Embassy vs Hyatt Place

CRUISING71

We can't decide...pls help. Both are walking distance to places to eat. We are a family of 4. Which one is near the water taxi stop so we can take a tour? Any other places u would recommend? We won't have a rental car, so everything has to be within walking distance.

Thank you,

Tibby

We love the Embassy Suites. We have stayed there many times. It is nice for 4, since there is a bedroom and a living room area. Lots more privacy for all.

Plus, the 2 hour free happy hour is nice. We for sure get our money's worth out of that. Plus, the kids can get sodas and snacks also.

The breakfast has all sorts of items to choose from. Nice made to order eggs and omelets. Saves a lot of money.

The water taxi stop is about a half a mile, at the most. We walk there every time we stay there. Last time we took the water taxi to Hollywood beach. Fun to see something different. If you don't want to walk it, the shuttle at the hotel will take you for a small charge.

There is also lots of places to eat, and a grocery and wine store just a block across the parking lot.

We never have a rental car, and don't miss it at all.

Claudia

Embassy is about .7 mile walk to water taxi. Hyatt Place is a couple of blocks further. These are closer and an easy walk to family dining:

Renaissance

Bahia Mar Doubletree

Gallery One Doubletree

Sheraton Beach

The Embassy has a free Shuttle that will pick you up at the Airport and take you to the Hotel. They charge around $7.00 or $8.00 PP to take you to the cruise port. We always enjoy our stay at Embassy, and are booked again for September.

The Embassy has a free Shuttle that will pick you up at the Airport and take you to the Hotel. They charge around $7.00 or $8.00 PP to take you to the cruise port. We always enjoy our stay at Embassy, and are booked again for September.

Since when? Never heard of this free service.

What does that include?

The 2 hour happy hour is at the bar in the atrium. It includes beer, wine, basic mixed drinks, snacks and a soda machine. When we were there we had popcorn and chips and salsa. You can go get as many drinks as you like, but they limit you to 2 at time. Kids can sit there also and get shirley temples or soda. We went up many times and got 2 beers each, and we for sure got our moneys worth.

Claudia

Judi-Since 2010, and one year before that when we stayed at ES. They give you the phone # to call after you collect your Baggage, and a Van will come pick you up at the Airport. We watched the Van pass us up a time or two-LOL...,But there was no charge. It would probably be much quicker to call a taxi.

I stayed at ES is Dec 2012 and paid $7 per person to get from the airport. Went back in April 2013 and it was $8, Got a case of water and other goodies at shopping area behind ES and Publix and called for the shuttle to pick me up as it was too much to carry. She just told me to tip him. Also Duffy's is in that same plaza and they offer 40% off during the week in the afternoon if you join their MVP club. Saved a lot on food. You can do takeout and it is just a short walk out the back door of ES - just watch the traffic. Duffy's just sent me an email for a free appetizer but it expires July 31. Too bad I am not going back sooner.

The 2 hour happy hour is at the bar in the atrium. It includes beer, wine, basic mixed drinks, snacks and a soda machine. When we were there we had popcorn and chips and salsa. You can go get as many drinks as you like, but they limit you to 2 at time. Kids can sit there also and get shirley temples or soda. We went up many times and got 2 beers each, and we for sure got our moneys worth.

Claudia

Great. Thanks a lot. The ES is on our short-list for pre-cruise so I was curious. :)

Claudia

And if you don't mind me asking, what was the time frame on this happy hour?

Incidentally, on our last two Fort Lauderdale sailings (Oasis & Allure) we've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a couple blocks up from the Embassy Suites. No complaints about that hotel, has served us well, just that I was thinking about mixing it up and trying a different spot this time around for our Turkey Day Allure Cruise this November. Obviously the ES comes highly recommended by many fellow CC'rs, but I thought I'd just dig into some of the details (like this happy hour, for example!) before I made a final decision. :cool:

Though to add to my current Embassy vs Holiday Inn Express debate (and to make it even more relevant to this thread), I have access to relatively cheap Hyatt Stay Certificates for the Hyatt Place for only $109, so therefore I might consider that hotel as well due to the obvious savings over the others. Decisions, decisions! ;)

Judi-Since 2010, and one year before that when we stayed at ES. They give you the phone # to call after you collect your Baggage, and a Van will come pick you up at the Airport. We watched the Van pass us up a time or two-LOL...,But there was no charge. It would probably be much quicker to call a taxi.

Hmmm...2009 is when my family of 6 adults stayed there pre-cruise and there was no airport shuttle then or we would have used it....:confused:

And if you don't mind me asking, what was the time frame on this happy hour?

Incidentally, on our last two Fort Lauderdale sailings (Oasis & Allure) we've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a couple blocks up from the Embassy Suites. No complaints about that hotel, has served us well, just that I was thinking about mixing it up and trying a different spot this time around for our Turkey Day Allure Cruise this November. Obviously the ES comes highly recommended by many fellow CC'rs, but I thought I'd just dig into some of the details (like this happy hour, for example!) before I made a final decision. :cool:

Though to add to my current Embassy vs Holiday Inn Express debate (and to make it even more relevant to this thread), I have access to relatively cheap Hyatt Stay Certificates for the Hyatt Place for only $109, so therefore I might consider that hotel as well due to the obvious savings over the others. Decisions, decisions! ;)

I believe the ES's manager hosted happy hour is from 6:00pm-8:00pm..We love this hotel and looking forward to being there again this October for our pre-cruise.

I believe the ES's manager hosted happy hour is from 6:00pm-8:00pm..We love this hotel and looking forward to being there again this October for our pre-cruise.

I just spoke to the front desk and was told 5:30 - 7:30. Might be different now. I was also surprised to hear they didn't have a complimentary shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

I just spoke to the front desk and was told 5:30 - 7:30. Might be different now. I was also surprised to hear they didn't have a complimentary shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

Well I guess that's all part of weighing the pros and cons of the hotels. On the plus side, with ES you have an arguably nicer hotel plus the awesome free happy hour...on the down side, you have to rely on cab transportation from airport to hotel to ship (though that isn't all bad since you don't have to wait around much and the coat isn't much more).

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Well I guess that's all part of weighing the pros and cons of the hotels. On the plus side, with ES you have an arguably nicer hotel plus the awesome free happy hour...on the down side, you have to rely on cab transportation from airport to hotel to ship (though that isn't all bad since you don't have to wait around much and the coat isn't much more).

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Yes you have the complimentary happy hour but, when you factor in $8pp airport to hotel and $8 pp hotel to port, that's an extra $32. Another point of comparison is Wi-Fi. Embassy Suites charges $9.95 per day. All things to think about. :)

Yes you have the complimentary happy hour but, when you factor in $8pp airport to hotel and $8 pp hotel to port, that's an extra $32. Another point of comparison is Wi-Fi. Embassy Suites charges $9.95 per day. All things to think about. :)

Ahhh, a very excellent point, hadn't considered the wi-fi aspect. To be honest, while we do enjoy our share of adult beverages, the wife and I tend to be most concerned with the ease of transportation above all else. With the HIE, that isn't an issue (plus they have a relationship with a transportation company who is present in their lobby where you can buy your round trip hotel-to-port-to-airport, which is excellent). Plus, once we get into town, we typically like heading over to Duffy's for drinks and food before hitting the Publix & Total Wine for our last minute cruise essentials, lol. So perhaps I might head back to our old trusty Holiday Inn option after all...:cool:

Ahh...something else that has changed since we were there last...we had free internet. ;)

Archived