Road to Hana question?

emarismom

I can't seem to find this answer, so can someone please explain this to me. If I drive the twisty, curvy RTH all the way to Hana in a rental car, do I just turn around and go back the same way to return to the ship or is there another route I can take. I just want to make sure I understand what I am in for.

The entire route will take ALL DAY LONG. There are much better ways to spend your time on Maui. The RTH is great for killing a day on a long land-based trip...

The road used to start at one point, and end at another. If the exit is closed, then all bets are off. Figure at least 8-10 hours driving and sightseeing. It's a long day.

I agree with everyone who says you will need to turn around. But, there is no need to do the entire RTH to enjoy its beauty. Get a guide book and pick a couple of waterfalls and views you want to see, pack a pic nic and enjoy a leisurely day. The scenery is beautiful. Cherie

Thank you for the replies!! I think we will do it and just go as far as we feel comfortable with and then turn around and head back. We are a family of four, so renting a car and doing it on our own is considerably less expensive and gives us the flexibility to head back whenever we want as opposed to being stuck on a tour for 8-10 hours.

Thank you for the replies!! I think we will do it and just go as far as we feel comfortable with and then turn around and head back. We are a family of four, so renting a car and doing it on our own is considerably less expensive and gives us the flexibility to head back whenever we want as opposed to being stuck on a tour for 8-10 hours.

Remember the person driving gets to see nothing but the road! Too twisty turny to do anything but pay complete attention to the very narrow road, cars coming toward you and navigating the many turns.

Sorry to be a downer but we go to Maui every year and have tried a few times and decided never again .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You used to be ablate loop back around the island but that road has been closed for quite a while now.

Living in Maui, I can assure you that the southern route from Hana to Upcountry is always open except for when the road is damaged. I don't recommend driving it for several reason & it could be a violation of rental car contracts: not very scenic, rough road surface, isolated. If needing assistance, it'll take a long time & be expensive to get help & as I recall cell phone coverage was spotty the last time I drove this route.

The route around the northern end is also open (Kahekili Hwy) although beginning July 10 until February 2018 for road work Monday-Friday between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511221

Edited by Astro Flyer

Do this trip the 1st day when you are in port overnight. You don't want to be rushing to get back.

There is an app you can download for $4.99 that narrates the trip for you. It's hoot. One of the best "excursion" expenses I ever did.

Do this trip the 1st day when you are in port overnight. You don't want to be rushing to get back.

There is an app you can download for $4.99 that narrates the trip for you. It's hoot. One of the best "excursion" expenses I ever did.

Excellent advice!

Remember the person driving gets to see nothing but the road! Too twisty turny to do anything but pay complete attention to the very narrow road, cars coming toward you and navigating the many turns.

Sorry to be a downer but we go to Maui every year and have tried a few times and decided never again .

Yes, but when DH and I did the RTH several years ago, it seemed like we spent more time out of the car than in it! There are many, many pull offs with scenic things just steps off the road, waterfalls with pools to swim in, rainbow eucalyptus walks, beaches, etc. Most probably make their stops on the way TO Hana and it's easy to lose track of time. And, the pull offs and sites get crowded with all the others who also got an early start. I suggest you drive pretty much straight to Hana, or a bit beyond if you want to see the 7 Sacred Pools and the church and Lindberg's grave, then make your stops on the way back, spending as much or as little time as your schedule allows. Get a good RTH guide so you know where you want to stop.

Yes, but when DH and I did the RTH several years ago, it seemed like we spent more time out of the car than in it! There are many, many pull offs with scenic things just steps off the road, waterfalls with pools to swim in, rainbow eucalyptus walks, beaches, etc. Most probably make their stops on the way TO Hana and it's easy to lose track of time. And, the pull offs and sites get crowded with all the others who also got an early start. I suggest you drive pretty much straight to Hana, or a bit beyond if you want to see the 7 Sacred Pools and the church and Lindberg's grave, then make your stops on the way back, spending as much or as little time as your schedule allows. Get a good RTH guide so you know where you want to stop.

That's a good suggestion to first drive as far as desired & make stops on the way back.

When driving the RTH it's been my experience that the lightest traffic has been early on weekends. That's logical to me because arrivals & departures of visitors are more common on weekends. It's popularity usually results in higher airfares because of the need for weekend travel due to work schedules.

Driving early on weekends might not be an option for many ship arrivals although NCL's POA arrives on Sunday morning. It's been my experience that in general Sunday morning traffic can be the lightest time on Maui.

I agree! I bought the Shaka app for Road to Hana and it was great. We also used the Kauai versions as well.