Bonine?

stitchcreek

So I was recommended Bonine to prevent seasickness, but just read the label last night and it says to avoid alcohol...

That doesn’t mix well with my unlimited beverage package!

Anyone know if this is just to avoid drowsiness and I could take them before bed each night, or is that still a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each person is different in terms of side effects.

When we do take the Bonine we only take one within 24 hours rather then two.

We also take it either in the morning/early afternoon or as you said later in the evening.

In our case we are able to drink without the side effects but as I said we are all different.

Keith

Bonine - the generic is Meclizine, is a God send for me! I am extremely prone to motion sickness and taking 50mg a day keeps me nausea free for up to 24 hours.

As for not drinking alcohol - even though Bonine/Meclizine is a non drowsy alternative to Dramamine, it is still an antihistamine and drinking alcohol intensifies certain side effects. In some cases it can be deadly

However, Meclizine and a moderate consumption of alcohol is generally safe. If you have any qualms, try it out before you go to sea and see how you react. Taking it before you go to bed definitely will help - most people take it then to minimize any drowsiness to begin with

First, don't take bonine because you think you will get seasick. This is not something you take thinking it will work the next day. Bonine is for feeling seasick and doesn't just prevent drowsiness it helps prevent being seasick. That is not quite feeling right, stomach not upset but not quite right , you just want to lie down.

You can also get bracelets in any drug store that you wear to also prevent seasickness. You just put them on in the morning. They have pressure points on your wrists to combate getting sea sick - and you can drink as much as you want wearing them. And there is a limit for the amount of alcohol you buy in all the drink packages. and you cannot buy anyone else a drinlk with it. It is for you only!

A couple of additional comments.

If the Captain says there will be rough seas or if we have the feeling there will be we do take them.

If you have never taken Bonine try it first at home. You could test it out to see if it bothers you.

As to the bracelets (sea bands) as the manufacturer notes they are effective for 50% of the people not all.

Keith

I don't have any problems drinking moderately and taking bonine. If the seas are rough and my sea bands aren't adequate, I take a pill and lay down until the dizzy feeling stops. If the seas remain rough, I take one bonine at night before I go to sleep. In calm seas, the sea bands work really well for me.

I get very sea sick. The Inside Passage gave me trouble. The key to sea sickness remedies is to take them BEFORE the nausea sets in. Take them as soon as you start to feel kind of dizzy and like your balance is off. If you wait until the nausea sets in, it takes longer for them to work.

I get horrible motion sickness - not just on cruise ships but everywhere. I have used the patch and bonine. The patch works ok for me but gives me dry mouth. I find that bonine twice a day works better for me, just have to remember to take it. Some people report that it makes them drowsy. If you drink then that can amplify the drowsiness. Bonine doesn’t make me drowsy at all and I don’t have any issues drinking when I’m using it. You may want to try bonine now, at home, to see how it affects you so you know whether or not it will work on your cruise.

Why are you looking at a seasickness preventative? Is this your first cruise? How often do you experience motion sickness normally? If you don’t typically experience motion sickness and you’ve only been seasick on small boats. You may want to bring something, just in case, but a vast majority of cruises do not get motion sick on cruise ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am also hesitant to mix most meds with alcohol, and recommend the Sea Bands (also works if you get land sickness when you return) or other natural motion sickness remedies like ginger ale, green apples, crackers.

If you had slow paced drinking throughout the day then a bonine at night in anticipation of rough seas should be fine. If you crammed a bunch of drinks in late in the evening and your BAC is higher, I wouldn't risk taking anything.

Hope you have calm seas!

Talk to your doctor about the patch behind your ear. I use Bonine but hardly ever drink because of some of the medications I take anyway. It never hurts to talk to your doctor about what will work best for you.

Best advice of all. Talk to a medical professional, not people on a cruise forum.:)

I agree, best advice is from your doctor.

I have seasickness issues and choose to use the SeaBand acupressure bracelets. Any pharmacy under $10. There are no side effects. On occasion I have taken meclizine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Talk to your doctor about the patch behind your ear. I use Bonine but hardly ever drink because of some of the medications I take anyway. It never hurts to talk to your doctor about what will work best for you.

To be honest, the Scopolamine Transderm patch is overkill for most cruises - they make me loopy and extremely tired to the point of sleeping the first day and a half away. And the cotton mouth is the worst I have ever had. And God forbid you accidentally touch it and then rub your eyes!!