Disappointed with Myself & Carnival

Reenie75

So originally I booked an early saver, only to realize the wrong week in April 2018 on the Liberty. A week later after booking I changed it to the following next week (1 week ) I was explained about the Early Saver policy and charged $100 admin charges. I was so pissed off with myself. :mad:

Today, I question Carnival if by chance, if I upgraded myself to inside to balcony (which is double the cost) if they could take the admin charges off? They won't. It shocks me abit that they are so sticky with their policy especially when I'm thinking of spending more money on the ship? I know I made the mistake first but paying for an upgrade you can't even lift the admin charges? It's sad I haven' sailed with Carnival yet and it leaves me on a sour note on a vacation I haven't even started on!

Edited by Reenie75
Wrong word

I get it. I didn't even know what I booked rate wise and wanted to change to a much more expensive cruise that had plenty of space and they wouldn't allow it. I was like really? You are going to get all my vacation money instead of just a quarter of it and you won't allow the change? It definitely turned me off to Carnival. I haven't even gone yet and I doubt I will use them again. And it was my fault, I get that. So that makes me even more frustrated!

I understand your disappointment, but as you said, it was your error. Why would Carnival be responsible? What makes your situation different from others who want to be compensated for their mistakes? Carnival is a business. They are in the business to make money for the corporation and share holders while keeping costs down for cruisers. Sorry, but sometimes, you just have to suck it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

Edited by Butterbean1000

I understand your disappointment, but as you said, it was your error. Why would Carnival be responsible? What makes your situation different from others who want to be compensated for their mistakes? Carnival a business. They are in the business to make money for the corporation and share holders while keeping costs down for cruisers. Sorry, but sometimes, you just have to suck it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

Exactly! You admitted that you made the mistake...not Carnival. They have no reason to take the charges off simply because you want to upgrade your cabin. I wouldn't even think of asking them to do that.

Exactly! You admitted that you made the mistake...not Carnival. They have no reason to take the charges off simply because you want to upgrade your cabin. I wouldn't even think of asking them to do that.

Or if I asked and was told no I wouldn't be upset with carnival since it was my fault to begin with

I get it, my mistake. I just find it odd I'm willing to pay for upgrade on the same cruise that is double the cost. They are making more money. Yes I agree it's their business and their rules. I didn' cancel tho or asked for a refund. I just know now not to rebook. Live and learn and I won' be upgrading.

I get it, my mistake. I just find it odd I'm willing to pay for upgrade on the same cruise that is double the cost. They are making more money. Yes I agree it's their business and their rules. I didn' cancel tho or asked for a refund. I just know now not to rebook. Live and learn and I won' be upgrading.

But it's not the same cruise - it's different dates which requires you to cancel and rebook. If it was the same cruise, there wouldn't be a fee. See the difference?

Happens to the best of us. We changed ships once and had to eat the $100. That's life. Be sure of your dates and ship and accept the penalties of ES or pay the little bit more and get a refundable rate. The choice is yours.

I agreement next time know better. The only reason the week got changed was due to work.

Edited by Reenie75
Spelling

I agreement next time know better. The only reason the week got changed was due to work.

Stinking work! :D Next time compare rates and you'll find that it's typically only about $20 more pp total for a rate without penalties (not set in stone, just my experience). Just in case. Then if you know for sure it's set, you can switch to ES Rate. Keep in mind that you will be locked in to ES terms and conditions at that time. I do that a lot. I'll book a non ES rate to hold the cabin I want and as it gets closer I may switch for the lower rate. It just depends.

Stinking work! :D Next time compare rates and you'll find that it's typically only about $20 more pp total for a rate without penalties (not set in stone, just my experience). Just in case. Then if you know for sure it's set, you can switch to ES Rate. Keep in mind that you will be locked in to ES terms and conditions at that time. I do that a lot. I'll book a non ES rate to hold the cabin I want and as it gets closer I may switch for the lower rate. It just depends.

Didn't think of that. Thank you!

Eh, like you said, live and learn.

I wouldn't let this be a lasting impression. It sucks, I understand... but try and have fun and go with it all.

I tried to change flights for my upcoming cruise to get a better one (direct) and they wouldn't budge for me. I would have happily paid a $100 fee to pay a slightly higher rate. So at least you were able to switch and hadn't booked your flights?

I didn't even know what I booked rate wise and wanted to change to a much more expensive cruise that had plenty of space and they wouldn't allow it. I was like really?

Seriously? You booked a cruise and dont know what rate you booked??? Wow...use a TA or PVP next time to save yourself a headache and some money, sorry I just dont get it!!! :confused:..........WOW!!!!

So originally I booked an early saver, only to realize the wrong week in April 2018 on the Liberty. A week later after booking I changed it to the following next week (1 week ��) I was explained about the Early Saver policy and charged $100 admin charges. I was so pissed off with myself. :mad:

Today, I question Carnival if by chance, if I upgraded myself to inside to balcony (which is double the cost) if they could take the admin charges off? They won't. It shocks me abit that they are so sticky with their policy especially when I'm thinking of spending more money on the ship? I know I made the mistake first but paying for an upgrade you can't even lift the admin charges? It's sad I haven' sailed with Carnival yet and it leaves me on a sour note on a vacation I haven't even started on!

If I REALLY wanted the better room, I would eat the $100-

And just chalk it up to lesson learned . ....but that’s me....I’ll be happier, once on board .

Helaine

So originally I booked an early saver, only to realize the wrong week in April 2018 on the Liberty. A week later after booking I changed it to the following next week (1 week ��) I was explained about the Early Saver policy and charged $100 admin charges. I was so pissed off with myself. :mad:

It sucks to make a $100 mistake, but Carnival is not the one to blame here. Their policies are stated online (see https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2705/~/early-saver-and-early-saver-last-call-promotions) and have been this way for a few years now.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned. :)

And, just a tip....purchase trip insurance!

I'm shocked that you're shocked that a company is enforcing it's rules. :rolleyes:

I get it. I didn't even know what I booked rate wise and wanted to change to a much more expensive cruise that had plenty of space and they wouldn't allow it. I was like really? You are going to get all my vacation money instead of just a quarter of it and you won't allow the change? It definitely turned me off to Carnival. I haven't even gone yet and I doubt I will use them again. And it was my fault, I get that. So that makes me even more frustrated!

Actually, let's make you statement correct, shall we?

"They wouldn't allow me to change penalty free."

You're welcome.

But this could have been ANY other cruise line. IF that was their policy, they would have said/done same exact thing. And then you would be stating you would NEVER cruise with xyz cruise line again because of your mistake.

Had this happen as well a few years ago. I was unaware of the various rates and had to make a change. My Carnival Personal Vacation Planner gave me the news of the penalty fee but was kind enough to waive it. He did give me a stern warning for next time and I appreciated his going the extra mile for me, so I still use him today. No more booking on other travel websites, since he also said to always call him first before making any changes, especially if I see a lower price as Carnival can match.

My suggestion is try getting a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner, since it's your first offense.

Well I would call and ask again. I not only changed myself, but two other cabins from balcony to a suites and because it was an upgrade (more money) they would do it with out me being out my deposit... it moved with me. This is for our April 2018 cruise. So it would not hurt to ask again. And yes I am early saver.

Well I would call and ask again. I not only changed myself, but two other cabins from balcony to a suites and because it was an upgrade (more money) they would do it with out me being out my deposit... it moved with me. This is for our April 2018 cruise. So it would not hurt to ask again. And yes I am early saver.

So you moved from one cruise date to another and didn't get charged a $50 per person penalty?