Ultimate Beverage Package - Changes to Conditions

majoranna

In the NCL Terms and Conditions - Ultimate Beverage Package, as of today, it says:

"Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer "up to and including $15" :)

Under the Beverage Package Details in my NCL it suddenly says:

"This package includes all cocktails, spirits, glasses of wine and beer (under $11) " :(

Can't see this being a typo - Can they alter the T & C for ppl who have already booked on the condition of free drinks under $15?

When I clicked terms and conditions for the UBP I see $15...where are you seeing it?

It still says it when clicking on terms and conditions but when you look at the actual page description of the package it has in fact been altered to up to $11.

That said, it is too early to panic unless this is a signal that they are raising bar prices. Current drink prices are between $6 and $11 from what I understand (first NCL cruise coming in few months, this is just based on research I did in planning). I haven't seen anything except maybe punch bowl drinks and certain glasses of wine coming even close to $15 so maybe they are just excluding a few items that would fall under that umbrella.

If they are raising their prices AND lowering the UBP package umbrella, that would be a crazy turn of events and I will surely be raising hell with NCL before I board that boat with the express promise to not sail again. The cruise I booked 8 months ago has been pretty drastically altered and this would be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back...

I guess we will have to wait and see.

It was raised from $11 to $15 limit. This is likely just a spot where they didn't get the info updated.

When I booked and in subsequent visits to the page to check info, it has always said $15 but it has changed into $11. The terms and conditions have stayed the same though. Maybe it is just a glitch somewhere but I think it should definitely be something to watch over the next few weeks.

It still says it when clicking on terms and conditions but when you look at the actual page description of the package it has in fact been altered to up to $11.

That said, it is too early to panic unless this is a signal that they are raising bar prices. Current drink prices are between $6 and $11 from what I understand (first NCL cruise coming in few months, this is just based on research I did in planning). I haven't seen anything except maybe punch bowl drinks and certain glasses of wine coming even close to $15 so maybe they are just excluding a few items that would fall under that umbrella.

If they are raising their prices AND lowering the UBP package umbrella, that would be a crazy turn of events and I will surely be raising hell with NCL before I board that boat with the express promise to not sail again. The cruise I booked 8 months ago has been pretty drastically altered and this would be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back...

Okay, I found where it says it..thanks.

When I clicked terms and conditions for the UBP I see $15...where are you seeing it?

Within the past year, changes to the cruise product you have originally booked on a NCL cruise, have been very common. The changes were very apparent when I was on the Getaway in early Feb this year; the value just isn't there anymore. You never know what you are going to get.......:rolleyes:

For anyone not finding it, here's a screenshot - hope you can see it.

Wondering if there is something in the small print that says they can alter the T & C's after bookings have been confirmed

UBP.jpg.64816e84192d1b5d7b76de3c1b726803.jpg

Edited by majoranna

Can't see this being a typo - Can they alter the T & C for ppl who have already booked on the condition of free drinks under $15?

They can try… But like the others I don't think they are lowering the limit back to $11. They are using other methods to reduce the value of the package, like cutting off service on the last night of the cruise (see this thread), reinstating the list of excluded super premium brands (for now only on the Sky), and of course raising the price of the package and the price of drinks every few months.

Just noticed that the price of the package has been increased from $69 a day to $79 dollars a day so they're definitely shuffling the prices around.

We're had the all inclusive package with our booking, so no odds to us, but wondering where they're at with this. Maybe just a simple hike.

Just noticed that the price of the package has been increased from $69 a day to $79 dollars a day so they're definitely shuffling the prices around.

We're had the all inclusive package with our booking, so no odds to us, but wondering where they're at with this. Maybe just a simple hike.

I would bet that price increase is to benefit NCL's free UBP packages. Increasing the price on the package won't affect what you get as a free offer, but it will increase the grats & SC that you pay at 18%.

Maybe they are scrambling to convert to a more inclusive plan like Carnival just did, including specialty coffee, energy drinks, and bottled water? We can hope!

OMG they are pushing the limits. It doesn't affect my booking either, but future bookings are what concerns me. Now they are going to pick everyone's pockets an additional $1.80 a day.

Hate to say it but NCL has become a company I don't want to do business with, and I am saying this as a shareholder. I might end up cancelling the 1 open booking I currently have, and selling my NCLH stock. The stock price is back to what I paid for it, and I might just jump.

OMG they are pushing the limits. It doesn't affect my booking either, but future bookings are what concerns me. Now they are going to pick everyone's pockets an additional $1.80 a day.

Hate to say it but NCL has become a company I don't want to do business with, and I am saying this as a shareholder. I might end up cancelling the 1 open booking I currently have, and selling my NCLH stock. The stock price is back to what I paid for it, and I might just jump.

How pathetic! The price is indeed $79 per day and I thought maybe they were adding bottled water, speciality coffees, red bull, etc but nope just a price hike!

I have not made my final payment yet so does that mean I will be charged the extra gratuities on my 12 day cruise?:confused:

How pathetic! The price is indeed $79 per day and I thought maybe they were adding bottled water, speciality coffees, red bull, etc but nope just a price hike!

I have not made my final payment yet so does that mean I will be charged the extra gratuities on my 12 day cruise?:confused:

No you won't pay any more. You booked before they increased the price, so they can't pick your pocket, but going forward anyone who buys the UBP or receives it as a "free drink" perk will be paying 18% on $79. And I totally agree that for $79 you should get specialty coffees and bottled water. I read that RCL includes it in their package.

