Dressing up on Norwegian

Chinchbug

The wife and I are cruising to Alaska on the Jewel and we're kind of new to NCL (I cruised on the Southward and the Norway as a kid in the '80s). From what I've been reading, people like NCL because no one dresses up. Ever. Well, we have three kids and don't get to go out to nice restaurants very often- so a cruise ship is where we get to dress up and go to a nice dinner and a show. Are we going to be treated like pariahs and given the stink-eye for dressing up?

The wife and I are cruising to Alaska on the Jewel and we're kind of new to NCL (I cruised on the Southward and the Norway as a kid in the '80s). From what I've been reading, people like NCL because no one dresses up. Ever. Well, we have three kids and don't get to go out to nice restaurants very often- so a cruise ship is where we get to dress up and go to a nice dinner and a show. Are we going to be treated like pariahs and given the stink-eye for dressing up?

That's not true that NO ONE dresses up. Some people do but for the most part NCL is cruise casual. What do you consider "dressed up"?

Plenty of folks will wear suits and dresses to go to the specialty restaurants or shows. Do what you want to do...NCL FREESTYLE! :)

Freestyle doesn’t mean that you can’t dress up. It means that it is your decision whether to or not. Quite a few people decide that they want to.

What doesn’t happen all that much is people being judged on what they are wearing. If you want to wear your best clothes then you can do that. It’s up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'd definitely not true that no one dresses up. A lot of people do. But a lot of people do not dress up also. It is up to each individual to decide. The people who dress up generally dress up in "cocktail party" attire. Some men will wear suits, but most who dress up wear nice shirts and slacks and maybe a tie. The ladies who dress up often wear a short cocktail dress or something shiny and bedazzled. Families will often dress up to take advantage of the many photographer stations they have around the ship on some evenings around dinner time. Group pictures are very common and most who are getting them are dressed up in one fashion or another. So you will not be in a minority. But be aware that intermixed with all of those who dress up some, will be people in shorts and t-shirts. No one really cares. That's the NCL "freestyle".

Not at all. On NCL no one cares what you wear at night. Some people will be dressed up (don't let anyone kid you it is not a lot of people but enough that you will not be out of place). In AK many people will be in jeans, with nice shirts or sweaters. The vast majority will be country club casual.

Not at all. On NCL no one cares what you wear at night. Some people will be dressed up (don't let anyone kid you it is not a lot of people but enough that you will not be out of place). In AK many people will be in jeans, with nice shirts or sweaters. The vast majority will be country club casual.

NCL does have dress codes but they are not a strict as other cruise lines.

Someone in a tie for dinner and jacket will not be out of place however it is not an absolute requirement.

Not at all .I would say that about 20 % of the passengers dress up.

Just off the Bliss yesterday, our 2nd NCL cruise. My husband wore khaki pants & a collared shirt each dinner. A couple of times, his nicer dark dressier looking jeans and collared shirt. Our children, 8 & 10 wore smart casual. My daughter wore a summer dress with a cardigan overtop when she felt chilly. I wore dressier capri pants & tops at night. A couple of nights, a dressier top, with my dressier jeans. Many dressed as we did, many a lot more casual, and some more dressier. Anything goes

I don't think I've ever seen anyone in formal wear, doesn't mean people don't I just haven't seen anyone. Plenty of people were dressed up on the last two Alaska cruise's I did. On the Pearl I had a suit that I wore, last month on the Jewel I went a little more on the casual side with a sport coat and slacks. There aren't a lot of dress up type restaurant's around us, not that we go out much to eat, so I guess we're kind of in the same situation the cruise is our chance to dress up and have a nice diner.

We always dress for dinner in the specialty restaurants, our choice. By no means are we black tie, but we have seen it on board. We dressed for what we considered a "date night". You will see a little bit of everything. Whatever makes you happy... that is the beauty of freestyle cruising! Enjoy~

Many people dress up on the cruise, so you wouldn't be seen as the oddball family. I personally like NCL because there's no formal night, but I actually enjoy dressing up. I often wear a sports coat and a button down shirt during my cruises. So, if you want to dress you and your family up, go for it!

First and foremost, NCL embraces "dress up or not". The perception that all NCL cruisers are slobs is not correct. Most people dress like they are going out to dinner at home.

Gowns and tuxes are rarely seen any more.

Suits and ties, not so much, but people who like to dress up, do.

Dress shirts and slacks, many people will dress up like they are going to a nice dinner at home.

Hawaiian shirts and slacks, common.

Casual (shorts and polo shirts), common.