Car Rental in Cozomel

clianmel

Has anybody any advice as to whether renting a car in Cozumel is a good idea Any interesting and worthwhile sights to see. Are the roads and signage ok. I believe the rates are pretty reasonable and for probably our twelfth visit to Cozumel it may be an affordable way to expand our horizons? Any recommendations as to a reputable car hire company would also be appreciated

Thanks in anticipation of some helpful replies

Has anybody any advice as to whether renting a car in Cozumel is a good idea Any interesting and worthwhile sights to see. Are the roads and signage ok. I believe the rates are pretty reasonable and for probably our twelfth visit to Cozumel it may be an affordable way to expand our horizons? Any recommendations as to a reputable car hire company would also be appreciated

Thanks in anticipation of some helpful replies

We did rent a car in Coz many years ago when we were staying on island for a week. It's not a big island and is mostly flat jungle, so there isn't really much there. A ship tour would let you see as much or more. If you have the time, you might consider taking one of the ferries across to PDC, there would be much more to see on the mainland.

All this being said, I urge you to do your homework and investigate the rules regarding tourists renting cars in Mexico. There was a time, and I don't know whether it has changed, where Mexico operated under "guilty until proven innocent" If you are involved in a car accident with injury or damage to public or government property, whether or not it was your fault, you could be held by the police until the issue was resolved. Plenty of Google results detailing these stories. Bottom line, we go on cruises to Mexico at least once a year, sometimes more, and we never rent a car there. To us, not worth the risk when we're on vacation.

We’ve rented a car a couple of times. I think Cozumel is a great place to do this. The roads are generally good. You can’t get lost. There’s just one road that circles the island. I like being able to stop where you please for as long as you please without a bunch of noisy drunks in a van.

Use caution. Pony up for the insurance. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do it! To this day it is one of the best shore days we've ever had. We rented a Jeep and circled the island. Punta Sur has a lighthouse that we climbed and a small museum and crocodile reserve. Then we headed to the windward side of the island. The surf is really rough and the shore is very rocky in places, but there are blow holes and natural bridges- and almost no people. We really loved it. There is one nice little sandy beach- I think that's where Coconuts is. Then we headed inland to the San Gervasio ruins. Not very impressive compared to other ruins, but a nice cultural stop on our tour. I think we got ripped off refueling - the gas station was only full service and in Pesos and liters- but still worth it for sure. We really felt like we were exploring rather than just being herded around.

It is a good idea - just make sure you know what you are actually paying and get the insurance. We rented from Rentadora ISIS without any issues (there are good reviews if you google it) and the price listed on their website is the price we paid, and includes insurance. Be aware that most of the cars are manual transmission and if you need an auto, you may have to pay extra (and be sure to reserve beforehand)

Even with insurance, you may find glass breakage and tire damage are not covered. Right of police to hold you is true. We rented a car from AVIS thinking it was a safe bet... but they hand wrote a contract and copied our credit card info onto it... and the credit card was sold to criminals. We used that card only for that transaction and a few months later got a call from Western Union as someone tried to pull a cash advance off it in Canada.

Now I would hire a driver.

Even with insurance, you may find glass breakage and tire damage are not covered. Right of police to hold you is true. We rented a car from AVIS thinking it was a safe bet... but they hand wrote a contract and copied our credit card info onto it... and the credit card was sold to criminals. We used that card only for that transaction and a few months later got a call from Western Union as someone tried to pull a cash advance off it in Canada.

Now I would hire a driver.

which is why you rent from Isis.

We always rent a jeep and drive to Coconuts and stop at a few other places. Just be smart, and careful. Have fun!

Hi - how / who from do you rent the Jeep? This is exactly what we want to do. We've been there a few times, have done the tours and now just want to explore the places we've been - on our own. AND we want to rent a jeep, not a sedan. THANK YOU!

Hi - how / who from do you rent the Jeep? This is exactly what we want to do. We've been there a few times, have done the tours and now just want to explore the places we've been - on our own. AND we want to rent a jeep, not a sedan. THANK YOU!

Hey there buddy! We go to one of the last rental places on the left, just before leaving the little plaza. I think they are branded with Avis. But, i have heard that the one they call ISIS is pretty good too. You can reserve that one online.

We hit this one gas station on the way back through town, not the one right by the pier, have heard some rip off stories about that one.

Have fun my friends!!

Cozumel is so easy to drive around. If you have your own snorkel gear and do your homework you can be on your own time to explore and snorkel. We were there on cruises and a land vacation and I would never waste money on a tour unless they were taking me to a fantastic reef that wasnt reachable by shore. I'd reserve a car now if you cant drive manual.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Cozumel is so easy to drive around. If you have your own snorkel gear and do your homework you can be on your own time to explore and snorkel. We were there on cruises and a land vacation and I would never waste money on a tour unless they were taking me to a fantastic reef that wasnt reachable by shore. I'd reserve a car now if you cant drive manual.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much!! We got the reservation and DH can drive manual so no problems there. Thanks for the tip on photos Bf we leave of the state of the vehicle. I’ve already been looking at maps and noting some of the beaches it suggests to snorkel at.. looking forward to a really great day!!