Crazy world, distrustful and grumpy people!

Dan&Gilda@Rio

As a naval spotter, I woke up early to do some pictures of ships moored in the port of Rio de Janeiro, and as I always do, I took some of my postcards with me to distribute to other enthusiasts, passengers and crew.

To my surprise, by offering my last postcard (with a picture of the Silver Muse docked in Malta, made on my last trip to Europe) as a FREE GIFT to some passengers of that same ship and of the Seabourn Quest (both moored today) walking around the port, almost all of them looked at me with an ugly face - like if I were a criminal or a DAESH terrorist - refusing and speeding the pace!

What a crazy world, of suspicious and distrustful people! :o:confused:

Especially in Rio. Everyone is warned before hand to be on their guard, be wary of scams, and watch your valuables. Someone walking up to them to give them something could be viewed as the first step in distracting them to rob them or worse,

I would not be so hard on the people. Perhaps in another port it may have been different.

I am sorry that it happened - sadly, my own experiences of Rio a few years ago was of a youth trying to steal from my husband's pocket on Copacabana beach (all he had in it were some tissues), and we wore no watches or jewellery; the bird dirt on the shoe scam, and someone at the airport who tried to sell us some passport covers which they said we had to have legally in Rio!! I am afraid it put me off Rio for life, and unfortunately that reputation will be what caused people to rebuff you. Of course, we did look like middle aged Europeans; no doubt if we had looked like locals it would not have happened.

That is very nice what you were doing but at the same time it is understandable that people would be on their guard.

Wish we lived in a world where things didn't have but since things happen I understand why people would have walked by you quickly and seemed unfriendly.

Keith

I echo the others that you were very kind to offer your photos and it makes me sad that you were put off. On the other hand, Rio has a very bad reputation among international travelers these days. People are very afraid of being crime victims. Sad but true.

The only explanation I have is that perhaps the ships have passed through Salvador (Bahia) or Jamaica before their way to Rio. As in these places (and in a few others like Marrakesh and the surrounding of the Istanbul Blue Mosque) tourists are often annoyed by a crowd of sellers and beggars who practically force them to buy something or give them money, probably those who refused my simple souvenir you found that I was one of them!

I am sorry that it happened - sadly, my own experiences of Rio a few years ago was of a youth trying to steal from my husband's pocket on Copacabana beach (all he had in it were some tissues), and we wore no watches or jewellery; the bird dirt on the shoe scam, and someone at the airport who tried to sell us some passport covers which they said we had to have legally in Rio!! I am afraid it put me off Rio for life, and unfortunately that reputation will be what caused people to rebuff you. Of course, we did look like middle aged Europeans; no doubt if we had looked like locals it would not have happened.

Well, Copacabana is really a "wild jungle" for foreigners, especially because it's the place in Rio which receives more tourists (most hotels are located here). We live in Copacabana and listed a room in our apartment on airbnb. Two of our guests (both from Argentina) were stolen at the beach. But fortunately the cruise port boulevard (known as "Boulevard Olímpico" / "Olympic Boulevard") is a relatively safe place (it's one of few places in Rio where I carry my drone and my cameras without much fear of a steal). Just a tip for visitors: don't walk towards the back streets, there's less policemen there. Keep walking on the boulevard and the square near Museu do Amanhã ("Tomorrow's Museum") and, if you want to see the historic centre of Rio, take the tramway to Santos-Dumont Airport direction until Cinelandia station.

I hate to say this but for as long as I can recall Rio has not been a "safe" place. Back in the 80's the company I worked for had business in Rio (and I'm not going to even get started on the intellectual property theft that occurred) but pretty much anyone who went there did not feel safe. And a rather big, strong male employee who could have left the mugger dead in the street except for the gun, was robbed at gunpoint so I personally have no desire to spend my hard earned dollars there. Lawless places should be avoided.

The only explanation I have is that perhaps the ships have passed through Salvador (Bahia) or Jamaica before their way to Rio. As in these places (and in a few others like Marrakesh and the surrounding of the Istanbul Blue Mosque) tourists are often annoyed by a crowd of sellers and beggars who practically force them to buy something or give them money, probably those who refused my simple souvenir you found that I was one of them!

It is really nice that you wanted to share your artistry with people. Very nice.

The reality of world, at least for those of us who live in big cities or have traveled to one, is that strangers generally don't offer things for free without expecting something in return. (Or worse, they are offering something because they have criminal intent).

I'm actually shocked that you think that people would stop to engage you. (That may say something about me and my background, but I would guess that 1% of tourists would stop to engage you, and those would be the people most likely to fall prey to predators.)

Was in Rio last year on the Quest and found the Port area to be quite safe and comfortable. The previous time I was there was in 1977 when I was in the Navy. It was supposedly pretty scary but I was too young, poor and brave to be intimidated. We did take normal simple precautions however even then, as we did in every port.

As a result of the Olympics & World Cup, Downtown Rio has changed for the better. These days you have to be much more concerned about traveling to the suburbs, especially on weekends. For most cruise ship passengers this is not going to be an issue however.

We had a private guide in Rio and discussed this issue extensively.