with Royal Caribbean. Didn't realize it was exclusive to RCCL. Looks like Bamboo beach is over by Dunn River Falls so a longer bus ride. We went to Dunn River Falls when we cruised on another cruise line but did not hike the falls. We walked the stairs along side the falls. Saw lots of people falling and slipping on the rocks and didn't want to spend the rest of our vacation injured. But I think our age had some influence on that. Late 50s at the time. Not sure it would be worth the hour each way bus ride. The vendors around the Falls are pretty aggressive so I didn't like that aspect either.

I seem to remember you could buy shuttle service to Montego Bay inside the port area. Not sure of all the details. Maybe someone else has done this or has more information. Also I seem to remember seeing a pirate ship in the bay but don't know if this was exclusive to RCCL either or if it is still available. To me exploring the port area and then spending the day on the ship doesn't sound all bad to me especially if you will have other beach stops.

I agree most survive just fine .We were not willing to take the risk as I stated in my post. Just wanted her to be aware that the rocks are slippery and injury was something to consider, especially with a 6 year old. My young grandkids always seem to be more prone to slipping and falling.

Oh wow! Maybe I will look into that. Thank you!

Check their website out. I believe they even added a few new resorts to the list. Our upcoming Epic Spring

Break cruise has changed from an eastern to a western itinerary so I will probably book day passes again since Falmouth is a one of our ports again. May try a different resort since I'm traveling with the same 3 teens.

Any suggestions on what to do here besides Dunn's River Falls? Everyone I spoke with that has been there suggests to stay on the boat. Not much to see and do. Our first time in Jamaica and wanted to see or do something. It will be me, my husband and 6 and 11 year old. Any suggestions would be great!!! Going next month. Only 44 days to go! YAY!!!!

The Jamaican Bobsled

We did Dunn’s river falls a few cruises ago when our port was Ocho Rios and had a blast! We purchased water shoes when we got there which cured the slippery rock issue and it was well worth it. This time I think we are horseback riding still have a bit more research to do...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you decide to do Dunn’s Falls, make sure you have good, sturdy beach shoes that won’t slip off your feet. Yes, this is the voice of experience. I am sure that my trip (I use the term literally) provided much amusement for the sensible people walking on the sides of the falls.

Only one excursion total (that one in Aruba) is listed for the Jade 11-27 sailing.

Do you think they will come up with some...such as in Jamaica where I'd really like to follow the poster's advice and use a ship's excursion...or could the capacity be reached for the local providers?

Thousands and thousands of people including us and more than once have done the trip up Dunns River Falls WITHOUT ANY INJURIES.

Yes, this!

I have climbed the falls 3 times, was never injured and had a blast.

We wore tennis shoes & aqua socks which I believe they recommend for a better grip.

I would recommend it if you have never done it; with a guide helping, you will be safe and have fun.