Edited by vince_g

Wow! I had to log on to NCL and verify for myself that it is indeed $79/day. I'd be miffed if this was something we bought on a regular basis. We got the UBP as a perk for our next cruise. We had to pay the service charge. The raising of the fees actually makes this a much easier decision for me. We'll never buy it. It wouldn't be worth it since I'm not that much of a drinker. DH is a drinker but together we wouldn't drink enough to justify the purchase. I think our cruise booking strategy may have to change again. Maybe we'll go back to waiting for prices to drop to book instead of booking early to get these perks.

This just barely changed to $69 - like a month ago! That's a fast hike. 2 years ago it was $49. Unbelievable. As someone who purchased it twice, and wouldn't sail without it, they'd better not stop the promo any time soon. That's nuts.

For anyone not finding it, here's a screenshot - hope you can see it.

Wondering if there is something in the small print that says they can alter the T & C's after bookings have been confirmed

I went to the website about a half hour ago and saw the $11 language, and just went back and they have changed it back to $15, so that's good.

I paid for the package when it was $54pp/pd, but there is no way I would do it at $79. Glad they seem to always offer it as a promo.

We decided last year to not sail NCL again after seeing all the price changes ( room service fees and such) ..... wanted a specific date for Venice and the Spirit was the only ship to have the dates we needed ( trust me we looked at every line) So we booked and were really surprised to find the 18 % on our free packages lol .. dining and booze ... but it was still the only ship to fit our time frame.... And now reading the ncl boards again I know we really will not book with them again ... it is just feels like they really dont understand that there is a limit to what we all will put up with ...there are far too many other choices out there

We decided last year to not sail NCL again after seeing all the price changes ( room service fees and such) ..... wanted a specific date for Venice and the Spirit was the only ship to have the dates we needed ( trust me we looked at every line) So we booked and were really surprised to find the 18 % on our free packages lol .. dining and booze ... but it was still the only ship to fit our time frame.... And now reading the ncl boards again I know we really will not book with them again ... it is just feels like they really dont understand that there is a limit to what we all will put up with ...there are far too many other choices out there

The only reason you'd be surprised to have found that 18% charge is if you didn't bother to read the terms before booking. I'll never understand how anyone books a vacation without bothering to read what the cost will be and all the terms, yet many people do that. If you booked prior to that change, you wouldn't have had to pay it, so we know you booked after it was implemented. That was your choice to do that.

The only reason you'd be surprised to have found that 18% charge is if you didn't bother to read the terms before booking. I'll never understand how anyone books a vacation without bothering to read what the cost will be and all the terms, yet many people do that. If you booked prior to that change, you wouldn't have had to pay it, so we know you booked after it was implemented. That was your choice to do that.

As you rightly point out Pizza a lot of people don't read the small print. I did, and wasn't happy about the18% gratuity at all, but the cruise was tremendous value. For all I know NCL are reducing prices for Eastern Caribbean, and Puerto Rico is one of our stops, because of the Zika Virus - currently prevalent in the area.

NCL, and I suspect a lot of other cruise lines, do it this way so they can keep their prices competitive - there are other sneaky add-ons too, but if you do your research you will not be caught unawares

But, back to the gratuity. I believe you can object and have it removed. Apparently there is a queue on embarkation day to do just this.

I saw a 2012 video (youtube) where it claimed, after adjustments and goodness knows what else, the MONTHLY wage was £32 for a member of the crew - probably one of the behind the scenes workers. Now for the people who say they will only tip direct, this leaves these workers out in the cold, working for the 2016 equivalent of £32 a month.

We don't know what portion of the 18% NCL actually pass on to the staff, but it is my understanding that if you do opt out and tip direct - your cabin steward/waiter/barman must declare the tip and put it in a communal pot. Otherwise they could lose their job.

As I said earlier our deal was brilliant. We do not begrudge the 18% and do hope the majority of it does get to the crew. We are also taking quite a lot of small denomination notes, so we can still tip the members who we feel are giving good service, and because we have prepaid the gratuity, they can keep it.

This is how I see it. If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct.

Edited by majoranna

You are correct !!! We were surprised by the charge when we booked ..but we booked it anyways ...we knew it was there when we chose it .... we were just shocked that they now included 18% on a free perk..we have had the bar package on other lines and never had to pay the grats on it ...and it is our choice to have it ...We have sailed NCL before and are just surprised by the changes ...

As you rightly point out Pizza a lot of people don't read the small print. I did, and wasn't happy about the18% gratuity at all, but the cruise was tremendous value. For all I know NCL are reducing prices for Eastern Caribbean, and Puerto Rico is one of our stops, because of the Zika Virus - currently prevalent in the area.

NCL, and I suspect a lot of other cruise lines, do it this way so they can keep their prices competitive - there are other sneaky add-ons too, but if you do your research you will not be caught unawares

But, back to the gratuity. I believe you can object and have it removed. Apparently there is a queue on embarkation day to do just this.

I saw a 2012 video (youtube) where it claimed, after adjustments and goodness knows what else, the MONTHLY wage was £32 for a member of the crew - probably one of the behind the scenes workers. Now for the people who say they will only tip direct, this leaves these workers out in the cold, working for the 2016 equivalent of £32 a month.

We don't know what portion of the 18% NCL actually pass on to the staff, but it is my understanding that if you do opt out and tip direct - your cabin steward/waiter/barman must declare the tip and put it in a communal pot. Otherwise they could lose their job.

As I said earlier our deal was brilliant. We do not begrudge the 18% and do hope the majority of it does get to the crew. We are also taking quite a lot of small denomination notes, so we can still tip the members who we feel are giving good service, and because we have prepaid the gratuity, they can keep it.

This is how I see it. If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct.

If you are removing gratuities now you must get a form from NCL and mail it in after the cruise is over.

I believe the 18% gratuity being talked about here has nothing to do with the cabin stewards or MDR servers.

Bill