Labadee Beaches

HiFox23

I've read some conflicting reviews on the quality of the beaches during the Labadee port call. Is every beach rocky and require (or recommend) water shoes? I've seen pictures of what appear to be very nice sand beaches, but I don't know if those are reserved for the RCL guests with "perks." Thanks.

My apologies if this was already discussed, I found no clear results with search.

We forgot our water shoes and did not fell like going back to the ship to get them. It may sound silly, but i laid on my belly and "walked " on the rocks with my hands until I got far enough out that I could swim, and then stood up on the sand.

Sounds like that sight would have been entertaining..You must have rough hands and belly :eek::D:D

I was at Labadee on 1/31. We went to Nellie's beach and did not need our water shoes. There were some rocks right at the shoreline but they were tiny- lke the size you'd see in a fish aquarium. I've heard Columbus Beach is nice, though have not been. Adventure Beach, the one under the Zip Line, is really bad. I think it is impossible to walk into the water there.

I'm a bit confused as to which beaches are for suite guests only, and which are for the general public.

Is it worth purchasing an "excursion" for $200 for a cabana on Nellie's Beach, or is there a nice beach we can use for free? (We don't care about the upgraded lunch that comes with the cabana, we just want a nice shady place to sit on the shore, and a nice beach to swim in).

I'm a bit confused as to which beaches are for suite guests only, and which are for the general public.

Is it worth purchasing an "excursion" for $200 for a cabana on Nellie's Beach, or is there a nice beach we can use for free? (We don't care about the upgraded lunch that comes with the cabana, we just want a nice shady place to sit on the shore, and a nice beach to swim in).

Nellie's Beach and Columbus Beach are open for everyone. Barefoot Beach is reserved for suite guests only. I was intrigued by the cabanas at Nellie's Beach. Having never seen them before this trip I wasn't sure it was worth the $200. I'm still on the fence about them. Maybe next trip.

I am a bit confused. I read that Nellie’s Beach now has Cabanas for general passenger rental. I also read that the beach is also open to anyone - not just those who rent the cabanas. (This is good news for us as we like that beach). So here is the question – if the cabanas include an upgraded lunch, how is the lunch handled with renters and non-renters on the beach?

Thanks

M

We were in Labadee for the Feb 5 2012 sailing of the Freedom of the Seas. We spent the day at Nellie's beach. My kids both started will the aqua shoes in the morning and found that they didn't want/need them by the end of the day.

There is definitely a few rocky places closer to where the cabana's are but for the most part I didn't find it too rocky at all.

As for the canbana's while they look nice I am not sure its worth the price. They do have a lot of the sun shades for you beach chair if you want as well. The shades cover up 2 beach chairs quite nice.

Although there are some rocky areas near the shore, it's not impossible to swim. We found plenty of spots to lay in the sun or rest in the shade on a lounger. There seemed to be plenty loungers to go around. The buffet for the general folk and cabana area was separate. The cabanas looked nice, but we are not sure they are worth $200. I think maybe if RCI would cut the price of the cabanas in half, for a half day, they would get more takers.

We love Labadee. We wish the ship would stay for 2 days!

We were at Nellies and Columbus last may and it was fine. Columbus is smoother. I always bring water shoes but did not need them at Columbus. There were a few smallish rocks at Nellie's. It depends on the time of year and recent storms, so I would bring them just in case.

Check the maps they give out. It clearly shows that the beaches on the north(?) side of the point (under the zip line) are recommended for sunbathing only, while the south side are for sunning and swimming. My recent experience bears this out. So no, not all beaches are rocky.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember walking on "rocks" that are really coral kills them. it is why all the coral near the beach is dead. It still looks nice, but its no longer a habitat.

And every person who feel they just need to touch it once, multiplied by the number of visitors each year, you end up with dead reefs.

Its why when you go to haunama bay in hawaii now, the first reef is all grey and dead.

Does anyone have a map of the areas on Labadee? We were there about 6 years ago when you had to be tendered in. There is a pier now and I'd like to see where that is. The zip lines went right across the area where we stayed. There were plenty of beach chairs for free. Am interested in Nellies Beach and Columbus Bay, but don't want to have to spend money on a cabana.:D

Here is a link to a map of Labadee. I believe this is Radio's.

http://public.fotki.com/Radio88/allure-of-the-seas/labadee--may-2011/lab2.html

The beach to the "right" (on the map) of Barefoot Beach is Nellie's Beach. The beaches on that side of the pennisula have smooth sand bottoms. I've never needed water shoes for beaches on this side.

The other side, where Adrenaline Beach is, is full of rocks.

The rocks aren't as much of a problem as the sea urchins. They are plentiful! My son was in the water not more than 10 min and stepped on one. Ruined a whole day of having to limp around with his foot stinging. :(

If we ever go back there we will either stay on the ship or bring some water shoes.

How far of walk to Nellie's or Columbus? I am guessing the trams run to both? don't mind the walk but we will have stuff with us so tram might work to get us there and then we can walk around after we are all set up at the beach.

Archived