A question for those who were in Croatia.

weselka

Where is the best place to change US dollars/Euros into Kunos? The first port-of-call in Croatia will be Dubrovnik and the last port-of-call leaving Croatia will be Split. Is it possible to change unused Kunos back into Dollars/Euros or is it a only a one-way exchange?

Thanking you ahead for any and all help and suggestions you may have.

(Fr.) Roman

There are many Money exchange boothes at the ports exit. Exchange rate was ok, they do not charge a separate fee - their commission is included in the rate - so "what you see is what you get - I would not search around. They exchanged small amounts too without any hassle.

Where is the best place to change US dollars/Euros into Kunos? The first port-of-call in Croatia will be Dubrovnik and the last port-of-call leaving Croatia will be Split. Is it possible to change unused Kunos back into Dollars/Euros or is it a only a one-way exchange?

(Fr.) Roman

Hello Father, To get Kunos you can use a local ATM or Guest Services on the ship. To change them back to dollars, Guest Services will do that for you. They'll change paper only, not coins. I changed Icelandic and Norwegian bills with no difficulty.

We've been to Dubrovnik several times and have always used Euros or a credit card without any problem. When we went to a museum and later walked the wall, the admission fees were posted in Kunos as well as Euros. If we paid in Euros, we would get Kunos in change, which we would use for tips.

While Euros/credit cards are accepted fairly widely in Croatia, be aware that they were not, at least as of last September, universally accepted... Particularly true if you are planning to patronize small stands/kiosks [including some in Old Town Dubrovnik and in Split] for minor purchases [coffee, soft drinks, gelato, and token souvenirs come to mind]; it is advisable to ask before ordering...

I didn't anticipate spending much/didn't spend much while ashore so I exchanged a modest amount of dollars for kunas aboard ship; that which was left went toward gratuities to tour guides... While the cruise line's rate was less favorable than I could have gotten via an ATM withdrawal, it was--for me--the better alternative as I avoided related ATM fees that would have more than consumed the ATM exchange rate advantage...

Where is the best place to change US dollars/Euros into Kunos?

If you are Canadian, I would not buy euro or US$ to use to buy Kuna, you will be paying a commission twice. Most people get the best rates by obtaining foreign currency from an ATM and by making purchases with a credit card. Check fees with your financial institutions.

Thank you all for your suggestions and sound advice. I was not aware that Kunos could be purchased on board the ship at Guest Services. Live and learn. I'm uncomfortable using my credit card while abroad. The last time I did, I ended up being charged for women's lingerie (that I did not buy - I must add) ) and an expensive meal at a chic restaurant that I have never been to. The credit card company was very good at removing those charges from my account and issuing me a new card and number but that experience left me a little unnerved. For those that may not be familiar ( I was not ), women's lingerie can be VERY EXPENSIVE !!!!

Thank you again for your help and suggestions.

I just bought some Kunas today for our next cruise. It will be our third time to Croatian ports. In Dubrovnik they will only take Kunas to buy public bus tickets at the port ($1.80) or you can use the ship transfer ($15 US). Most places take credit or Euros but ask first.

Really - do not worry using ships ATM - their exchange rate is the worst of all.

It is no problem at the small exchange offices EVERYWHERE (there are many many many!) to change just a few bucks.

We wanted just 10 € (nearly the same as 10 $) - no problem, no paperwork - got 74 Kuna (so their fee was very very small, included in the exchange rate).

If you want to try some local products - there is a large supermarket (part of a national chain) near the port. They have extensive selection of local food like special jams, cakes, cookies, honey, alcohol and so on. Of course they accept credit cards at the checkout and are reputable.

I keep saying to use Rick Steve's advice.

Try not to use Credit Card at small vendors/shops. Credit card information is easy to duplicate.

Your safest bet is to use cash. Get cash from a local bank's ATM. For pocket change

you may be able to get some local currency from the Ship's Front Office.

Even in SF here there is numerous Credit Card fraud. I know most times Credit Card fraud

will be reimbursed but it is a big pain and inconvenient. And don't use Debit Card because

it does not have the same protection as a Credit Card.

(Fr.) Roman

When do you leave for your trip? If I could figure out a way, I'd send my leftover Kunos to you! We took a ship tour in Zadar and then walked around the city a little bit, but never used up what we'd bought. It wasn't worth turning it back in. I normally keep my "leftovers" for future travels, but I'm not so sure Croatia is on the "future travel list".........not that there was anything wrong with visiting! We enjoyed our visit this past April, but don't really have any plans to visit again in the near or far future!

Best wishes!

When do you leave for your trip? If I could figure out a way, I'd send my leftover Kunos to you! We took a ship tour in Zadar and then walked around the city a little bit, but never used up what we'd bought. It wasn't worth turning it back in. I normally keep my "leftovers" for future travels, but I'm not so sure Croatia is on the "future travel list".........not that there was anything wrong with visiting! We enjoyed our visit this past April, but don't really have any plans to visit again in the near or far future!

Best wishes!

I thank you for your most generous and kind offer. ( I hope that you do get an opportunity to return to Croatia some day) But my dilemma has been resolved. That is why God gave us older brothers who live in larger cities where the bank branches have all sorts of international currency on hand. I will be overnighting with him on my way to Rome, and he will be able to pass on the Kunos (or is it "Kunas") to me.

Thank you again everyone for your help. Safe travels to all.

(Fr.) Roman

I thank you for your most generous and kind offer. ( I hope that you do get an opportunity to return to Croatia some day) But my dilemma has been resolved. That is why God gave us older brothers who live in larger cities where the bank branches have all sorts of international currency on hand. I will be overnighting with him on my way to Rome, and he will be able to pass on the Kunos (or is it "Kunas") to me.

(Fr.) Roman

Safe travels to you! Glad your dilemma was resolved. I have a couple of older brothers, too, and they always come in handy, LOL! Best wishes, and have a great trip.

(Fr.) Roman

You did the right thing :) I always like to go with a bit of the currencies I need. Glad it is worked out for you. Have a great cruise :)